Composite College Basketball Ranking

Page 3 of Copying off LC Dawgs' poll in the H.S. Basketball forum, I thought it would be interesting to rank the Top 20 College Basketball Teams by using the 3 m... 59 comments | 2855 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Sep 13
    Location
    Shang Ri La
    Posts
    2,769

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    They are in the RPI, which is what I believe Getslow was referring to with rankings...
    Kenpom is being discussed. Kenpom is whats highlighted in his quote. He is referring to his own ranking and how it differs from RPI. I just read the blog.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,291

    Quote Originally Posted by Iam4thecats View Post
    Kenpom is being discussed. Kenpom is whats highlighted in his quote. He is referring to his own ranking and how it differs from RPI. I just read the blog.
    You're correct, I misread his post, but mcpapa's point remains. A 2 point home win over Michigan State is vastly more impressive than a 2 point road win over a Grand Canyon or Chattanooga.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Sep 13
    Location
    Shang Ri La
    Posts
    2,769

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    You're correct, I misread his post, but mcpapa's point remains. A 2 point home win over Michigan State is vastly more impressive than a 2 point road win over a Grand Canyon or Chattanooga.
    Good thing you read my post and saw where I agree although I never mentioned Grand Canyon.

  4. #34
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    14,768

    I'm sure everyone knows this already, but the RPI gives you credit for 1.4 wins with a road win and .6 wins for a home win. I get that you all probably know that already, but I just feel better saying it aloud.

  5. #35
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    In Lothlorien, where the trees bore flowers of gold and no evil thing ever dared come.
    Posts
    23,122

    I encourage all of you to go and read the blog post. He uses these numbers to divide wins into tiers. That's all I meant to suggest at first: that winning some games on the road makes them more noteworthy than winning a game against the same team at home.

    Of course some of the single games are not equivalent... but look at my examples, a lot of them are. And that's exactly Pomeroy's point.

    All wins over top 20 teams at home, top 50 teams on neutral sites, or top 90 wins on the road are all classified as Tier A wins for the purpose of examining resumes. That's literally all I was talking about.

  6. #36
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,291

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    I encourage all of you to go and read the blog post. He uses these numbers to divide wins into tiers. That's all I meant to suggest at first: that winning some games on the road makes them more noteworthy than winning a game against the same team at home.

    Of course some of the single games are not equivalent... but look at my examples, a lot of them are. And that's exactly Pomeroy's point.

    All wins over top 20 teams at home, top 50 teams on neutral sites, or top 90 wins on the road are all classified as Tier A wins for the purpose of examining resumes. That's literally all I was talking about.
    Which exposes just how flawed his system is.

  7. #37
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    In Lothlorien, where the trees bore flowers of gold and no evil thing ever dared come.
    Posts
    23,122

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Which exposes just how flawed his system is.
    Why? I find it fascinating when using the tiers to examine potential tournament resumes.

  8. #38
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,291

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    Why? I find it fascinating when using the tiers to examine potential tournament resumes.
    Because for resume purposes it gives the same weight to a road win over Grand Canyon as it does a home win over Michigan State. If you don't see the flaw in that, I can't help you.

  9. #39
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    In Lothlorien, where the trees bore flowers of gold and no evil thing ever dared come.
    Posts
    23,122

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Because for resume purposes it gives the same weight to a road win over Grand Canyon as it does a home win over Michigan State. If you don't see the flaw in that, I can't help you.
    It's a first glance tool, nothing more. It's interesting statistically speaking and gives a little insight into the difficulty in winning on the road in conference play. No need to read into it any more than that.

  10. #40
    Bipsic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 15
    Posts
    621

    I'm mostly being facetious, but have you seen Grand Canyon's home court advantage?

  11. #41
    Bipsic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 15
    Posts
    621

    The student section at Grand Canyon University is the biggest party in college basketball - SBNation.com

    Louisville is going to lose there next year and everyone will overreact.

  12. #42
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    61,602

    Quote Originally Posted by Iam4thecats View Post
    That's a straw man argument because neither of those teams are top 90.
    Depends on who you believe, I guess. Both are in the RPI top 90.

    85 IPFW .5593 15-6 191 81 265 74 130 0-1 0-3 0-0 10-2 98 3.5 -3.7 -0.2
    86 Siena .5588 14-7 169 145 75 130 227 0-0 0-2 2-1 9-3 145 3.9 0.2 4.1

    And yes, I understand that we're not talking about identical populations.

    I can't believe I'm agreeing with nerdboy. If you're a bubble team, is your home win over Michigan State a better argument for inclusion in the tourney than your road win over Grand Canyon (or Siena)? I say yes.

  13. #43
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,291

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    Depends on who you believe, I guess. Both are in the RPI top 90.

    85 IPFW .5593 15-6 191 81 265 74 130 0-1 0-3 0-0 10-2 98 3.5 -3.7 -0.2
    86 Siena .5588 14-7 169 145 75 130 227 0-0 0-2 2-1 9-3 145 3.9 0.2 4.1

    And yes, I understand that we're not talking about identical populations.

    I can't believe I'm agreeing with nerdboy. If you're a bubble team, is your home win over Michigan State a better argument for inclusion in the tourney than your road win over Grand Canyon (or Siena)? I say yes.

  14. #44
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    9,246

    19? I'll take it!

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Location
    Negan's Compound
    Posts
    3,847

    Quote Originally Posted by afi100guy View Post
    I think they are 5-10 and will be a 2 or 3 seed. They are Final Four caliber.
    I might give you a run though on the fandom.
    Current bracketology has X as the 1 seed in the Midwest

Top