James Wiseman Announcing Tomorrow

Page 3 of #1 overall player in the 2019 class. He'll be heading to play for Penny and the hometown Tigers barring a stunner. Advertisement 0 0 0    ... 47 comments | 2815 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,052

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    Just a passing thought. What did we learn from the FBI case that didn't get even a tenth of the attention it deserved? How much was being paid to kids and their families to play for high level AAU teams. What AAU team did Wiseman play for? What high school did he move 4.5 hours from home to play at? The hay is already in the barn here. It isn't that hard to connect the dots, and they aren't as simple as "well Penny coached him already,". Or maybe it is...
    Didn’t all this happen before there was any inkling that Hardaway would end up as coach at Memphis? The dots are pretty far apart...
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,484

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    Didn’t all this happen before there was any inkling that Hardaway would end up as coach at Memphis? The dots are pretty far apart...
    Kids are getting paid to play at the highest level of AAU. That is a stone cold fact. If you want to believe Team Penny didn't operate with a recruiting budget like all of the other big time AAU programs, that's fine. Not smart, but you are free to do you...

  3. #33
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,052

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    Kids are getting paid to play at the highest level of AAU. That is a stone cold fact. If you want to believe Team Penny didn't operate with a recruiting budget like all of the other big time AAU programs, that's fine. Not smart, but you are free to do you...
    Oh no, I don’t disagree with that, but my point was the AAU and high school relationships were forged before UM was in the picture. And I believe there are “assets” changing hands to get players to colleges. Some are just better at it than others.

  4. #34
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,052

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    Kids are getting paid to play at the highest level of AAU. That is a stone cold fact. If you want to believe Team Penny didn't operate with a recruiting budget like all of the other big time AAU programs, that's fine. Not smart, but you are free to do you...
    Oh no, I don’t disagree with that, but my point was the AAU and high school relationships were forged before UM was in the picture. And I believe there are “assets” changing hands to get players to colleges. Some are just better at it than others.

  5. #35
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,484

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    Oh no, I don’t disagree with that, but my point was the AAU and high school relationships were forged before UM was in the picture. And I believe there are “assets” changing hands to get players to colleges. Some are just better at it than others.
    If Penny has been funding this kid for years and then becomes a college coach and ends up landing the kid, well you know. I get you want to see it differently from the lense of a Memphis fan, but it is what it is...

  6. #36
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,052

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    If Penny has been funding this kid for years and then becomes a college coach and ends up landing the kid, well you know. I get you want to see it differently from the lense of a Memphis fan, but it is what it is...
    I see where that can be an issue even if it were not part of a grander plan so to speak.

  7. #37
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    53,154

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    I see where that can be an issue even if it were not part of a grander plan so to speak.
    Ya think?

  8. #38
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,052

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    Ya think?
    Yes.

  9. #39
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,484

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    I see where that can be an issue even if it were not part of a grander plan so to speak.
    Do you think Penny's grand plan didn't include becoming the head coach at Memphis? That he didn't sell the decision makers on his access to James Wiseman and every kid that played for Team Penny in the job interview? Or Mike Miller as an assistant with his access to M33M? Come on doomer...

  10. #40
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,052

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    Do you think Penny's grand plan didn't include becoming the head coach at Memphis? That he didn't sell the decision makers on his access to James Wiseman and every kid that played for Team Penny in the job interview? Or Mike Miller as an assistant with his access to M33M? Come on doomer...
    The second part is a no-brainer...of course his access to talent was his selling point. However to link this to a grand plan, maybe, but is a stretch in the time window of these particular players. That is my point.

  11. #41
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,269

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    Just a passing thought. What did we learn from the FBI case that didn't get even a tenth of the attention it deserved? How much was being paid to kids and their families to play for high level AAU teams. What AAU team did Wiseman play for? What high school did he move 4.5 hours from home to play at? The hay is already in the barn here. It isn't that hard to connect the dots, and they aren't as simple as "well Penny coached him already,". Or maybe it is...
    Which is why I don't understand why people are freaking out over this. It's not like this is new information.

  12. #42
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    "Weakness is strong, we must be stronger."
    Posts
    22,809

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Which is why I don't understand why people are freaking out over this. It's not like this is new information.
    Cal needs to sponsor an AAU team?

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,563

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    Cal needs to sponsor an AAU team?
    I thought he coached the Teen USA Team. Is that similar?

  14. #44
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    "Weakness is strong, we must be stronger."
    Posts
    22,809

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatz View Post
    I thought he coached the Teen USA Team. Is that similar?
    We’ll have to ask GT but I think he flopped on that.

  15. #45
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    31,810

    Until Cal recruits a class that isn't ranked in the top 2 or 3 in the nation, he is fine doing what he is doing.

Top