Cincinnati 78 NKU 65

  1. #1
    Walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Location
    Union, KY
    Posts
    15,198

    Cincinnati 78 NKU 65

    Final.

    Tyler Sharpe his a couple late 3's to make the score a little more respectable.

    Rough day for Drew. 3-15 for 8 pts but pulled down 9 rbs.

    Bearcats improve to 8-1 with X coming up on Sat.
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 15
    Posts
    197

    Cincinnati won the free throw contest 26 for 33. NKU 6 for 15. Refs really took NKU out of it early.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    678

    Quote Originally Posted by BB guy View Post
    Cincinnati won the free throw contest 26 for 33. NKU 6 for 15. Refs really took NKU out of it early.
    Joe Lindsay in the house....

  4. #4
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,456

    Quote Originally Posted by BB guy View Post
    Cincinnati won the free throw contest 26 for 33. NKU 6 for 15. Refs really took NKU out of it early.
    NKU on average fouls 23 times a game. Last night they were called for 23 fouls. It wasn’t on the refs they foul way too much...

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    678

    Nothing really went the Norse way after the first six minutes or so. Next 12 minutes was filled with missed free throws, UC making nearly every free throw (16 for 18 at the half), and defensive breakdowns.

    You can't win with McDonald going 3 for 15 and Walton going 2 for 11. Both missed a ton of inside shots--Walton 2 lay ups and Drew didn't make a shot in the first half.

    Disappointing that they didn't give themselves a chance although they had multiple shots to get it back to single digits with 11 or 12 minutes left and couldn't do it. It would have a least made things interesting.

    Officials didn't help but it doesn't matter when you're 6 for 15 at the line. The "T" on Brannen was a joke unless someone can tell me that he said some "magic words".

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    678

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    NKU on average fouls 23 times a game. Last night they were called for 23 fouls. It wasn’t on the refs they foul way too much...
    I wouldn't question hardly any of the fouls ON the Norse. In fact, they played poor defense and had four or five dumb fouls. It was what wasn't called on UC (and the "T").

  7. #7
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,456

    The technical was awful. No argument there...

  8. #8
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    52,651

    Was worried that the Bearcats would just be too strong for the Norse and from talking to fans while I was working, that's what it sounded like.

    I am sure Brannen and the Norse would have liked to have a little better showing, but I still love that this game was played.

  9. #9
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,167

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    NKU on average fouls 23 times a game. Last night they were called for 23 fouls. It wasn’t on the refs they foul way too much...
    Hurts when you have a guy (Vogt) who can't play more than 30 seconds without hacking the crap out of people.

  10. #10
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,167

    Honestly, I thought the officiating was pretty on par. I think the Bearcats got away with a few things, but that happens when you're physically and athletically superior to your opponents.

    NKU did not play very well IMO. UC didn't give up many open looks, but when they did the Norse couldn't capitalize. That's a recipe for disaster when your playing teams with superior talent.

  11. #11
    newarkcatholicfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Buckeye Lake, Ohio
    Posts
    41,512

    Nice to see Cincy take care of business.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    678

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Honestly, I thought the officiating was pretty on par. I think the Bearcats got away with a few things, but that happens when you're physically and athletically superior to your opponents.

    NKU did not play very well IMO. UC didn't give up many open looks, but when they did the Norse couldn't capitalize. That's a recipe for disaster when your playing teams with superior talent.
    I thought NKU got good looks all night. They were 11 for 25 on threes and I don't remember many bad ones. They got into the paint quite a bit. Drew made his moves inside but nothing was falling for him--the help defender blocked him a couple of times but nothing like UCF. They got more offensive rebounds than UC and had several put-backs baskets. They didn't get into late shot clock situations that I can remember. And, they had no trouble with UC's press--I don't remember a turnover against full-court pressure.

    UCF shut NKU down in the second half--blocked shots, no open threes, etc--I never felt like that last night. UC played good defense but nothing like that although I don't think that was UC's A-game in play or effort. Though spot for them, which is why I liked NKU's chances to play with them going in. UC was pretty focused from the beginning.

  13. #13
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,456

    NKU was 8-22 from three until Sharpe threw in three in a row when the game was out of reach. UC grabbed 13 of 18 missed shots in the first half to totally dominate the glass. A 72% offensive rebound rate is bonkers.

    UC wasn’t trapping and trying to force pressure in the press. It was designed to slow NKU down and keep them from running crisp offense, and it worked all night.

    We must have watched a different game. It was a blowout for 30 minutes...

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    678

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    NKU was 8-22 from three until Sharpe threw in three in a row when the game was out of reach. UC grabbed 13 of 18 missed shots in the first half to totally dominate the glass. A 72% offensive rebound rate is bonkers.

    UC wasn’t trapping and trying to force pressure in the press. It was designed to slow NKU down and keep them from running crisp offense, and it worked all night.

    We must have watched a different game. It was a blowout for 30 minutes...
    Most coaches in America will take 8 for 22 when they're a significant underdog and anyone would take 11 for 25 (the last three DO count).

    I didn't say UC didn't dominate the glass in the first half, so not sure what your point was there.

    UC was running a match-up press and NKU got the ball inbounds and didn't get rushed or out of control which is what it is designed to do. Even if Mick put a red light on the traps, they still handled full court man pressure without a turnover. I'll take it. You didn't dispute any of the points I made about NKU's night offensively.

    No one would call a game that was a 12-point game with 12 minutes left (and never over 20) a blowout. UC was in control for the last 30 minutes but that's a very loose definition of a blowout if you want to call it that.

  15. #15
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,456

    Cincinnati was up 74-54 with 2:38 left. That's a blowout. They put in the walkon with over a minute left and Sharpe threw in three triples that absolutely didn't matter. The game wasn't nearly as close as the final score indicates...

Top