Dontaie Allen Commits to Kentucky

  1. #1
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    47,212

    Dontaie Allen Commits to Kentucky

    Per KSR
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    20,934

    Glad to see this happen. Allen is a great addition to next year’s team.

  3. #3
    LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    In God's hands
    Posts
    56,250

    Tell me more about this young man? Who would you compare him to? Darius Miller?

  4. #4
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    66,211

    An excerpt from Ben Roberts' story on Kentucky.com:

    The original plan was for Allen to take more recruiting visits this fall, but his father, Tony Thomas, said he gave UK an “instant” commitment when Calipari informed him of the scholarship offer Wednesday night. Allen clearly knew where he wanted to go.

    “Kentucky has always been in his heart,” Thomas told the Herald-Leader on Thursday. “We were going to keep the options open and just see where we landed at, but by going on the visit and sitting down and having a conversation with Coach Cal, it just felt right.”

    Louisville, Xavier, Vanderbilt and West Virginia were all considered to be top contenders before the UK offer, and he also had recent scholarship offers from Florida, Auburn, Western Kentucky and several other programs.

    Kentucky basketball star Dontaie Allen commits to UK | Lexington Herald Leader

  5. #5
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    66,211

    Thrilled for Dontaie. His incredible work ethic has paid off. Congratulations, young man.

  6. #6
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    66,211

    Quote Originally Posted by LRCW View Post
    Tell me more about this young man? Who would you compare him to? Darius Miller?
    A scoring wing. Can get his shot from just about anywhere. Crazy work ethic. Great kid and very unselfish teammate.

    Smaller than Miller, but a similar demeanor.

  7. #7
    sumoroyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Maysville, KY
    Posts
    8,999

    A big step toward Mr. Basketball.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    3,731

    My heart has skipped a couple beats hearing this news. My eyes have known for sometime this young man can flatout play. His smoothness has made some question his athleticism. I don't know what that word means. Does it mean speed? All I can say he gets separation anytime he wants...wheter on the break or in the halfcourt. Does it mean verticality? Finishes above the rim too many times for me to count. Some compare him to Darius Miller, but knock his size. Not sure how cut Darius was at 17. Dontae can play and possibly will be there for four years. Congrats!!!!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,483

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    A scoring wing. Can get his shot from just about anywhere. Crazy work ethic. Great kid and very unselfish teammate.

    Smaller than Miller, but a similar demeanor.
    I bet he’s pretty close in size to Miller.

  10. #10
    SHAMROCK69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Home of the 2012 National Champions " Trinity ROCKS and Kentucky Wildcats"
    Posts
    2,647

    Great news. Go Cats!!!!

  11. #11
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    52,173

    I bet a lot of the "UK needs more Kentucky players" are happy with this announcement.

    I saw him play once. I'm curious about what @gametime would say about him, if he care to give a player breakdown.

  12. #12
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,407

    High skill level, especially as a shooter. Plays hard, but doesn't have high end athleticism. Think he will have a tough time if switched on to a guard on the perimeter, but with some added strength and lateral quickness could be serviceable. Biggest concern is he doesn't really have the ability to put it on the floor and go by the type of wings he will face at the highest level. That could make him more one dimensional on the offensive end...

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 18
    Posts
    256

    Happy to have him more than DJ Jeffries. Go Ky boy.

  14. #14
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    59,999

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldercoach View Post
    My heart has skipped a couple beats hearing this news. My eyes have known for sometime this young man can flatout play. His smoothness has made some question his athleticism. I don't know what that word means. Does it mean speed? All I can say he gets separation anytime he wants...wheter on the break or in the halfcourt. Does it mean verticality? Finishes above the rim too many times for me to count. Some compare him to Darius Miller, but knock his size. Not sure how cut Darius was at 17. Dontae can play and possibly will be there for four years. Congrats!!!!
    That was the rap on Darius. He was often accused of "not trying hard", when the fact was that he was smoother than pretty much anyone he stepped on the floor with during his senior year (not to mention the deadly euro-step that was often called a walk). Things turned out just fine for Darius.

    Congrats to Dontaie!!

  15. #15
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    145,088

    Congrats Dontaie!

    I can't wait to see you suit up for the Cats! Cats! Cats!

Top