Winter Weather Advisory 1/20/16 UPDATE

Page 3 of As I expected the advisories are already starting to be issued. FLEMING-MONTGOMERY-BATH-ESTILL-POWELL-ROCKCASTLE-JACKSON-PULASKI- LAUREL-WAYNE-MCCREARY... 49 comments | 2309 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    43,835

    5:00am, looks like about 3/4" inch on the ground in central Louisville at this point.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    43,835

    Jefferson County Public Schools and Jefferson County Catholic Schools have both called off. No word from Oldham County yet...

  3. #33
    Content1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Me and my horsey and a quart o' beer
    Posts
    5,897

    I left work early to get a jump on traffic. Rather leave at 4:30 and get home in 20-25 mins vs leave at 7a and get home at 8:30a!

    Roads are snow covered and wet in the slow lanes where they have salted. Heavier snow and sleet accums will be in the southern 1/3rd of the commonwealth based on radar returns so far in the last few hours. Going to get messier the closer to the KY/TN border.

    Be safe and enjoy extra quality time with the kids today! I'm passing the baton to our bgp meteorologist, the man, the magical weather wizard.....nWo!!!

  4. #34
    nWo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Richmond,KY
    Posts
    40,747

    Quote Originally Posted by Content1 View Post
    I left work early to get a jump on traffic. Rather leave at 4:30 and get home in 20-25 mins vs leave at 7a and get home at 8:30a!

    Roads are snow covered and wet in the slow lanes where they have salted. Heavier snow and sleet accums will be in the southern 1/3rd of the commonwealth based on radar returns so far in the last few hours. Going to get messier the closer to the KY/TN border.

    Be safe and enjoy extra quality time with the kids today! I'm passing the baton to our bgp meteorologist, the man, the magical weather wizard.....nWo!!!

  5. #35
    Content1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Me and my horsey and a quart o' beer
    Posts
    5,897

    I do have to chuckle...dry air has moved and this hickup is winding down quickly. Aside from the KY/TN border this clipper is struggling to produce 1" +.

    I remember back in the 70s and 80s we had no delays or snowdays unless there was 4" + on the ground. How on Gods good earth did we survive that???

    Enjoy the french toast and have a Happy Hump Day!!!

  6. #36
    TTS_JF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    @ Practice We talking about Practice... Not a game we talking about PRACTICE
    Posts
    3,858

    Wife is on 275 said it's not the best as of right now

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    9,163

    Roads are really bad in NKY. I left at 5:15 to take my wife to he airport not too bad when I left, absolutely horrible on the way back. Be careful out there. There isn't much, but it is treacherous in this cold on the roads.

  8. #38
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    43,835

    Quote Originally Posted by Content1 View Post
    I do have to chuckle...dry air has moved and this hickup is winding down quickly. Aside from the KY/TN border this clipper is struggling to produce 1" +.
    It's still coming down steadily here in Louisville. It's at least edging up on 1-1/2" here right now if it's not there already.

  9. #39
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,291

    Left for work at 5:35; got to work just after 6. 275 and 471 weren't great, but they had been treated. As soon as I crossed into Ohio it was as if this storm popped out of nowhere with no notice. Stoplights out, roads not even the least bit touched by crews. It was bad. Idiots.

  10. #40
    Content1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Me and my horsey and a quart o' beer
    Posts
    5,897

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    It's still coming down steadily here in Louisville. It's at least edging up on 1-1/2" here right now if it's not there already.
    ...and how many times did you have school at covcath called off for under less than 2" of snow ???

    My point is before folks became more litigious, and more distracted with cell phones, CDs, etc....we went to school back then under much worse conditions.

    We had 8 track, cassette, radio, and a goal not to be late for homeroom or else!

  11. #41
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    43,835

    Quote Originally Posted by Content1 View Post
    ...and how many times did you have school at covcath called off for under less than 2" of snow ???

    My point is before folks became more litigious, and more distracted with cell phones, CDs, etc....we went to school back then under much worse conditions.

    We had 8 track, cassette, radio, and a goal not to be late for homeroom or else!
    I don't disagree with you.

    I think it's largely a product of people being more litigious, like you said. My mother in law is a school administrator, and she always talks about the fact that when they do cancel/postpone school, they get complaints from parents about having to make arrangements for their kids, and if they don't cancel/postpone, they get complaints from parents about having to make their way to and from school in the treacherous weather. They can't win.

  12. #42
    Content1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Me and my horsey and a quart o' beer
    Posts
    5,897

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    I don't disagree with you.

    I think it's largely a product of people being more litigious, like you said. My mother in law is a school administrator, and she always talks about the fact that when they do cancel/postpone school, they get complaints from parents about having to make arrangements for their kids, and if they don't cancel/postpone, they get complaints from parents about having to make their way to and from school in the treacherous weather. They can't win.
    Just another sign of our society not looking out for one another as they did back when we were younger. Folks had more tolerance, compromised, and crossed boundaries because it was simply what we did. Now we complain too easily, are way too entitled, and are unwilling to make short term sacrifices for long term gain! In other words folks had back ups for a back up if and when school was called off to have a responsible person watch their kid, because of solid social relationships.

    I can certainly empathize with your Mother in Laws position. Good Lord she let her daughter marry you!

  13. #43
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,263

    I came in at 10 and the roads were still pretty bad.

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    16,369

    Quote Originally Posted by Content1 View Post
    ...and how many times did you have school at covcath called off for under less than 2" of snow ???
    Reminds me of the Bob Rowe Snow you tube.

  15. #45
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    50,315

    Still snowing here...pretty steady. I had expected it to stop by now.

Top