Working out 2017

  1. #1
    newarkcatholicfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    OLD AMERICA
    Posts
    38,957

    Working out 2017

    So far I have hit the gym 9 days this year. Each workout has been for over 2 hours, with the exception of one, and that one was for 1:37 minutes.
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 07
    Posts
    6,900

    Does anyone work out with one of those rowing machines?

  3. #3
    newarkcatholicfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    OLD AMERICA
    Posts
    38,957

    The workout today went well. 3 hours. 1 hour on the elliptical, 1 hour on the stationary bike and then one hour of weights and gut work.

  4. #4
    newarkcatholicfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    OLD AMERICA
    Posts
    38,957

    Today was workout number 11 of the year.

    3 hours and 2 minutes.

  5. #5
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    19,145

    Quote Originally Posted by All In View Post
    Does anyone work out with one of those rowing machines?
    I use them a lot. One of the best tools can you use if used correctly. Great for intervals of long distance pain fests. If you decide to use one please do yourself a favor and learn proper technique first. Lot's of youtube videos on how to row properly. Google Concept 2 rower technique.

  6. #6
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    51,247

    Today was my first day back in the gym since tearing my meniscus. I lifted 45 minutes and swam 20 minutes. Not bad for first day back.

    After seeing my numbers at the doctor's office yesterday, I'm very motivated to get back in shape.

  7. #7
    SnottieDrippen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 15
    Location
    Temecula
    Posts
    3,553

    Quote Originally Posted by newarkcatholicfan View Post
    Today was workout number 11 of the year.

    3 hours and 2 minutes.
    A biology friend of mind once told me long workouts are inefficient. Basically they put more stress on your body than is required to get the same effect. This was in reference to weight training only. I'm ignorant in the ways of cardio.

  8. #8
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    19,145

    Quote Originally Posted by SnottieDrippen View Post
    A biology friend of mind once told me long workouts are inefficient. Basically they put more stress on your body than is required to get the same effect. This was in reference to weight training only. I'm ignorant in the ways of cardio.
    It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Weight training should really take no longer than 45 mins - 1 hour total. Cardio 20-30mins with shorter more intense days thrown in. If you are training for a marathon or some other long endurance competition you will obviously have to put in more time than this. But putting in 2-3 hour workouts a day is by rule pretty inefficient. You put your body in to starvation mode and burn your muscle. You first goal should be strength training than cardio.

  9. #9
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    51,247

    I wish I had time to workout 2-3 hours a day. That's not possible for most folks.

  10. #10
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    133,149

    Quote Originally Posted by newarkcatholicfan View Post
    The workout today went well. 3 hours. 1 hour on the elliptical, 1 hour on the stationary bike and then one hour of weights and gut work.
    You sound Manic ncf. That is too much at one time.

  11. #11
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    38,936

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    You sound Manic ncf. That is too much at one time.
    No kidding, that sounds like me

  12. #12
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    133,149

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    No kidding, that sounds like me
    In fairness here, you are a competitive triathlete, ncf is an old guy like me.

  13. #13
    formerkywrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    27,291

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    You sound Manic ncf. That is too much at one time.
    I did something similar two weeks ago.

    1 hr yoga, 1 hr swim, 1 hr bike, 35 min run (I got hungry)

  14. #14
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    38,936

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    In fairness here, you are a competitive triathlete, ncf is an old guy like me.
    You can remove the word "competitive", but the rest is accurate. Especially the old part.

  15. #15
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    133,149

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    You can remove the word "competitive", but the rest is accurate. Especially the old part.
    Once, not too long ago, competitive?

Top