Last warning...

  1. #1
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    134,632

    Last warning...

    A couple of months ago I posted a link to our sister site, www.jjhuddle.com. The link was a thread telling everyone that all religious and political topics were banned from the forum. I don't want to have to do that here but we are about to if some of you do not straighten up and fly right. The choice is yours. Also, if anyone gets smart in this thread you will be on the outside looking in.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    EastKYReporter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Thankful For Calvary...
    Posts
    7,913

    Guru,

    I will do my part. In the past I fell prone to both of those topics...and I look now at how silly it was.

    There isn't a better sports website on the net...the general discussion forum is just like an added bonus and I enjoy it. I hope it doesn't come to the measures you spoke of, and I'll do my part to prevent it. I hope everyone else does.


  3. #3
    Watusi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    I'm on top of the world.
    Posts
    37,434

    Thank you Guru.

    The political "commentary" has spread over the general discussion forum like a virus lately and every thread has been infected with it. I for one have come to the point where I am so sick of the childish bickering and antics that I hate checking the general discussion forum. Even threads that have nothing to do with politics are being overrun with obnoxious nuggets of political "wisdom" and wise cracks.

    It is rapidly choking off the General Discussion Forum I have come to know and love. And it used to be such a fun place to hang out.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 03
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA
    Posts
    23,817

    Sorry, I'm guilty for contributing to the pols. Guess I missed that in the rules:sleep:

  5. #5
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    134,632

    Originally posted by HHSDad
    Sorry, I'm guilty for contributing to the pols. Guess I missed that in the rules:sleep:
    Please make sure you review the rules or we will be missing you.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Time and Relaive Dimensions in Space
    Posts
    16,683

    Originally posted by Watusi
    Thank you Guru.

    The political "commentary" has spread over the general discussion forum like a virus lately and every thread has been infected with it. I for one have come to the point where I am so sick of the childish bickering and antics that I hate checking the general discussion forum. Even threads that have nothing to do with politics are being overrun with obnoxious nuggets of political "wisdom" and wise cracks.

    It is rapidly choking off the General Discussion Forum I have come to know and love. And it used to be such a fun place to hang out.
    Ain't that the truth!! Those threads have completely soured this forum for me, I rarely venture in here anymore for that simple reason. It kind of makes me wonder if Guru's April Fools Joke this year would have been a good idea consdering what has transpired here.

  7. #7
    Watusi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    I'm on top of the world.
    Posts
    37,434

    I feel like I need to clarify my remarks. I don't oppose a civil discussion. Debate is good and can be informative for both sides. I have learned from some of the debates although I rarely participate.

    However, a select few of us are incapable of carrying on an civil debate in an adult manner. The result has been a lot of nitpicking and eye gouging carried on with a juvenile, win-at-all-costs attitude. My gripe is only with that select few that conduct themselves in this manner and refuse to allow the opposite side to have a say without getting in another dig. Another favorite tactic has been to turn every thread in this direction with a snide political jab.

    The sad part is, the guilty parties have such a high opinion of their own opinions that they will probably not recognize themselves as being the problem. While a lot of good posters with a conscience will probably read what I have said and think I am talking about them.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 03
    Location
    INFINITY
    Posts
    5,965

    I enjoy the political and religious discussions. It is the most enjoyable part of this forum. I haven't been offended by anything anyone has said in regards to politics. Whether it be pot shots at Bill or Billary or shots aimed at me personally, I enjoy it all. It's all good fun and NO ONE should take offense at what anyone says in a discussion about politics. Serious, civil discussion is fine but so is fun, somewhat irreverant talk about our political leaders. Why should I get upset about someone calling Bill a womanizer or a pothead? I enjoy everyone's comments, even those that run counter to mine. I don't take attacks on my favorite politicians personally. I wish some would not take a verbal dig at your favorites so personally.

    I hope that the political and religious threads continue to flow freely. I know that many would hate to see them go. Having said that, if it means having to repress honest feelings or even some tongue-in-cheek irreverance about our leaders , then I say ban all discussion on these topics. If every comment about political leaders had to be nice and respectful, then I would say good riddance to political threads.

  9. #9
    EastKYReporter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Thankful For Calvary...
    Posts
    7,913

    Originally posted by the mathemagician
    I enjoy the political and religious discussions. It is the most enjoyable part of this forum. I haven't been offended by anything anyone has said in regards to politics. Whether it be pot shots at Bill or Billary or shots aimed at me personally, I enjoy it all. It's all good fun and NO ONE should take offense at what anyone says in a discussion about politics. Serious, civil discussion is fine but so is fun, somewhat irreverant talk about our political leaders. Why should I get upset about someone calling Bill a womanizer or a pothead? I enjoy everyone's comments, even those that run counter to mine. I don't take attacks on my favorite politicians personally. I wish some would not take a verbal dig at your favorites so personally.

    I hope that the political and religious threads continue to flow freely. I know that many would hate to see them go. Having said that, if it means having to repress honest feelings or even some tongue-in-cheek irreverance about our leaders , then I say ban all discussion on these topics. If every comment about political leaders had to be nice and respectful, then I would say good riddance to political threads.
    Guru and the moderators do to good of a job policing this site for some of the garbage that has been put on here...most of it by you. There has to be a limit.

    And as for wishing that these topics go on and be banned, that shows your motivation. Why punish everyone? Some of us...most of us...will heed the warning of Guru and tone it down. Perhaps you should just stay out of those topics if you feel this way, and then everyone will be happy!

  10. #10
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    29,037

    Hope I didn't get out of hand or offend anyone with any of my comments. I know that I did start some threads that got out of hand, but my intention was not to insult anyone or start trouble, it was merely for debate. Either way, I will be sure to tone it down.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 03
    Location
    INFINITY
    Posts
    5,965

    Originally posted by EastKYReporter
    Guru and the moderators do to good of a job policing this site for some of the garbage that has been put on here...most of it by you. There has to be a limit.

    And as for wishing that these topics go on and be banned, that shows your motivation. Why punish everyone? Some of us...most of us...will heed the warning of Guru and tone it down. Perhaps you should just stay out of those topics if you feel this way, and then everyone will be happy!

    EKR, your inability to comprehend things that folks say continue to amaze. Note that I said I enjoy the political and religious discussions and that I hope those threads continue. If , however, we can't be critical, and sometimes even irreverant about our leaders, then I say what's the point in talking about political matters.

  12. #12
    EastKYReporter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Thankful For Calvary...
    Posts
    7,913

    Originally posted by the mathemagician
    EKR, your inability to comprehend things that folks say continue to amaze. Note that I said I enjoy the political and religious discussions and that I hope those threads continue. If , however, we can't be critical, and sometimes even irreverant about our leaders, then I say what's the point in talking about political matters.
    You made the comment that you wanted to see them "continue to flow freely."

    That means you want to be able to post obscenities like you have been (GERBA L comments).

    Your true colors are coming out, and everyone is noticing it.

  13. #13
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    134,632

    I am going to cut to the chase, you two (math and EKY) are the problem. I will make this real simple for both of you, either take Watusi's warning above to heart, or ship out. If the two of you keep this up I am going to ban both of you from the site and the rest of us will continue on with no further restrictions. Also, if either of you feels the need to take another shot at the other in this thread (or any others for that matter), just check your keyboard at the door. The best advice I have for you two is to ignore each other or take your debates to PM's until you two can be civil to each other.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 03
    Location
    INFINITY
    Posts
    5,965

    Reporter,

    I'm not going to argue with you in this thread. I'm just saying that I hope the spirited political and religious debates continue. I hope we will continue to be able to express our criticism and to question our government leaders on this board. Most of the folks I have talked to enjoy most of the back and forth political stuff on here. I hope it continues, but if guru decides it best to ban all political talk, then I'll respect and fully support his decision.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 03
    Location
    INFINITY
    Posts
    5,965

    Originally posted by theguru
    I am going to cut to the chase, you two (math and EKY) are the problem. I will make this real simple for both of you, either take Watusi's warning above to heart, or ship out. If the two of you keep this up I am going to ban both of you from the site and the rest of us will continue on with no further restrictions. Also, if either of you feels the need to take another shot at the other in this thread (or any others for that matter), just check your keyboard at the door. The best advice I have for you two is to ignore each other or take your debates to PM's until you two can be civil to each other.

    Agreed.

Top