Alabama 77 Kentucky 75

Page 2 of Final... 50 comments | 2793 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,440

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    I’ve said it before. Everyone’s national championship game is a weak excuse. My guess is that Alabama would like to beat Auburn just as bad as Kentucky.
    This year yeah your probably right. 4 years ago when Auburn was bad probably not. Point is UK usually always is nationally ranked, so they usually are one of the best teams most teams on their schedule see. So yes for big games, usually always on national TV, with a chance to beat a storied program. Yes usually it means more compared to other teams. Now this year you are right. Auburn is very good, and Bama will want that game just as bad.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,522

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    I’ve said it before. Everyone’s national championship game is a weak excuse. My guess is that Alabama would like to beat Auburn just as bad as Kentucky.
    So you think UK would be just as happy beating South Carolina as Alabama in football?

  3. #18
    00Rocket28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Posts
    23,292

    2 steps forward, 1 step back.

  4. #19
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,839

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    So you think UK would be just as happy beating South Carolina as Alabama in football?
    Or when they finally beat Florida?

  5. #20
    Irish Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    4,268

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    I’ve said it before. Everyone’s national championship game is a weak excuse. My guess is that Alabama would like to beat Auburn just as bad as Kentucky.
    I'd disagree. Until today Alabama hadn't beaten UK since Jan of 2013. They have gone 7-6 vs. Auburn during that same time period. I think this win against UK is a bit bigger for their program.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    24,970

    Quote Originally Posted by 00Rocket28 View Post
    2 steps forward, 1 step back.
    It sucks but it's almost expected with Coach Cal's teams. He's still teaching and IMO rarely ever manages a game closely before late February or March even.

  7. #22
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    53,486

    Quote Originally Posted by 00Rocket28 View Post
    2 steps forward, 1 step back.
    Sounds like progress lol

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    1,672

    If a team turns the ball over due to pressure, what would you guess should happen? Bama had 18 turnovers and if full court pressure had been applied, probably would have been 30 turnovers and a UK win! But that is asking too much out of the bullheaded UK coach.....Bama better prepared team and played to win....Cal will blame once again on youth and just too early in season....sick of hearing excuses....make changes during the game Cal!

  9. #24
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    60,967

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    So you think UK would be just as happy beating South Carolina as Alabama in football?
    Sure, they'd be happier beating the Tide.

    But does UK always play their best game of the year when they play Alabama? Do they raise their level of play several levels as a result of being inspired? Is Alabama UK's "national championship game"?

    I say no; but we can agree to disagree.

  10. #25
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    60,967

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cat View Post
    I'd disagree. Until today Alabama hadn't beaten UK since Jan of 2013. They have gone 7-6 vs. Auburn during that same time period. I think this win against UK is a bit bigger for their program.
    Bigger for their program? I agree. Alabama's national championship game? I don't.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,440

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    Bigger for their program? I agree. Alabama's national championship game? I don't.
    Obviously want to win every game, and no coach or player will openly say one regular season game means more than another. However, when looking at a schedule. Which regular season game would you say most teams would circle in their head as the game they want to win, as the one game they want to be the star and truly ball out in? I would say UK is that for most. Just like it is for teams when they play Duke, UNC. etc.

    Just take a look at their locker room celebration. You dont see many teams celebrating like that after just a normal regular season win for them.

  12. #27
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    60,967

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Obviously want to win every game, and no coach or player will openly say one regular season game means more than another. However, when looking at a schedule. Which regular season game would you say most teams would circle in their head as the game they want to win, as the one game they want to be the star and truly ball out in? I would say UK is that for most. Just like it is for teams when they play Duke, UNC. etc.

    Just take a look at their locker room celebration. You dont see many teams celebrating like that after just a normal regular season win for them.
    And I don’t disagree that it was a big win. I just don’t go along with the hyperbolic “it’s everyone’s championship game” as a rationale for losing to an inferior opponent.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,440

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    And I don’t disagree that it was a big win. I just don’t go along with the hyperbolic “it’s everyone’s championship game” as a rationale for losing to an inferior opponent.
    I think your reading way to much into it. You know how sometimes teams can have let down games. Where they may not be as focused or the effort might not be as hard. Well much like a National Championship, where you know teams are going to be focused and effort will be top notch. That's what it is like for teams when they play UK. You can almost guanrtee UK will almost never play an opponent where they might be un focused or not giving extreme effort. Every game UK plays usually is going to be against a team who is completely locked in and their effort is definitely there. Rarely will they play a team who isnt focused. While UK might see a team like a Bama, who isnt UNC or UL and wont go in as focused.

    I guess people can say you know UK is always going to get its opponents best focus and effort. However, that isnt nearly as appealing to say as saying its every teams National Championship lol.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 16
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    27

    SEC opener on the road coming off that UOfL game, easy to see a letdown game from the Cats. Honestly surprised we made it as close that we did in the last few minutes. We’re young and still learning plus it was most the Cats first SEC trip. We’ll be fine come March, as is the case nearly every year.

  15. #30
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    10,174

    Had one of those games where they went ice cold for a while. I think they scored 5 points during an 8-9 minute stretch in the second half. Not that they were taking bad shots, they just wouldn't go in.

    All in all. Lost on the road to a pretty good team.

Top