AD Tom Jurich out at Louisville

Page 2 of Happening now.... 58 comments | 10604 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    24,524

    They had to clean house, period.

    Good riddance Jurich. Maybe you can catch on at Addidas where your daughter was walked into a job.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    19,966

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Come on now. Are you really not informed enough to realize all the questions arising from this?

    Jurich was the man in charge of one of the largest college athletic departments in the country for two decades. For the last 15 years, the university has been the biggest real estate developer in Louisville by a country mile. They have hundreds of millions of dollars in their athletic department, and they just booted the man in charge. Where do they go from there?

    The basketball program is still negotiating their way through the prostitution scandal, and now they are smack in the middle of one of the biggest NCAA scandals in history, if not THE biggest. They just canned the basketball coach and have an interim coach, so there's the question of what will happen on their coaching staff.

    What about the YUM Center deal? What happens if the YUM Center hunts for a NBA expansion team as their tenant instead of UofL?

    What about Petrino? Where does the football program turn if Petrino cuts bait?

    Do you really not think the University should make at least SOME kind of statement when all of that is in question?
    Honestly right now Im too busy to care a whole lot at the current moment, however my point still kinda stands. What do you want them to say, we fired the guy, we have all the answer, we have a magic wand.

  3. #18
    oldrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    "the Twim Cities"...Raceland / Worthington, KY. ..i dwell on the other side of the tracks ...in black bottom.
    Posts
    38,153

    With all that has went on / proven over the past few years, I can't understand why anyone would question either one (Jurich or Pitino) being let go. I would say that a few more probably should as well ....knew about it, covered up or helped cover up, etc..

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Location
    Bluegrass Region
    Posts
    10,342

    Quote Originally Posted by oldrambler View Post
    With all that has went on / proven over the past few years, I can't understand why anyone would question either one (Jurich or Pitino) being let go. I would say that a few more probably should as well ....knew about it, covered up or helped cover up, etc..
    "Proven"?

    This has at least the appearance of personalized vendetta hit job with a Bevin-appointed board and in interim President who is way in over his head and some say being manipulated by others.

    So far, the evidence of 'cause' at a pure contractual level for either Pitino or Jurich has not been 'proven' by any means. At least it has not been made public. That is not say that there is nothing there or that there is not and will never be found actual actions that trigger the "for cause" clauses of either contract.

    But the actions of the BoT is more akin to the firing of 'at will' employees instead of contract employees. The process was rushed, its sloppy, its unprofessional in its handling and it will likely cost the University a lot of money at the end.

    The word is that the BoT offered to donate $1.5M to the Pitino foundation in the name of his dead son if he resigned instead of being fired. That's an example of the lack of professionalism exhibited by this Bevin board.

    This was strike while the iron is hot, agenda-driven action. Process, facts and contracts seemed to be viewed as speed bumps.

  5. #20
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    45,673

    I see many online and heard them on the radio blaming all of this on Bevin. Really if the University wasn't a mess from top to bottom he'd had no reason to do anything to begin with. It's like someone blaming the judge or police when thier loved one goes to prison for stealing...instead of blaming the ones that stole.

    Didn't Bevin just say last week he was in favor of keeping Jurich? Sounds like the board acted independent of the man that appointed them, as they should.

    Some here and other places have said that there is no proof Jurich knew anything or covered it up. He may not have. In my former position there were a few things that if my subordinate did any of them...I'd have been fired as well. Even if I had no knowledge, because it was my responsibility to ensure that they follow company policy in those manners. If they broke the policy or rules, I too would have been relieved of my position almost immediately.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Location
    Bluegrass Region
    Posts
    10,342

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    I see many online and heard them on the radio blaming all of this on Bevin. Really if the University wasn't a mess from top to bottom he'd had no reason to do anything to begin with. It's like someone blaming the judge or police when thier loved one goes to prison for stealing...instead of blaming the ones that stole.

    Didn't Bevin just say last week he was in favor of keeping Jurich? Sounds like the board acted independent of the man that appointed them, as they should.

    Some here and other places have said that there is no proof Jurich knew anything or covered it up. He may not have. In my former position there were a few things that if my subordinate did any of them...I'd have been fired as well. Even if I had no knowledge, because it was my responsibility to ensure that they follow company policy in those manners. If they broke the policy or rules, I too would have been relieved of my position almost immediately.
    These are Bevins hand picked people so he somewhat owns them as a whole. His support of Jurich may have been sincere or just trying to keep the Cardinal fans from frying him next election. Jurich had his enemys - John Schnatter (Pappa John) being one of them, and the people who are stuck with the financial arrangement of the Yum Center being others and probably some others.

    To the point of subordinates - my wife indicated that Pitino's contract had an expliciet clause NOT holding him accountable for illegal activity by subordinates he was unaware of. Have not read Pitinos or Jurich's contract to confirm if that is the case.

    Maybe both Pitino and Jurich are guilty as heck and did violate the clauses in there contract. But if you are going to fire a HOF coach and the AD who guided the University into a slot in the big 5 confernces, built state of the art facilities on-campus and did a deal to create a top class basketball arena then the board should have all the facts laid out be clear on why it was done - very explicitly. To fire Jurich with no public comment, except from the 3 board members who voted for retainment is reckless on the surface. And then afterwards when questioned about it, the response was "we have other fish to fry".

    As a whole, the University was a mess as you noted. Its still is a mess. But yesterday's rash actions make it messier, not cleaner. The inside council for UofL has now even longer days in front of it.

  7. #22
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    52,975

    Ugh. Give me a break

  8. #23
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    45,673

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrasscard View Post
    These are Bevins hand picked people so he somewhat owns them as a whole. His support of Jurich may have been sincere or just trying to keep the Cardinal fans from frying him next election. Jurich had his enemys - John Schnatter (Pappa John) being one of them, and the people who are stuck with the financial arrangement of the Yum Center being others and probably some others.

    To the point of subordinates - my wife indicated that Pitino's contract had an expliciet clause NOT holding him accountable for illegal activity by subordinates he was unaware of. Have not read Pitinos or Jurich's contract to confirm if that is the case.

    Maybe both Pitino and Jurich are guilty as heck and did violate the clauses in there contract. But if you are going to fire a HOF coach and the AD who guided the University into a slot in the big 5 confernces, built state of the art facilities on-campus and did a deal to create a top class basketball arena then the board should have all the facts laid out be clear on why it was done - very explicitly. To fire Jurich with no public comment, except from the 3 board members who voted for retainment is reckless on the surface. And then afterwards when questioned about it, the response was "we have other fish to fry".

    As a whole, the University was a mess as you noted. Its still is a mess. But yesterday's rash actions make it messier, not cleaner. The inside council for UofL has now even longer days in front of it.
    What public comment do you want to hear? If you love Jurich and think the school is worse off without him, nothing they say would have changed your mind.

    Jurich was "The Boss" as back to back scandals have the basketball program on the verge of a possible death penalty...at some point the "Buck stops here" and that's with the man in charge. Jurich/Ramsey were milking that place dry, in the long run UofL will be better without them.

    UofL athletics are in GREAT shape (not counting basketball) with great coaches and incredible facilities. They are in a great conference with a huge chunk of TV revenue guaranteed for years. Losing Jurich isn't going to drop them back one step. As good a shape as UofL is in pretty much anyone could come in and successfully run the Athletics Department without missing a beat.

    If not now, how many scandals and how much of a public mockery does the University have to become before it would be ok to fire the man leading it all?

  9. #24
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,084

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    Ugh. Give me a break
    Unbelievable isn't it.

  10. #25
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    52,975

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Unbelievable isn't it.
    It really is. I don't understand at all. If this was at my school, I would be begging for a clean house

  11. #26
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    62,738

    He was robbing the university of big $$ basically. All the while claiming how "profitable" the athletic department was.

    Not sure how anyone can defend him at this point.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,034

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    It really is. I don't understand at all. If this was at my school, I would be begging for a clean house
    I lived through the UK scandal in '89. I was ashamed of what was done and was happy when Sutton and Hagan were gone. What they did was reprehensible.

    But today I am watching some UL fans act as if Pitino and Jurich did not have a just cause for being terminated. At the same time I watch UNC fans who think because they escaped the NCAA hammer they were justified in the scam their school perpetrated for 18 years, all the while claiming the "Carolina Way" sanctimonious air.

  13. #28
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    20,777

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    I see many online and heard them on the radio blaming all of this on Bevin. Really if the University wasn't a mess from top to bottom he'd had no reason to do anything to begin with. It's like someone blaming the judge or police when thier loved one goes to prison for stealing...instead of blaming the ones that stole.

    Didn't Bevin just say last week he was in favor of keeping Jurich? Sounds like the board acted independent of the man that appointed them, as they should.

    Some here and other places have said that there is no proof Jurich knew anything or covered it up. He may not have. In my former position there were a few things that if my subordinate did any of them...I'd have been fired as well. Even if I had no knowledge, because it was my responsibility to ensure that they follow company policy in those manners. If they broke the policy or rules, I too would have been relieved of my position almost immediately.
    ^ I agree with Jumper. I donít think think the Board needs anything for reason for firing other than to say their ďcauseĒ is based on the mess that Louisville is in and all the accumulated scandals that have occurred while Jerich was the boss. Whether he was in the know while all the scandals were happening is irrelevant. Sometimes the only cause a Board needs for termination is that they donít like the culture that has developed in certain athletic departments or the ways and means being used to be successful.
    Jurich is at the top and that individual is usually who goes not only in the sports world but also other businesses whenever itís seen that things are out of control under the bossís watch.

  14. #29
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    I've a seat by the fire, so I shan't move.
    Posts
    22,318

    Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    ^ I agree with Jumper. I don’t think think the Board needs anything for reason for firing other than to say their “cause” is based on the mess that Louisville is in and all the accumulated scandals that have occurred while Jerich was the boss. Whether he was in the know while all the scandals were happening is irrelevant. Sometimes the only cause a Board needs for termination is that they don’t like the culture that has developed in certain athletic departments or the ways and means being used to be successful.
    Jurich is at the top and that individual is usually who goes not only in the sports world but also other businesses whenever it’s seen that things are out of control under the boss’s watch.
    It's not whether we think the cause is just. It's whether the cause for which he was terminated fits the definitions of cause for which the university and Jurich already contracted. That term is defined and that definition must be met or Jurich may be entitled to some compensation.

  15. #30
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,084

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    It's not whether we think the cause is just. It's whether the cause for which he was terminated fits the definitions of cause for which the university and Jurich already contracted. That term is defined and that definition must be met or Jurich may be entitled to some compensation.
    On a side note, Ramsey should go to jail for no other reason then giving Jurich what could be the most one sided contract in the history of contracts.

Top