Page 3 of Clyde had this to say in another thread: Hank Jr is devoid of any talent. Zero chance he sings well or writes well. Perfect example of living off of his dad. If his name was Hank Johnson he'd be driving a truck for a living. Add in that he's a mental midget.... 129 comments | 2340 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #41
    Premium Member BIG BLACK JACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Location
    Lexington.
    Posts
    1,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    So you're saying Hank sings about an array of topics?
    Loving the South, drinking, partying with his friends, surviving in the country, even made a song for MNF. Yeah I think he's basically hits everything I enjoy.

  2. #42
    Premium Member Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    62,647
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG BLACK JACK View Post
    Loving the South, drinking, partying with his friends, surviving in the country, even made a song for MNF. Yeah I think he's basically hits everything I enjoy.
    Right. Not exactly an array of topics - just like Taylor Swift.

  3. #43
    Premium Member halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    45,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post

    Anyone can write songs. That doesn't mean they have talent. ICP has been around for a while and are relevant to their fans like Hank Jr is to his.

    You didn't answer my question. Do you think he's a good singer?
    So we take out the fact that he's very good on several different instruments, the fact that he writes songs and plays music that a certain group of people LOVE, because those things don't support your argument that he's not talented?
    UKMustangFan likes this.

  4. #44
    Premium Member halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    45,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post

    How? He writes his own stuff. Rapping is much harder than singing like Hank does. He has a huge following around the world.
    Can Drake play a guitar, fiddle, etc?

  5. #45
    Premium Member Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    62,647
    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    So we take out the fact that he's very good on several different instruments, the fact that he writes songs and plays music that a certain group of people LOVE, because those things don't support your argument that he's not talented?
    No. I said he can play instruments - like 1,000+ other people in Nashville. Was never my part of my contention.

    We can all write songs. That doesn't mean we have a talent for it.

    Add in that he can't sing and my point is made.

  6. #46
    Premium Member Irish Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    2,154
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Clyde couldn't be further wrong on the talent comments. The mental midget comment is up for debate.
    Unlike many popular artist today, at least Hank can play a little, mostly see him playing guitar and piano but he can also play the bass guitar, upright bass, steel guitar, banjo, dobro, harmonica, fiddle, and drums.

    Politically he is out there, perhaps he just out there in general, but I'd imagine that a 500' fall onto solid rock plus decades of pills and 90 proof might have something to do with that.

  7. #47
    Premium Member UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    On the Path to #4...
    Posts
    42,370
    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    So we take out the fact that he's very good on several different instruments, the fact that he writes songs and plays music that a certain group of people LOVE, because those things don't support your argument that he's not talented?
    If there's one thing I've learned from BGP, it's that Clyde will never admit he's wrong regardless of how many facts say so.
    sweet16 likes this.

  8. #48
    Premium Member Irish Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    2,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Watusi View Post
    Hank Jr is perhaps the most talented musician in country music, ever. The guy can play any instrument and play it well. I have seen him play every single intrument on stage during the course of a concert and never skip a beat, and usually while being about half drunk.
    He probably wakes up half drunk. I've never got the opportunity to see him live, but I've seen some videos where it looks like he is performing full drunk.

  9. #49
    Premium Member BIG BLACK JACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Location
    Lexington.
    Posts
    1,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Right. Not exactly an array of topics - just like Taylor Swift.
    Cash sung about drugs, being in prison, and women; later on in life he sung about God and death. Jackson sings about cars, boats, and love. I'm not sure how wide of an array you are looking for?

  10. #50
    Premium Member ADopted ADmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Danville Ky
    Posts
    10,913
    That Boy's got talent...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eddie-murphy-raw-eddies-uncle-6.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	38918  
    BBsports likes this.

  11. #51
    Premium Member Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    62,647
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG BLACK JACK View Post
    Cash sung about drugs, being in prison, and women; later on in life he sung about God and death. Jackson sings about cars, boats, and love. I'm not sure how wide of an array you are looking for?
    I'm not looking for one. You (or someone) said that all TSwift writes about it being young and in love and out of love. Same thing.

  12. #52
    Premium Member UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    On the Path to #4...
    Posts
    42,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    No. I said he can play instruments - like 1,000+ other people in Nashville. Was never my part of my contention.

    We can all write songs. That doesn't mean we have a talent for it.

    Add in that he can't sing and my point is made.
    You're point is wrong. He writes songs that are 1,000 times better than anything you or I, or anyone else on this board could ever compose.

    He has talent.

    You say 1,000+ others can play instruments as well, but that has nothing to do with him having talent.

    Thousands upon thousands of high school athletes are given college scholarships to play sports. Does the one that gets a full basketball ride to a small D-III school have as much talent as Andrew Wiggins? Of course not, but he still has talent.

    Hank Jr. may not be the best musican, singer, or songwriter, but we're not measuring his place on the rankings. He has talent. We could probably name hundreds of musicans we would agree are more talented, but that doesn't mean he's "devoid" of talent.
    Randy Parker likes this.

  13. #53
    Premium Member halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    45,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post

    No. I said he can play instruments - like 1,000+ other people in Nashville. Was never my part of my contention.

    We can all write songs. That doesn't mean we have a talent for it.

    Add in that he can't sing and my point is made.
    If we can all write songs why do you say MM and Drake are more talented. Can they sing or play instruments?

  14. #54
    Premium Member Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    62,647
    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    If we can all write songs why do you say MM and Drake are more talented. Can they sing or play instruments?
    I believe they are better songwriters. I believe their delivery is better. Simple.

  15. #55
    Premium Member Irish Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    2,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    How are we defining being successful?
    To start there is industry recognition with CMAs, ACMs, Emmys, Grammys. 14 Gold Albums, 8 Platinum Albums, 38 top 10 singles, 9 #1 singles. From 1980 to 1986 he had 19 consecutive singles reach the top 10 on the charts.

  16. #56
    Premium Member halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    45,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post

    I believe they are better songwriters. I believe their delivery is better. Simple.
    There are probably thousands if not millions who disagree with you.

  17. #57
    Premium Member Irish Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    2,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Re: Hank's ability to play musical instruments.

    There are 1,000 guys in Nashville that can play as many and as well . Know what we call them?

    Bartenders.
    Therfore, there must be something about Hank that sets him apart from all those bartenders.

  18. #58
    Moderator Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    34,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cat View Post
    To start there is industry recognition with CMAs, ACMs, Emmys, Grammys. 14 Gold Albums, 8 Platinum Albums, 38 top 10 singles, 9 #1 singles. From 1980 to 1986 he had 19 consecutive singles reach the top 10 on the charts.
    Now that's what I call a no-talent bum.

  19. #59
    Premium Member Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    62,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cat View Post
    To start there is industry recognition with CMAs, ACMs, Emmys, Grammys. 14 Gold Albums, 8 Platinum Albums, 38 top 10 singles, 9 #1 singles. From 1980 to 1986 he had 19 consecutive singles reach the top 10 on the charts.
    You realize that the Grammy's awarded Jethro Tull with its Best Hard Rock group, right?

    We also agree that there are no more loyal fans in music than country, right? You can put out dreck and it will sell.

    And, lastly, we're not saying that selling a lot of albums means you're talented, right?

  20. #60
    Premium Member Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    62,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cat View Post
    Therfore, there must be something about Hank that sets him apart from all those bartenders.
    Yes. It's called being Hank's son.