Greenup County Cheerleaders - National Champs!

  1. #1
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    Wrong side of the tracks
    Posts
    1,367

    Greenup County Cheerleaders - National Champs!

    The Greenup County Varsity Cheerleaders won the National High School Cheerleading Championship in Florida today. Congratulations to all these fine young women, their families and their coaches. This is number 13 for Greenup!


    I would also like to recognize Boyd County who took second place in their Division.

    Congratulations to all!
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Registered User
    MountainThunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    A proud Grandpa!!!
    Posts
    12,406

    Awesome!!!! The State of Kentucky sure does produce some tremendous cheerleading squads. These girls work so hard to get here and it is just tremendous to see them succeed.

    It does seem that the center of the cheerleading universe is right here in the bluegrass!!!

    What division were they cheering in? I thought that Greenup normally cheers in the large division which is very impressive!
    gold sunrise likes this.

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    Wrong side of the tracks
    Posts
    1,367

    They were in Large Varsity - Division II . You are right about Kentucky being the center of the cheerleading universe. There is a lot of talent in this state!

  4. #4
    Registered User
    MountainThunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    A proud Grandpa!!!
    Posts
    12,406

    Quote Originally Posted by PureFan View Post
    They were in Large Varsity - Division II . You are right about Kentucky being the center of the cheerleading universe. There is a lot of talent in this state!

  5. #5
    Premium Member
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    National Champs
    Posts
    13,582

    No clue who they are but Congrats a NATL champ is an honor!

  6. #6
    Premium Member

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    19,650

    Quote Originally Posted by PureFan View Post
    The Greenup County Varsity Cheerleaders won the National High School Cheerleading Championship in Florida today. Congratulations to all these fine young women, their families and their coaches. This is number 13 for Greenup!


    I would also like to recognize Boyd County who took second place in their Division.

    Congratulations to all!
    13? That's amazing! Congratulations to everyone involved.

  7. #7
    Premium Member
    sidelinedoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Location
    Sidelines
    Posts
    6,428

    Congratulations to the best cheerleader's in the land!!!!!!!!!!!

  8. #8
    Moderator
    gold sunrise's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 02
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    46,794

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    13? That's amazing! Congratulations to everyone involved.

  9. #9
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Posts
    280

    Congragulations. Is there a video of the squad we could watch? And can someone explain to me how this National Champion thing works. Owen County's middle school squad also won a National Championship in Indy.

  10. #10
    Bluto
    Guest

    Congratulations!!

  11. #11
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 07
    Posts
    455

    UCA has a web site with all performances, they edit the first pyramid, other than that the complete performance, and yes this is a legitimate national competition as opposed to groups that offers four or five locations to attend to be crowned 'national champs'. This is the competition on ESPN, usually first aired in April. Try this web address http://uca.varsity.com/Nationals.aspx

  12. #12
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    Wrong side of the tracks
    Posts
    1,367

    Quote Originally Posted by sidelinedoc View Post
    Congratulations to the best cheerleader's in the land!!!!!!!!!!!

  13. #13
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    High on a press box, keeping an eye on the future.
    Posts
    1,676

    You guys should watch the video on UCA.com, the music messes up and the girls do the entire dance by the crowd counting. It is unbelievable. Great Job Candy and the girls!

  14. #14
    Premium Member

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Location
    Louisville- home of the St.Xavier Tigers
    Posts
    4,841

    Quote Originally Posted by PureFan View Post
    The Greenup County Varsity Cheerleaders won the National High School Cheerleading Championship in Florida today. Congratulations to all these fine young women, their families and their coaches. This is number 13 for Greenup!


    I would also like to recognize Boyd County who took second place in their Division.

    Congratulations to all!
    That is awesome.

  15. #15
    Premium Member

    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    At the Card Table
    Posts
    14,461

    Congrats to the " Pride of the Nation"

  16. #16
    Premium Member
    Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    70,517

    Between these girls, UK, Morehead, and NKU it sure seems like KY dominates the cheer world. Any particular reason?

  17. #17
    Registered User
    threetimelover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Eamus Catuli AC000000
    Posts
    9,567

    Quote Originally Posted by cheapseats View Post
    Congragulations. Is there a video of the squad we could watch? And can someone explain to me how this National Champion thing works. Owen County's middle school squad also won a National Championship in Indy.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamapt View Post
    UCA has a web site with all performances, they edit the first pyramid, other than that the complete performance, and yes this is a legitimate national competition as opposed to groups that offers four or five locations to attend to be crowned 'national champs'. This is the competition on ESPN, usually first aired in April. Try this web address http://uca.varsity.com/Nationals.aspx
    Here's my long but complete explanation from years of experience. There are numerous "national championships" pretty much every week all over the country. A squad could presumably win a "national championship" by virtue of being the only squad in their division--I know this personally. I could create the "TTL Cheerleading Competition" and crown a National Champion.

    That being said, the only true NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in my eyes, and the eyes of many current and former cheerleaders and others, are the UCA National Championships in Florida. These are the epitome of the cheerleading world and the same organization where the UK Cheerleaders have monopolized the college division.

    The reason there could be more than one UCA champion is the different divisions, much like classes in football. They have a co-ed division, small varisty, large all-girls varsity, junior varsity, etc. This is not to take away from the accomplishment, just to explain it. There are literally hundreds if not thousands, squads all across the country that try and get to these championships. You have to win a smaller regional competition before you can even be considered for Nationals.

    The Greenup area has long been known for its cheerleading excellence. When I was a hs cheerleader in the early '90s, we won a competition in Bloomington, IN, and got a bid to Nationals. We raised money and saved and worked our tails off. We chartered a bus and rode from Kentucky to Sea World, where the competion was held then. We performed and did very well, but we were clearly not the best. We were two places away from getting to perform on ESPN, so we were so disappointed! Anyway, the Greenup cheerleaders won the year we were there, if I'm not mistaken. They have been very good for a long time and that takes a lot of commitment from the entire community. You should all be very proud of them and I know first hand how hard they work. Great job girls and parents! You guys can honestly say you are National Champs!

  18. #18
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    The land of Blue and Gold
    Posts
    18,095

    Quote Originally Posted by threetimelover View Post
    Here's my long but complete explanation from years of experience. There are numerous "national championships" pretty much every week all over the country. A squad could presumably win a "national championship" by virtue of being the only squad in their division--I know this personally. I could create the "TTL Cheerleading Competition" and crown a National Champion.

    That being said, the only true NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in my eyes, and the eyes of many current and former cheerleaders and others, are the UCA National Championships in Florida. These are the epitome of the cheerleading world and the same organization where the UK Cheerleaders have monopolized the college division.

    The reason there could be more than one UCA champion is the different divisions, much like classes in football. They have a co-ed division, small varisty, large all-girls varsity, junior varsity, etc. This is not to take away from the accomplishment, just to explain it. There are literally hundreds if not thousands, squads all across the country that try and get to these championships. You have to win a smaller regional competition before you can even be considered for Nationals.

    The Greenup area has long been known for its cheerleading excellence. When I was a hs cheerleader in the early '90s, we won a competition in Bloomington, IN, and got a bid to Nationals. We raised money and saved and worked our tails off. We chartered a bus and rode from Kentucky to Sea World, where the competion was held then. We performed and did very well, but we were clearly not the best. We were two places away from getting to perform on ESPN, so we were so disappointed! Anyway, the Greenup cheerleaders won the year we were there, if I'm not mistaken. They have been very good for a long time and that takes a lot of commitment from the entire community. You should all be very proud of them and I know first hand how hard they work. Great job girls and parents! You guys can honestly say you are National Champs!
    As a former cheerleading coach, I entirely concur. UCA is the gold standard. If there is any doubt, compare the performances of the UCA champs with any other group and you will see the difference.

  19. #19
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 10
    Location
    Watching baseball somewhere.
    Posts
    396

    Great Job! They got first out of 76 teams I think. Also Boone County High School got 7th place and Dixie Heights High School got 10th place.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    threetimelover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Eamus Catuli AC000000
    Posts
    9,567

    WOW!!! Anyone that questions whether these young women are athletes or not needs to watch this video! The way they kept their composure after losing their music and finished their routine with the crowd counting the final dance sequence is incredible! I have to give kudos to the Greenup crowd, as well. What a great showing for the state of Kentucky! Watch their routine and make sure your volume is turned up.


    http://launch.producerhq.com/1684

Top