AD Tom Jurich out at Louisville

Page 4 of Happening now.... 58 comments | 10917 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    46,831

    Close
    Previous
    Next





    Close
    Previous
    Next


    Advertisement

  2. #47
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,338

    Let's all defend him now!

  3. #48
    jvdfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    By the Lake
    Posts
    8,816

    Not surprised myself.

  4. #49

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,269


  5. #50

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,269


  6. #51
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    I've a seat by the fire, so I shan't move.
    Posts
    22,497

    I'm not certain that there are any good players in this whole thing. University administration looked the other way on the insane levels of athletic department spending because they WANTED to look the other way. If they were so concerned about all the happenings at the department, the least they could have done was eliminate the student athletics fee that's tacked on to everyone's tuition and they could have done it YEARS ago.

    I won't deny Jurich's flaws, but a lot of this feels like hitting the guy that's already down and saying "Look! I knocked him out!"

    Jurich is gone and deserves to be so, but I still have serious reservations about the way Postel and the board are handling a lot of this, and not just as regards athletics.

  7. #52
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,812

    It's going to be interesting to see play out. I think I read where Postel was arguing what a great job Jurich is doing to the NCAA appeals committee. And then turn around and say how awful he was for years in this letter is going to be a tough sell.

  8. #53

    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    8,506

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    I'm not certain that there are any good players in this whole thing. University administration looked the other way on the insane levels of athletic department spending because they WANTED to look the other way. If they were so concerned about all the happenings at the department, the least they could have done was eliminate the student athletics fee that's tacked on to everyone's tuition and they could have done it YEARS ago.

    I won't deny Jurich's flaws, but a lot of this feels like hitting the guy that's already down and saying "Look! I knocked him out!"

    Jurich is gone and deserves to be so, but I still have serious reservations about the way Postel and the board are handling a lot of this, and not just as regards athletics.
    I understand your points, as well as any frustration. The new board as well as Postel have only been in place for a little over a year though. IMO, it's hard to blame them for the athletics fee or the other Athletic Department's crazy spending that was put in place as you mentioned, years ago. I suppose a good start to get rid of the crazy athletics spending was getting rid of the two biggest expenses and liabilities that the program had, Jurich as well as Pitino. It's a start and hopefully once the smoke clears they can get things back on track.

    Truth be told, the new board and interim President walked into a complete storm and it's going to take some time to correct it. There are so many issues that they need to deal with that it would nearly be impossible to tackle them all at once. The athletic departments issues aren't leaving them much time to address the other issues at the moment.

  9. #54

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Location
    Bluegrass Region
    Posts
    10,436

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    I'm not certain that there are any good players in this whole thing. University administration looked the other way on the insane levels of athletic department spending because they WANTED to look the other way. If they were so concerned about all the happenings at the department, the least they could have done was eliminate the student athletics fee that's tacked on to everyone's tuition and they could have done it YEARS ago.

    I won't deny Jurich's flaws, but a lot of this feels like hitting the guy that's already down and saying "Look! I knocked him out!"

    Jurich is gone and deserves to be so, but I still have serious reservations about the way Postel and the board are handling a lot of this, and not just as regards athletics.
    Going back into recent history it feels like the Yum Center situations was where Jurich picked up enemies.

    He ticked off Papa John when he gave into the 'downtown' forces at the outset. Papa, Jurich and others wanted the on campus at the start but where pressured into the downtown location. In December, he said that was still an option in posturing about the finances and the blame UofL was getting for the situation (though UofL athletics was making every committed payment). The governors office announced that there was a deal where UofL athletics would pay another $2.5M a year. But Jurich said there was no formalized deal. That must have upset the folks in Frankfort. So Prostel takes over the negotiations and....UofL agrees the $2.5M per year increase. i believe that cash stream was needed to refinance the bonds - without it the finances implode.

    It just seems like if any one thing earned Jurich enemies - it was the Yum Center drama.

  10. #55

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Location
    Bluegrass Region
    Posts
    10,436

    Response to termination.

    Tom Jurich responds to termination by UofL | WHAS11.com

    Weekly evaluations were completed in order to supervise each and every coach at the University of Louisville. Associate Athletic Directors along with Tom Jurich were responsible for every head coach’s evaluation. TheAssistant Athletic Directors reported to Tom Jurich directly with these evaluations. These evaluations were discussed every Monday morning in a sports administration meeting. Yearly, Tom Jurich reviewed coach evaluations with the University of Louisville Athletic Association Board. Additionally, coaches enjoyed an open door policy with Tom Jurich. Prior administrations knew of this evaluation process and were 100% supportive.

    Based on this response - either its wrong or the termination letter is wrong on the only material element of 'cause' cited.

  11. #56
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,305

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrasscard View Post
    Response to termination.

    Tom Jurich responds to termination by UofL | WHAS11.com

    Weekly evaluations were completed in order to supervise each and every coach at the University of Louisville. Associate Athletic Directors along with Tom Jurich were responsible for every head coach’s evaluation. TheAssistant Athletic Directors reported to Tom Jurich directly with these evaluations. These evaluations were discussed every Monday morning in a sports administration meeting. Yearly, Tom Jurich reviewed coach evaluations with the University of Louisville Athletic Association Board. Additionally, coaches enjoyed an open door policy with Tom Jurich. Prior administrations knew of this evaluation process and were 100% supportive.

    Based on this response - either its wrong or the termination letter is wrong on the only material element of 'cause' cited.
    Does anyone believe there were weekly reviews of every coach? I don't know one single person who has weekly reviews with their boss.

  12. #57
    Irish Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    4,095

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Does anyone believe there were weekly reviews of every coach? I don't know one single person who has weekly reviews with their boss.
    My "boss" has been known to review me on a daily basis. She's always right.

  13. #58
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,338

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Does anyone believe there were weekly reviews of every coach? I don't know one single person who has weekly reviews with their boss.
    Honestly I don't believe anything because it's Louisville and the last 3-5 years have pretty much been a lie.

  14. #59
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    46,831

    Rather that air their dirty laundry in open court, the University of Louisville and Tom Jurich reach a deal. Louisville pays Jurich a little less than half of what was left on his contract ($4.5M) and changes his official status to "Fired without cause."

    Seems like a win/win for both parties.

    Louisville reaches $4.5 million settlement with fired athletic director Tom Jurich

    The University of Louisville has reached a settlement with ex-athletic director Tom Jurich following his firing amid a college basketball recruiting scandal.

    Louisville's board of trustees and athletic association board of directors approved the settlement at a special joint meeting Friday.

    The settlement is for $4.5 million. His personnel file will say he was terminated without cause as a result of his resignation.

    "I have spent the better part of my career working with a dedicated team of athletes, coaches, and staff to elevate the University of Louisville's Athletic Department and I am proud of what we accomplished which is well documented," Jurich said in a statement.

    Jurich was fired with cause in October after the school's men's basketball program became ensnared in a recruiting scandal involving an FBI investigation.

Top