$700K instead of college classes?

Page 2 of I think it is great that an 18 year old kid who is very talented in ANYTHING has an opportunity to be paid very well in his/her chosen profession right... 43 comments | 1895 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,474

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    Athletes won't get a break anymore? Is this for football as well?
    Yes...
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Posts
    9,949

    If this league can do what the claim - how much of an affect will this hurt College BBall.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,223

    I don't see how this can work as a business. We follow high school kids now because we want to know where they are going to college - especially if they are coming to "our" college. With that removed I just do not see fans forking over money to watch them before they go to the NBA.

    Maybe European fans will but not US.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    On the diamond
    Posts
    5,154

    I have a feeling this guy will essentially pay this as an investment into an athletes career. I bet he'd get a cut from every paycheck his players make in the NBA. That's the only way this will be viable

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Apr 15
    Location
    Candyland
    Posts
    815

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    I don't think there would be many One and Done type guys that will turn down an offer like this... Why would you?
    Nope. Sure wouldn't and if my kid was a Mickey D All American and expected to go pro after one year he would play for this team.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Apr 15
    Location
    Candyland
    Posts
    815

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    No proven product what if it fails?
    They still get paid more than they would in college.......

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Apr 15
    Location
    Candyland
    Posts
    815

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I don't see how this can work as a business. We follow high school kids now because we want to know where they are going to college - especially if they are coming to "our" college. With that removed I just do not see fans forking over money to watch them before they go to the NBA.

    Maybe European fans will but not US.
    NBA TV will televise the games and if the names playing are big enough people will watch it.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,018

    If I'm a player, I worry about the strings attached later. Vegas has a stench.

  9. #24
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,269

    Quote Originally Posted by Djason Unchained View Post
    NBA TV will televise the games and if the names playing are big enough people will watch it.
    Good luck getting these guy to play together . People want to complain about college games. These games will be unwatchable.

  10. #25
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,474

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Good luck getting these guy to play together . People want to complain about college games. These games will be unwatchable.
    Really depends on how it is set up long term. Do the folks at Findlay Prep say screw it and become the feeder system for this franchise? That would be a game changer with one local move alone.

    These guys are more willing to play together than ever with the large number of camps, all star games and involvement with USA Basketball.

    It isn't the major stretch some thing. If it can be sold to the large hoops community in Vegas, it could work. We'll see...

  11. #26
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    52,848

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    Remember the academic standards get absurdly tough starting with the 2016 class. Something like 43% of the D1 freshmen from the 2014 class would have been ineligible under the new rules. There will be enough high end guys looking for something and this would be a great fit...
    What are the new standards? I must have missed those somewhere.

  12. #27
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    "Weakness is strong, we must be stronger."
    Posts
    22,668

    Quote Originally Posted by Djason Unchained View Post
    They still get paid more than they would in college.......
    They have one year to showcase their skills to hit the lotto...

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    15,357

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    No proven product what if it fails?
    These are all 1 year contracts? If it fails, then they would attempt to enter the NBA at the next draft. I don't see a financial downside BESIDES not giving scouts enough tape and possibly affecting their draft status. Of course, that is a double sided sword. How many guys look like lottery picks entering college and then are surpassed by their own teammates?

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    15,357

    Quote Originally Posted by LOOGY View Post
    I have a feeling this guy will essentially pay this as an investment into an athletes career. I bet he'd get a cut from every paycheck his players make in the NBA. That's the only way this will be viable
    Yep, a way to build a client base.

  15. #30
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    52,848

    I'd have to think shoe companies wouldn't be thrilled by this, right? They want those kids on ESPN as often as possible and that is done by having them at Kansas, UK, UNC, Duke, and etc.

Top