War protesters ?

Page 2 of Originally posted by ram95 I didn't call you names Sideliner. At least I didn't mean to, I was refering to the placard holders and the people who march... 122 comments | 8291 Views | Go to page 1 →

View Poll Results: Should the protesters, or are they

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Should they keep quiet and back the USA ?

    10 17.86%
  • Are they traitors to the USA ?

    9 16.07%
  • They do not understand what is going on

    25 44.64%
  • They have a legitimate reason

    12 21.43%
  1. #16
    luvthegame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    Way out there
    Posts
    2,470

    let the protestors do their thing. All that's important is we do it right and not let a bunch of our troops killed.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,592

    Originally posted by SportsGuy41017
    LOL, heard a funny joke:

    How many Frenchman would it take to defend Paris?


    That question is unknown, it's Never been tried before. LOL
    Good one.

    These people are WACK JOBS!!! I just don't think that they see the big picture. Yesterday, while driving past the protesters down on the French Quarter, I began to think about how these people would feel if at that moment unknown to them was walking in their midst an Small Pox infected member of Alquada (sp?). Once they found out that they were infected, how then would they feel. If it were then made known that Iraq gave these people the ability to "pull it off" what would be their response? Maybe there would be a few TRUE pacifists, but I bet that crowd, for the most part, would change their minds. THAT is what makes me sick.

    It is like american citizens that burn flags. Yes, they have the right to do it, but for goodness sake, the very thing that the flag symolizes IS their freedom TO burn it. It is much like an ungrateful child. It just makes me ill.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Posts
    281

    They should thank the dead heros of this country who gave them the right to whine about the things they don't like.

  4. #19
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,718

    Originally posted by HHS_Football
    They should thank the dead heros of this country who gave them the right to whine about the things they don't like.
    If that's your thinking behind it, then you've completely missed the point. Just because we have dead heroes, does that mean that we need to make more? Death is highly overrated in my book. Now before you go off and formulate any opinions as to my beliefs, I will say that I do support the movements being made to depose Saddam Hussein because I do believe that he is a danger to his people and also to the rest of the world. However, many have made good points that U.S. foreign policy is at the root of a lot the problems in that region of the world and some other regions of the world as well. For now, forced removal really is the only solution, but now that the Cold War is over, U.S. policy makers need to understand that the world can no longer be viewed in black and white. I simultaneously back the government's decision but listen carefully to those who speak out against it. For the most part, I trust the leaders of this nation, but follow them blindly? Never.

  5. #20
    FlagetRocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Et unam, sanctam, catholicam, et, apostolicam Ecclesiam
    Posts
    3,977

    Getslow, as a shamrock I respect what you have to say, but before I pounce what problems are we the root of over there?

  6. #21
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,718

    Originally posted by FlagetRocks
    Getslow, as a shamrock I respect what you have to say, but before I pounce what problems are we the root of over there?
    Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990 using weapons that the U.S. gave him in the early 80's for the purpose of invading Iran. Of course, a year after giving those weapons to Iraq, the U.S. gave weapons to Iran in hopes that they would attack Iraq. The Iranians had the revolution in 1979 that caused all this because of the cruel dictator, the Shah that the U.S. installed after sparking a revolution in 1953 in which they overthrew the democratically-elected president.

    Oh, and I especially don't want to forget the top-notch CIA training and aid the U.S. gave to Osama bin Laden in the 80's in order to kill Soviets. That training came in handy later when he used it to orchestrate the murder of 3,000 Americans.

  7. #22
    98NCCalum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    It's been fun BGP! Be good....
    Posts
    19,155

    Originally posted by Getslow
    Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990 using weapons that the U.S. gave him in the early 80's for the purpose of invading Iran. Of course, a year after giving those weapons to Iraq, the U.S. gave weapons to Iran in hopes that they would attack Iraq. The Iranians had the revolution in 1979 that caused all this because of the cruel dictator, the Shah that the U.S. installed after sparking a revolution in 1953 in which they overthrew the democratically-elected president.

    Oh, and I especially don't want to forget the top-notch CIA training and aid the U.S. gave to Osama bin Laden in the 80's in order to kill Soviets. That training came in handy later when he used it to orchestrate the murder of 3,000 Americans.
    I just wanna make sure I got this right before I go off, you are saying that the United States is at fault for Al-Queada attacking the United Statea dn killing thousands upon thousands of innocent people? Is that what you're saying? Just making sure before I respond.

  8. #23
    FlagetRocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Et unam, sanctam, catholicam, et, apostolicam Ecclesiam
    Posts
    3,977

    the CIA training (as well as many of the weapons) was used to fight off our biggest enemy at the time, RUSSIA. Who can blame us for trying to stop the increase of their empire?

    None of that "knowledge" was used by Bin Laden on Sept 11.


    But the "ROOT" of the problem has very little to do with the US and goes back to before there ever was a US. Dont you think that it is rather odd that the people in that area have been fighting since records have been kept? Im sure that was Americas fault. The fact that America is the largest humanitarian aid to that area im sure is a reason why they use terror to maintain control, blow up grocery stores full of innocent people, take over planes and fly them into buildings and so on.
    The fact of the matter is, those people over there have NEVER known peace and dont know how to live next to someone who either A does not believe in the same God as your or B does not worship the same dictator as you.

    How many times in the history of the world have two democracies fought each other?


    The United States is a whipping stick and a lighting rod of hatred because we are an easy target. Are we perfect with our worldwide policy? no. But are we the reason why that area is in constant battle, NO! Its easy to blame us because we are the only superpower and are the world leader in so many things.

    And dont get me started with the whole Jewish Homeland issue. that is only a spoke in a larger wheel and who was around first, Abraham or Mohammed?
    Last edited by FlagetRocks; Feb 16, 03 at 05:33 PM.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Posts
    281

    Originally posted by Getslow
    If that's your thinking behind it, then you've completely missed the point. Just because we have dead heroes, does that mean that we need to make more? Death is highly overrated in my book. Now before you go off and formulate any opinions as to my beliefs, I will say that I do support the movements being made to depose Saddam Hussein because I do believe that he is a danger to his people and also to the rest of the world. However, many have made good points that U.S. foreign policy is at the root of a lot the problems in that region of the world and some other regions of the world as well. For now, forced removal really is the only solution, but now that the Cold War is over, U.S. policy makers need to understand that the world can no longer be viewed in black and white. I simultaneously back the government's decision but listen carefully to those who speak out against it. For the most part, I trust the leaders of this nation, but follow them blindly? Never.
    No i dont think i have missed the point there big guy. War is a terrible thing don't get me wrong but sometimes it has to be used. We have to do something NOW against sadam. Why is everyone siding with the French on this anyway? They are doing the same thing they did back in 1939 with Hitler, saying "lets give peace a chance" well you see how much good that did back then, why does it have to happen again? And my lord if all of these people are going to side with a nation on this why side with the French? They are the 1st ones to get whipped in every conflict. And the Germans? Yea we appreciate your big THANK YOU for building you back up after WW2. And quite frankly I hope this leads to the end of the UN because all i see it as is a WORLD GOVT. And those of you who read your Bible know what that means.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Posts
    281

    Originally posted by Chaplain
    Good one.

    These people are WACK JOBS!!! I just don't think that they see the big picture. Yesterday, while driving past the protesters down on the French Quarter, I began to think about how these people would feel if at that moment unknown to them was walking in their midst an Small Pox infected member of Alquada (sp?). Once they found out that they were infected, how then would they feel. If it were then made known that Iraq gave these people the ability to "pull it off" what would be their response? Maybe there would be a few TRUE pacifists, but I bet that crowd, for the most part, would change their minds. THAT is what makes me sick.

    It is like american citizens that burn flags. Yes, they have the right to do it, but for goodness sake, the very thing that the flag symolizes IS their freedom TO burn it. It is much like an ungrateful child. It just makes me ill.

    I agree 100%. But you better hope i never drive by a bunch of antiamerican protesters because as they would say "it is my right" to give them a peice of my mind. UNGRATEFULL!

  11. #26
    rockmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    54,695

    I am not unpatrioutic, but in WWII, the US chose not to get involved in the beginning. Only after Japan bombed Pearl Harbor did we see the need to join the war. Before that, France, Poland, Cheklosovikia (sp?), England, etc had been at war or occupied for a good amount of time. I'm sorry, I'm not saying I that I don't resent that countries like France are protesting the war, but I do think that there may be some resentment lingering from the fact that had we joined in the effort earlier in WWII, maybe some of these countries would have felt a little more inclined to support us now, and maybe just a few million lives would have been saved from the Nazi death camps.

    As for the protests, I in no way consider them unpatriotic. It is one of our democratic rights, and I support the preservation of those rights, especially within our own country. We also cannot be so sanctimonious and high-handed as to assume that just because we say jump, the rest of the world has to say "how high?" We need to respect the fact that the people protetsing are in democratic societies as well, and that they are merely practising the same rights that we are so proud to have instituted when forming the United States of America.

  12. #27
    98NCCalum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    It's been fun BGP! Be good....
    Posts
    19,155

    The way I feel about the protestors is this. America, the greatest country, the greatest government, the greatest people in the world, allows us, American citizens, to have many inalienable rights that are not afforded to very many countries througout the world. And one of them is to get your butt out there and protest if you do not agree with something. You ca ndo that, I can do that, anyone here can do that. I'll get back to this in a second.

    One thing that I do find hilarious and appaling is I was watching a report about one of these 'protestors' saying HE had not been shown suffcient evidence to support a war, I laughed out loud. This was just some random schmuck on the streets, does our government who provides so much for everyone here, food, water, communications, and most importnantly FREEDOM to make such a bullish statement, have to come to that one individual person and show him exactly what we know so that he can keep his mouth shut and support us? No. Our government needs to have secrets, there has to be things we all don't know, that's just the way it has to be, for obvious reasons. Do you really think that Bush would risk the lives of thousands of Americans and the livliehood of all of us for selfish motives, if you do you're as dillusional as it gets. No he would not. I am not blindly folliwing our government, but what they have shown us should be plenty for Americans to follow and support our government. What do you people want? Do you want to wait until they get us again? Do you want to wait until they give un undeniable proof they're evil? Wait until they attack us AGAIN? Wait until they blow up our buildings and kill our people, because we allowed them to build up a force of weapons and were too blind to stop them and too scared to do anything about it now while we still can? That's ridiculous. It has been proven time and time again that Saddam has harbored terrorists and have even given medical attention to Al-Quaeda members after attacks we made on them in Afghanistan. They are hiding things and we know it, that is why we need to go stop them now.

    Now back to my rant about our rights. the constitution allows us certain rights and completel FREEDOM, and here's my point on that. Along with all our rights to speak out and be heard you also have the right to, if you do not agree with what our government is doing and you feel so strongly against it that you feel the need to go out and demonstrate on the streets, you also have the right to get the heck out of our Country. If you disagree with the government that provides for you and has given us all this freedom, I'm sure Canada or Mexico or Germany or whoever else wants you will be glad to have you. It's just like anything else, you don;t like your job, leave, you don't like your girlfriend, leave, you don't like it here, don't shove your ideal down our throats, go somewhere where the government of your country will give you pretty much whatever you want and also a governemtnt that you agree with, GOOD RIDDANCE. You don't have to stay here!!!


  13. #28
    Poster Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 03
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    368

    Don't go to Canada! After all, What'd they do to deserve that! I hear Siberia is nice this time of year!

  14. #29
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,718

    Originally posted by 98NCCalum
    The way I feel about the protestors is this. America, the greatest country, the greatest government, the greatest people in the world, allows us, American citizens, to have many inalienable rights that are not afforded to very many countries througout the world. And one of them is to get your butt out there and protest if you do not agree with something. You ca ndo that, I can do that, anyone here can do that. I'll get back to this in a second...

    ...Now back to my rant about our rights. the constitution allows us certain rights and completel FREEDOM, and here's my point on that. Along with all our rights to speak out and be heard you also have the right to, if you do not agree with what our government is doing and you feel so strongly against it that you feel the need to go out and demonstrate on the streets, you also have the right to get the heck out of our Country. If you disagree with the government that provides for you and has given us all this freedom, I'm sure Canada or Mexico or Germany or whoever else wants you will be glad to have you. It's just like anything else, you don;t like your job, leave, you don't like your girlfriend, leave, you don't like it here, don't shove your ideal down our throats, go somewhere where the government of your country will give you pretty much whatever you want and also a governemtnt that you agree with, GOOD RIDDANCE. You don't have to stay here!!!
    On the contrary, what's great about this country is not that you can leave if you don't like something, it's that if there's something not right, you can change it. Let's go back and repeal all the acts of congress that we achieved because somebody protested to get them. Women's right to vote...gone. Emancipation of slaves...gone. Come to think of it, the entire Bill of Rights...gone. We are a nation founded in protest. It all seems somewhat hypocritical, people celebrate the REVOLUTION that brought this country about, yet when a protest comes around, people are angry because the protesters don't fall in line with the status quo. Let's just give this entire country back to Great Britain...because you know, we don't want to stir up any more trouble. If there is something you don't like, it is not only your option, but your DUTY to speak out against it.

    To answer your previous question...of course I don't believe the United States was at fault in the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. There is no such thing as a "reason" in such horrific actions. Those men were so blinded by hatred that they had no ability to reason. I believe that regardless of what the U.S. did or did not do, THAT is NEVER justified. All I am saying is that to prevent such terrible things from happening, thievery of the rights of citizens isn't the answer. The answer lies in how we go about dealing with our international problems. I said already in my last post that I believe Saddam has to be swiftly dealt with and deposed by any means. I can only suggest for the future.

    FlagetRocks, you are right, much of that part of the world has been fighting for centuries. Why then, do we continue to get involved? Do we somehow think that our involvement will cure generations-old ills? I also never mentioned the conflict between Palestine and Israel, that one often seems to be as old as time itself.

    I don't necessarily mean to say that the U.S. is at any fault. My only point is that we need to take steps to prevent people from getting the wrong impression of our nation.
    Last edited by Getslow; Feb 16, 03 at 08:53 PM.

  15. #30
    ram95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Louisville KY
    Posts
    11,659

    One question, where does it say that other countries need to like us? I don't really care if they like us or not. I don't mean to knock anyone else on here's opinion but I think that Saddam Hussein poses a threat to us simply by staying in power, because if a third world bully like him can spit in the face of the US and the UN than all the other two bit dictators and Bin Ladens will continue to see us as a viable target. There is a time for peace and a time for war. We have been trying for twelve years for peace with no avail. Now we have lost 2000 people in the twin towers, how many more have to die before it is ok to remove the dictators and Terrorist. Neville Chamberlain wanted peace, and the French and Germans were lauding his wisdom, look where that got us. I was all for the 1441 resolution and looking for a peaceful way out of this. But time is up.

Top