Ben Simmons should declare for the NBA Draft RIGHT NOW!!!

Page 3 of Originally Posted by John Anthony So what about... Wall Cousins Davis Towns Should they have quit mid year? Read post #1. Those guys situations were no... 66 comments | 2759 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    22,050

    He is being failed so much that his play so far this season has him projected as the #1 pick.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    "In God we trust- everyone else, keep your hands where I can see 'em!"
    Posts
    4,702

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16 View Post
    He is being failed so much that his play so far this season has him projected as the #1 pick.
    His talent and hard work may have had just a little to do with his status as a number 1 pick, wouldn't you say? He was that dude out of HS and he is still that dude.

  3. #33
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    21,407

    LSU won't be in the NCAA tournament unless they win the SEC tourney, which they won't.
    And when UK thumps them by about 20 in Lexington on March 5th that will be the finisher.

    Simmons chose the wrong coach and school, no doubt about that. His teammates completely ignored him from the time they had a double digit lead until they lost. That's the coaches ' fault. You go to your stud horse down the stretch and ride him to the finish line. He should have called timeout and raked some guys overs the hot coals.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    1,687

    Quote Originally Posted by born2reign View Post
    If his team mates won't follow, he can't lead. If his coach won't provide the opportunities, he can't be a good team mate.

    His opportunity has nothing to do with a decaying society or a high school junior's opportunity. That really is a red herring, IMO.

    The bottom line is he is not in a situation that is good for his future development as a player. He has dealt with 20 games of adversity. He has learned lessons. He put in enough to cement his place at the top of the NBA Draft board.

    Ben Simmons is being failed by LSU. His team mates get time in front of NBA scouts because of him. His coach is not developing him as a basketball player as he should. LSU makes hundreds of thousands, if not over a million, dollars in merchandise, ticket sales and tv revenues because of him. He is getting the short end of the stick. Time to cut bait. It isn't about emotion, it is about reason, IMO.
    Just some food for thought. Coming in to todays game Simmons had almost 100 more shot attempts to the next closest player on the team. Obviously he is the leading scorer, rebounder, shot blocker, assist leader, steal leader, and turnover leader. Today his touches were limited. He was 6 gf 7 from the field and had 9 rebounds. I would think Oklahoma did a decent job on him, yet were on the ropes because the 2 guards Quarterman and Blakeny were 8 for 10 from 3 point range. If a guy has 100 more shots than anyone else on his team, I would think some offense is undoubtedly being run through him......More importantly Simmons chose LSU, just like the 6er's will chose him...............He may rather play at LSU if that is the alternative

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    "In God we trust- everyone else, keep your hands where I can see 'em!"
    Posts
    4,702

    Quote Originally Posted by jlow View Post
    Just some food for thought. Coming in to todays game Simmons had almost 100 more shot attempts to the next closest player on the team. Obviously he is the leading scorer, rebounder, shot blocker, assist leader, steal leader, and turnover leader. Today his touches were limited. He was 6 gf 7 from the field and had 9 rebounds. I would think Oklahoma did a decent job on him, yet were on the ropes because the 2 guards Quarterman and Blakeny were 8 for 10 from 3 point range. If a guy has 100 more shots than anyone else on his team, I would think some offense is undoubtedly being run through him......More importantly Simmons chose LSU, just like the 6er's will chose him...............He may rather play at LSU if that is the alternative
    If your argument for why he should keep playing is about 5 more shot attempts per game and playing for the Sixers, then I strongly disagree.

    1. Regardless of if he declares in the next 30 seconds or finishes the season, the Sixers are a possible destination.

    2. Even with 100 more shot attempts, the analysts today said Simmons isn't aggressive enough (and, mind you, his team was winning by double digits at the time). Today was not the first time this has happened. Check his box scores. Watch his games. His team mates freeze him out, unimaginably. His coach doesn't feature him, unfathomably. People are nitpicking his game for things that aren't in his control, IMO.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    1,687

    Quote Originally Posted by born2reign View Post
    If your argument for why he should keep playing is about 5 more shot attempts per game and playing for the Sixers, then I strongly disagree.

    1. Regardless of if he declares in the next 30 seconds or finishes the season, the Sixers are a possible destination.

    2. Even with 100 more shot attempts, the analysts today said Simmons isn't aggressive enough (and, mind you, his team was winning by double digits at the time). Today was not the first time this has happened. Check his box scores. Watch his games. His team mates freeze him out, unimaginably. His coach doesn't feature him, unfathomably. People are nitpicking his game for things that aren't in his control, IMO.
    Analysts over analyze the ones who could be great.......He is tentative at times.......because he is a very young guy........I will agree the coaching at LSU is bizarre at times..............Irregardless dont quit in the middle at anything..........There isnt an analyst who wouldnt take him #1 and give you the next 2 picks.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    "In God we trust- everyone else, keep your hands where I can see 'em!"
    Posts
    4,702

    Quote Originally Posted by jlow View Post
    Analysts over analyze the ones who could be great.......He is tentative at times.......because he is a very young guy........I will agree the coaching at LSU is bizarre at times..............Irregardless dont quit in the middle at anything..........There isnt an analyst who wouldnt take him #1 and give you the next 2 picks.
    I agree with everything you said here. Even agree with the part about quitting.

    This being said, I am seperating the emotion from the logical reasoning. Ben put in his time and played hard for two thirds of the season. He has nothing left to prove, but more importantly he has nothing left to gain playing out the string. We actually see this all the time in sport. Time to hang it up and declare, if one and done is his intention.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    "In God we trust- everyone else, keep your hands where I can see 'em!"
    Posts
    4,702

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    "In God we trust- everyone else, keep your hands where I can see 'em!"
    Posts
    4,702

    Since I created this thread, Simmons has been suspended by his coach, failed to make the NCAA tourney, been declared ineligible for the Wooden Award and his team will not play in the post season.

    I'm not saying some of this wasn't of his own doing, I'm saying he should have high-tailed it from LSU a month and a half ago.

  10. #40
    InItToWinIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Location
    The gym
    Posts
    1,686

    All Simmons did is make an example for the upcoming top recruits.

    Now they will pour into strong programs like UK, Duke, Kansas, etc.

    No more good players will go to average teams IMO.

  11. #41
    SnottieDrippen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 15
    Location
    Temecula
    Posts
    4,064

    Quote Originally Posted by born2reign View Post
    No, he doesn't get to work like an NBA player everyday. He is restricted based on NCAA regulations as to how much coaching he can receive. Plus, as long as he is used as he has been by LSU then I would argue his game reps aren't really as meaningful as they should be.

    He could actually hire a personal coach- pay any ex-NBA coach to help him work on his game. He could go get a trainer to begin his conditioning and strength work. Sign with an agent. Get your shoe money right now. Heck, sign with a D-league team (if possible, at this point) and finish out the season to get game reps. Those coaches would use him like he will be used in the NBA.

    There is no advantage to staying at LSU based on how he has been used and how they have played to this point in the season, IMO.
    Excellent point.

    Reps are huge for kids with his frame. Im no pro, but he's about to be, and if his jumper is as limited as it's shown to be, he'll be labeled a bust until he figures that out a little bit and Adjusts to his body.

    I hope LSU provided him the same accommodations they gave Shaq, because he clearly wasn't working out on the court with the Tigers.

  12. #42
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    53,930

    The annoying thing is that this will only add to the narrative that One-and-Done is bad for college basketball.

    Kentucky & now Duke, and maybe even Kansas handle One-and-Done pretty darn well in my opinion and should receive praise instead of ridicule.

  13. #43
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,964

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    The annoying thing is that this will only add to the narrative that One-and-Done is bad for college basketball.

    Kentucky & now Duke, and maybe even Kansas handle One-and-Done pretty darn well in my opinion and should receive praise instead of ridicule.
    If you look at it from the athletes standpoint, and not the standpoint that your team greatly benefits from it each year, one year in college is a waste for some of these guys. I'm talking the ones that are legitimately ready right out of high school to go to the league. As much as fans want to believe it's true, most of those guys don't care about winning a college championship, they don't really care about the school. They are just doing what they have to do to make it to the league.

    If we are going to make them go to college, it needs to be for more than a year. Otherwise, it's a waste of time, IMO.

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Location
    Negan's Compound
    Posts
    3,847

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    If you look at it from the athletes standpoint, and not the standpoint that your team greatly benefits from it each year, one year in college is a waste for some of these guys. I'm talking the ones that are legitimately ready right out of high school to go to the league. As much as fans want to believe it's true, most of those guys don't care about winning a college championship, they don't really care about the school. They are just doing what they have to do to make it to the league.

    If we are going to make them go to college, it needs to be for more than a year. Otherwise, it's a waste of time, IMO.
    I'd like to see either the football rule or baseball put into play for basketball. As you stated, these kids don't care about UK, KU, Duke or whoever else they choose to play for. They strictly are there because they have to be.

  15. #45
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,964

    Quote Originally Posted by NKYknowitall View Post
    I'd like to see either the football rule or baseball put into play for basketball. As you stated, these kids don't care about UK, KU, Duke or whoever else they choose to play for. They strictly are there because they have to be.
    Name:  marshawn.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  11.7 KB

Top