You borrow something and break it. What's your obligation?

  1. #1
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    9,135

    You borrow something and break it. What's your obligation?

    I will try to keep this somewhat short.

    Tom borrows a piece of equipment from Mary. While in Tom's possession the piece of equipment breaks. The piece of equipment is used and a few years old. What is Tom's obligation?

    A. Pay to fix the item (if possible it can be fixed)?
    B. Replace the item in kind (same model/brand a few years old)?
    C. Buy a brand new equivalent piece of equipment?

    Now, if Tom chooses C, to replace the broken, used piece of equipment with something brand new and equivalent, is Tom obligated to buy the exact same brand/model etc. or does/should he have a little leeway in that?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    60,022

    If possible, option A.

    If repair is not possible or it costs as much as a replacement, option C and it's the same one that you broke.

  3. #3
    StrongSide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Location
    Birds Nest
    Posts
    1,103

    Option C, I hate being in debt to someone. If anything I would try to provide a better product/piece of equipment.

  4. #4
    Godot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Edmonson County
    Posts
    17,903

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    If possible, option A.

    If repair is not possible or it costs as much as a replacement, option C and it's the same one that you broke.
    I agree

  5. #5
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    130,584

    Quote Originally Posted by BigVMan23 View Post
    I will try to keep this somewhat short.

    Tom borrows a piece of equipment from Mary. While in Tom's possession the piece of equipment breaks. The piece of equipment is used and a few years old. What is Tom's obligation?

    A. Pay to fix the item (if possible it can be fixed)?
    B. Replace the item in kind (same model/brand a few years old)?
    C. Buy a brand new equivalent piece of equipment?

    Now, if Tom chooses C, to replace the broken, used piece of equipment with something brand new and equivalent, is Tom obligated to buy the exact same brand/model etc. or does/should he have a little leeway in that?
    As some of you know I did some photography for BGP for about 10 years. The equipment is ultra expensive and one time I got in a bind and asked a friend to borrow a 3K Nikon Camera Body. I have NEVER dropped any of my photographic equipment but I can't say the same for the one I borrowed.

    In short, I offered my friend anything he wanted including a brand new unit because I damaged his - it was cosmetic - but it was still damage and it was his new camera.

    In short, he took a different offer I gave him which was purchasing a $300 battery pack to go with his now roughed up camera but I believe you are on the hook for total replacement.

  6. #6
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    49,330

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    If possible, option A.

    If repair is not possible or it costs as much as a replacement, option C and it's the same one that you broke.
    I concur.

  7. #7
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    28,575

    I would offer, in earnest, to do any of the three options mentioned in the OP...whichever is the owner's preference, and then do whichever they chose.

    Years ago I borrowed a friend's circular saw to help build a second-story deck on a different friends house. Long story short, the saw ended up accidentally falling off the deck while we were building it and was absolute toast. The saw was about 10 years old and the brand was not manufacturing a worm-drive saw like that any longer, so I offered to find a "vintage" one like it online, or buy whatever equivalent saw he wanted, brand new. Ended up buying a new one.

  8. #8
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    70,737

    For sure option A first. Then B if it's available. C would be every last resort and I would do my best to get the brand they wanted.

  9. #9
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    60,022

    Alright, @BigVMan23, were you the borrower or person borrowed from??

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    the Indo
    Posts
    9,674

    A and then C.

  11. #11
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    45,681

    I'd tell whoever it belongs to that I broke it and let them offer solutions to resolve it.

  12. #12
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    9,178

    Easy. I don't borrow.

    If I need something, depending on the situation, I will either rent it or buy it.

    By the way, I seldom do any project that does not reward me with a new tool.

  13. #13
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    9,135

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Alright, @BigVMan23, were you the borrower or person borrowed from??
    Yep, here's the story.

    I borrowed a pressure washer from a friend late last summer to do some work around the house. Came home one day to find it missing from my garage. Turns out, without my permission or knowledge, my youngest step daughters boyfriend had come gotten it, used it and in doing so because he's an idiot, destroyed the pump thus rendering the washer unusable. I was very upset to say the least as it's a $400 piece of equipment. Upon finding this out, I told my friend I would either get it fixed if possible, or if it couldn't be fixed or was going to cost about as much as a replacement, I would buy her a new one. Now, my idea of a new one was something at least equivalent and not necessarily the exact same brand/model, so I would shop around and see what was out there. After looking around I found better deals to be had, and was planning on (if I had to purchase a new one) buying an equivalent new washer, but a different brand. Looks like I am going to have to replace it, so new pressure washer it is.

    In discussing this with her the other day and saying looks like I will go ahead and buy her a new one, she states that she wants it to be the exact same model and brand of the broken one. Well I found a better deal on another brand with the same brand and size/cc of engine (engine brand was a huge deal for her)...same pressure specs, psi and gpm of the washer. Well, I just kind of shrugged and said ok and I am going to buy the exact brand and model new...however, i don't think I am OBLIGATED to do that since I am replacing an old, used piece of equipment with a brand new piece. I personally believe I have a little leeway here and if I can find a better deal with a similar piece of equipment replacing used with new, then that should be ok.

    But...she asked for the exact same thing so that's what I am going to do. I just wondered what others felt their obligation would be in a similar situation.

  14. #14
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    9,135

    Quote Originally Posted by coldweatherfan View Post
    Easy. I don't borrow.

    If I need something, depending on the situation, I will either rent it or buy it.

    By the way, I seldom do any project that does not reward me with a new tool.
    I'm usually ok with loaning stuff out (to certain people) and I am responsible with stuff with which I borrow so I have never had any problems till now. Of course after this fiasco I told two young people they were to NEVER come get anything out of my garage without asking me first (which they were supposed to know that in the first place)...and then the answer would probably be "no" if it cost more than a roll of paper towels.

    These same kids cost me another $350 after purchasing a manual clutch kit for her car and immediately totaling the car with probably no more than 2 miles put on the clutch.

    So in a span of about 2 weeks they cost me about $800 with nary a thing to show for it. But that's another thread all it's own.

  15. #15
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    60,022

    Quote Originally Posted by BigVMan23 View Post
    Yep, here's the story.

    I borrowed a pressure washer from a friend late last summer to do some work around the house. Came home one day to find it missing from my garage. Turns out, without my permission or knowledge, my youngest step daughters boyfriend had come gotten it, used it and in doing so because he's an idiot, destroyed the pump thus rendering the washer unusable. I was very upset to say the least as it's a $400 piece of equipment. Upon finding this out, I told my friend I would either get it fixed if possible, or if it couldn't be fixed or was going to cost about as much as a replacement, I would buy her a new one. Now, my idea of a new one was something at least equivalent and not necessarily the exact same brand/model, so I would shop around and see what was out there. After looking around I found better deals to be had, and was planning on (if I had to purchase a new one) buying an equivalent new washer, but a different brand. Looks like I am going to have to replace it, so new pressure washer it is.

    In discussing this with her the other day and saying looks like I will go ahead and buy her a new one, she states that she wants it to be the exact same model and brand of the broken one. Well I found a better deal on another brand with the same brand and size/cc of engine (engine brand was a huge deal for her)...same pressure specs, psi and gpm of the washer. Well, I just kind of shrugged and said ok and I am going to buy the exact brand and model new...however, i don't think I am OBLIGATED to do that since I am replacing an old, used piece of equipment with a brand new piece. I personally believe I have a little leeway here and if I can find a better deal with a similar piece of equipment replacing used with new, then that should be ok.

    But...she asked for the exact same thing so that's what I am going to do. I just wondered what others felt their obligation would be in a similar situation.
    I feel like since she specified that she wanted the same one, you're obligated to get her that one. Although, I'd make the step-daughter's boyfriend foot the bill.

Top