Jeff Garrett Gets Release from NKU

Page 2 of And another ones gone and another ones gone... Advertisement 0 0 0    ... 31 comments | 2524 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    Bench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,028

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Statistically, Carson Williams was a top three starter. He started 27 of 32 games. He was 3rd on the team in scoring. He shot 61% from the floor for the season. He was 2nd on the team in rebounding. He was 3rd on the team in steals. He tied for 3rd on the team in blocked shots. Those are the numbers. Also, by the way, in arguably the most important game of the year for NKU (conference championship vs. Cleveland St.) Williams posted a double double.

    Mason Faulkner, the guy someone said only wants to shoot, was #2 on the team in assists per game (while coming off the bench). Faulkner's assist to turnover ratio was #1 on the team - better than Holland's. Faulkner was #6 on the team in minutes played. None of that is meant to insinuate Faulkner should have been starting, but it does lend credibility to him being one of the top subs.

    I am just posting real numbers. Nothing subjective. These are facts.

    Now, as to what the roles of those two would have been next year, no one knows. You don't know because I asked you what next year's lineup would be and you said you don't know. And that will all be speculation at this point anyway.
    You pointing out how much Mason passed and me telling you he said he wants to shoot more and isn’t happy with his role seems to line up, no?

    Carson wasn’t a starter at the end of the year. So you can’t be a top 3 starter if you weren’t a starter. I wish Carson hadn’t left but his attitude clearly reflected in his play so if that’s the Carson we were gonna get then I’m glad he decided to go somewhere he’d be happy. His numbers, while bolstered from a strong start, look good, I agree. But if you watched every game, as I did, you’d easily be able to see why he was benched. He was in a different place on the court. And it showed.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    Bench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,028

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post

    Now, as to what the roles of those two would have been next year, no one knows. You don't know because I asked you what next year's lineup would be and you said you don't know. And that will all be speculation at this point anyway.
    Youre correct it would be. If I had to guess right now I’d say:

    Zay, Drew, Tate, Walton and Adheke. But three of those could be wrong.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    452

    Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    Is the same guy that is recruiting them releasing them? Are they all Brannen's recruits?
    Actually I believe Bezold started the recruitment of Williams, saw him at several HS games before he was let go.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    29,372

    Quote Originally Posted by Bench View Post
    You pointing out how much Mason passed and me telling you he said he wants to shoot more and isn’t happy with his role seems to line up, no?

    Carson wasn’t a starter at the end of the year. So you can’t be a top 3 starter if you weren’t a starter. I wish Carson hadn’t left but his attitude clearly reflected in his play so if that’s the Carson we were gonna get then I’m glad he decided to go somewhere he’d be happy. His numbers, while bolstered from a strong start, look good, I agree. But if you watched every game, as I did, you’d easily be able to see why he was benched. He was in a different place on the court. And it showed.
    By benched I assume you mean no longer starting. Even in the games he didn't start he was playing significant minutes. In the Horizon title game vs. Cleveland St. he played about the same minutes as everyone except Holland and McDonald. In 23 minutes in that game he had a double double on 4-6 shooting from the floor. Those numbers don't reflect a "benched" player or attitude being a problem. Just trying to keep the discussion real and balanced.

  5. #20
    Bench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,028

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    By benched I assume you mean no longer starting. Even in the games he didn't start he was playing significant minutes. In the Horizon title game vs. Cleveland St. he played about the same minutes as everyone except Holland and McDonald. In 23 minutes in that game he had a double double on 4-6 shooting from the floor. Those numbers don't reflect a "benched" player or attitude being a problem. Just trying to keep the discussion real and balanced.
    Ok.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    south of the river
    Posts
    435

    If the team wanted to change its identity and wanted their bigs to be able to stretch the floor then I would understand the change and agree the split was good for everyone. Carson didn't become lazy. He isn't a rah rah guy, never was. He was told he had a bad attitude because he was not supporting the new lineup. Bench has inside info from the coaches perspective, others have info from the players perspective. The divorce was best for all. They have grown apart.

  7. #22
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    62,737

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonQ View Post
    If the team wanted to change its identity and wanted their bigs to be able to stretch the floor then I would understand the change and agree the split was good for everyone. Carson didn't become lazy. He isn't a rah rah guy, never was. He was told he had a bad attitude because he was not supporting the new lineup. Bench has inside info from the coaches perspective, others have info from the players perspective. The divorce was best for all. They have grown apart.
    Not supporting the new lineup would seem to be the very definition of having a bad attitude.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    south of the river
    Posts
    435

    He was told he was not supportive because he was not cheering on the bench. He did not cheerlead at Owen County. Dude is one of the most stoic people I have met. I am not sure his facial expression would change if he won the lottery. I am not looking to argue. Every divorce I have ever seen has blame to share on both sides. Brannon's not innocent in this, neither is Carson.

  9. #24
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    51,278

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonQ View Post
    He was told he was not supportive because he was not cheering on the bench. He did not cheerlead at Owen County. Dude is one of the most stoic people I have met. I am not sure his facial expression would change if he won the lottery. I am not looking to argue. Every divorce I have ever seen has blame to share on both sides. Brannon's not innocent in this, neither is Carson.
    Why does anyone have to be not guilty of anything? It was in the player's and the program's best interest that he tranfer.

    Why does there need to be drama with it?

  10. #25
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    19,377

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    Why does anyone have to be not guilty of anything? It was in the player's and the program's best interest that he tranfer.

    Why does there need to be drama with it?
    Dont know that it is as much about drama as it is honesty.

  11. #26
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,283

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Dont know that it is as much about drama as it is honesty.
    Even the posts from the "players perspective" have suggested that Brannen was 100% honest. If you want to call it "honest to a fault" I might listen, but I'm not sure how telling a player exactly what you expect of his role drifts anywhere close to dishonesty...

  12. #27
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    19,377

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    Even the posts from the "players perspective" have suggested that Brannen was 100% honest. If you want to call it "honest to a fault" I might listen, but I'm not sure how telling a player exactly what you expect of his role drifts anywhere close to dishonesty...
    To be clear, I never said anyone was being dishonest.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    south of the river
    Posts
    435

    Posters have painted the transfers as not being team players and not accepting their role. I disagree. Not looking for drama. Several paint Brannen in a very favorable role while casting shade on the players. I agree that a coach should recruit over every player on the team. It is the players responsibility to continue to improve as a player, otherwise, he will lose his spot. I'm a big advocate for Carson but hey, he can't shoot. He hs to own that. However, I don't think the NKU staff has been real supportive to Carson changing his game. They knew he was a 6'5 post player. They haven't done much to help him improve his game. I think they were content to move him to the bench because of his lack of size. Every player deserves to know what they need to do to expand their role. Brannen being portrayed as honest to a fault - I'm not buying that. That doesn't make him any different than any other D1 coach though.

  14. #29
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,283

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonQ View Post
    Posters have painted the transfers as not being team players and not accepting their role. I disagree. Not looking for drama. Several paint Brannen in a very favorable role while casting shade on the players. I agree that a coach should recruit over every player on the team. It is the players responsibility to continue to improve as a player, otherwise, he will lose his spot. I'm a big advocate for Carson but hey, he can't shoot. He hs to own that. However, I don't think the NKU staff has been real supportive to Carson changing his game. They knew he was a 6'5 post player. They haven't done much to help him improve his game. I think they were content to move him to the bench because of his lack of size. Every player deserves to know what they need to do to expand their role. Brannen being portrayed as honest to a fault - I'm not buying that. That doesn't make him any different than any other D1 coach though.
    I'm only using your words to portray the situation as you paint it. Being honest with a kid is telling him this is the role the staff expects you to fill. If the kid wants a different role, that's also fine. To call what you have described as dishonest is not representing the picture you have painted...

  15. #30
    Bench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,028

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonQ View Post
    Posters have painted the transfers as not being team players and not accepting their role. I disagree. Not looking for drama. Several paint Brannen in a very favorable role while casting shade on the players. I agree that a coach should recruit over every player on the team. It is the players responsibility to continue to improve as a player, otherwise, he will lose his spot. I'm a big advocate for Carson but hey, he can't shoot. He hs to own that. However, I don't think the NKU staff has been real supportive to Carson changing his game. They knew he was a 6'5 post player. They haven't done much to help him improve his game. I think they were content to move him to the bench because of his lack of size. Every player deserves to know what they need to do to expand their role. Brannen being portrayed as honest to a fault - I'm not buying that. That doesn't make him any different than any other D1 coach though.
    I will let you have this stage to paint whatever picture you want for a while, but to let you portray someone who is probably one of the most honest, genuine people I know as anything but is not gonna fly. There’s a reason John has the reputation he does as a recruiter, coach and person.

    Am am I biased, hell yes I am. But there are very few people in the world I would go to bat for and be completely, 100% confident doing so for. John Brannen is one of those people. Him and his entire family are simply as good as you’ll find.

    I have no no doubt John was completely honest with Carson and every other guy who has come in or out of here. Things may change but I’m certain if that was the case that was relayed to the player in some manner. They may not like it, but can’t help that.

    I think the resentment for Carson leaving comes in the fact that his attitude and demeanor drastically changed halfway through last season. You can deny it all you want but his stoic presence appeared to be sulking for the majority of last year. We talked about it a lot as the year went on. It was evident. I get that you may not have noticed as you clearly have some connection to him but it was clear to others who were close to the team.

Top