1. #1
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    in a house
    Posts
    9,708

    Default Golf Outing costs

    I'm wanting to get some opinions on a situation. A golf course charges $51 per golfer for an outing that includes 18 holes, cart, and lunch/dinner. A typical round of golf is $50. The course is a mess, so they reduce the green fees to the public to $25 for 18 and a cart. What would you expect to be charged per person for an outing under these conditions?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    1,031
    Quote Originally Posted by nees1212 View Post
    I'm wanting to get some opinions on a situation. A golf course charges $51 per golfer for an outing that includes 18 holes, cart, and lunch/dinner. A typical round of golf is $50. The course is a mess, so they reduce the green fees to the public to $25 for 18 and a cart. What would you expect to be charged per person for an outing under these conditions?
    Is beer included? Might be a goofy question but there is reasoning behind it.

  3. #3
    Guide lawildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    The Compound
    Posts
    5,817
    I guess it depends. Is it a benefit outing? Beer included?

  4. #4
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    in a house
    Posts
    9,708
    Beer is not included in the per player cost. That was a separate, per keg cost.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    1,031
    Figure out what the per keg cost is and take a rough estimate of how many you may need. Then just do the math. I would think you won't need much more, taking into account that you would get donations for giveaways and raffles, etc.

  6. #6
    Premium Member woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Corner of walk and don't walk
    Posts
    15,382
    What is involved in the lunch/dinner? In other words how much work does the course have to put in to make it happen? Also how many people is the outing for?

  7. #7
    Premium Member ColonelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    28,588
    Generally I'd have no problem paying $51, but it sounds like you're paying $26 for lunch/dinner.

    If beer is included, that's a good deal.

    Are there any door prizes or contests (i.e. closest to the pin, longest drive, etc.)? If no, it's too expensive (given their reduced rate).

  8. #8
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    in a house
    Posts
    9,708
    This revolves around what the golf course should charge the organization on a per player basis, not what the organization should charge the public for playing in the outing. Original cost is $51 which includes golf, a grilled item (basics), chips, and a soft drink. Green fees are $50 on a normal day, so they're charging basically $1 for the food. Since the course is a mess, green fees are only $25 (w/ cart) to the general public. How much should the course charge the organization hosting the outing?

  9. #9
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    May 01
    Posts
    17,636
    My pick would be $26. Sounds like a certain NKY course our booster group used to deal with.

  10. #10
    Premium Member Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    19,619
    Flagg Springs?

  11. #11
    Premium Member HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Are You Not Entertained?
    Posts
    61,341
    Quote Originally Posted by nees1212 View Post
    This revolves around what the golf course should charge the organization on a per player basis, not what the organization should charge the public for playing in the outing. Original cost is $51 which includes golf, a grilled item (basics), chips, and a soft drink. Green fees are $50 on a normal day, so they're charging basically $1 for the food. Since the course is a mess, green fees are only $25 (w/ cart) to the general public. How much should the course charge the organization hosting the outing?
    Id say $40.

  12. #12
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    in a house
    Posts
    9,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    Flagg Springs?

    Nope.

  13. #13
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    in a house
    Posts
    9,708
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Id say $40.
    I was thinking $30 max. Charging $40, IMO, is like charging us $15 per person for food.

  14. #14
    Premium Member woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Corner of walk and don't walk
    Posts
    15,382
    Quote Originally Posted by nees1212 View Post
    I was thinking $30 max. Charging $40, IMO, is like charging us $15 per person for food.
    Again, how much work does the course have to put in for lunch? Set up, cooking, tear down/clean up, ect...

  15. #15
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    in a house
    Posts
    9,708
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Again, how much work does the course have to put in for lunch? Set up, cooking, tear down/clean up, ect...
    Nothing out of the ordinary. You get a grilled item from either the clubhouse or concession stand. No special catering or setup involved. It would be no different than you and your buddies out for a round and swinging into the clubhouse afterwards (or at the turn) for a quick bite to eat.

  16. #16
    Premium Member woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Corner of walk and don't walk
    Posts
    15,382
    Quote Originally Posted by nees1212 View Post
    Nothing out of the ordinary. You get a grilled item from either the clubhouse or concession stand. No special catering or setup involved. It would be no different than you and your buddies out for a round and swinging into the clubhouse afterwards (or at the turn) for a quick bite to eat.
    Then the cost should no more then greens fee + cost of a meal.

  17. #17
    Premium Member Mustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 01
    Location
    Extreme Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    5,825
    Depending on how many golfers you might expect, offer to rent the course for a day or half-day.
    Going rate to rent a course is @$3500 for a half day, which, if you can get 144 golfers, equates to @$25.00 per golfer.
    Grill your own meats, and have someone cater the event.
    If you buy beer from the course, something in the vicinity of $24/$25 a case of cans is the going rate. $125 per half-barrel.
    Run a Split-the-Pot, sell Mulligans, maybe a skins game, etc..
    Put together a nice silent auction, and sell lots of hole sponsors.
    IF you have a worthy cause you can get a lot of stuff donated.
    $90 a player in a quality outing is acceptable.
    Good luck!!!

  18. #18
    Premium Member KY Thorobred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Dynasty
    Posts
    6,545
    golfnow.com is the only way to go!