Winter Storm Warning

  1. #1
    nWo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Richmond,KY
    Posts
    40,749

    Winter Storm Warning

    The purple area is the warning. The blue is the watch area

    Name:  lmk.png
Views: 358
Size:  12.4 KB

    BUTLER-EDMONSON-HART-GREEN-TAYLOR-CASEY-LINCOLN-LOGAN-WARREN-
    SIMPSON-ALLEN-BARREN-MONROE-METCALFE-ADAIR-RUSSELL-CUMBERLAND-
    CLINTON-
    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MORGANTOWN...BROWNSVILLE...HORSE CAVE...
    MUNFORDVILLE...GREENSBURG...CAMPBELLSVILLE...LIBER TY...STANFORD...
    RUSSELLVILLE...BOWLING GREEN...FRANKLIN...PROVIDENCE...
    SCOTTSVILLE...GLASGOW...TOMPKINSVILLE...EDMONTON.. .COLUMBIA...
    RUSSELL SPRINGS...JAMESTOWN...SALEM...BURKESVILLE...ALBANY
    337 AM EST THU JAN 21 2016 /237 AM CST THU JAN 21 2016/

    ...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM EST /6 PM CST/ THIS
    EVENING TO 7 AM EST /6 AM CST/ SATURDAY...

    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LOUISVILLE HAS ISSUED A WINTER
    STORM WARNING FOR FREEZING RAIN AND SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT
    FROM 7 PM EST /6 PM CST/ THIS EVENING TO 7 AM EST /6 AM CST/
    SATURDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

    * TIMING...A WINTRY MIX OF FREEZING RAIN...SLEET AND SNOW WILL
    DEVELOP LATE TONIGHT. THE WINTRY MIX WILL CHANGE OVER TO ALL
    SNOW FRIDAY MORNING AND CONTINUE THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY MORNING.

    * MAIN IMPACTS...ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO ONE QUARTER OF AN INCH
    WILL BE POSSIBLE BEFORE THE WINTRY MIX CHANGES OVER TO SNOW.
    SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 9 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE IN
    AREAS ALONG AND NORTH OF THE CUMBERLAND PARKWAY. AREAS SOUTH OF
    THE CUMBERLAND PARKWAY DOWN TOWARD THE KENTUCKY AND TENNESSEE
    BORDER WILL SEE SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 6 INCHES BY SATURDAY
    MORNING.

    * OTHER IMPACTS...IN ADDITION TO THE SNOWFALL...GUSTY WINDS OF 30
    TO 35 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE LEADING TO SEVERELY REDUCED
    VISIBILITIES AT TIMES ALONG WITH BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW.

    PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

    A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...
    SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO
    POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE. IF
    YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD...AND WATER IN
    YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Content1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Me and my horsey and a quart o' beer
    Posts
    5,897

    The "White Death" beckons...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sdfuq1459I

    In all seriousness...be safe and prepare accordingly! Thank you nWo for being on top of the situation.

  3. #3
    nWo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Richmond,KY
    Posts
    40,749

    Haha that song is a good one. After the ice storm a couple of years ago I promised myself I would never get caught unprepared like that again.

  4. #4
    Content1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Me and my horsey and a quart o' beer
    Posts
    5,897

    Quote Originally Posted by nWo View Post
    Haha that song is a good one. After the ice storm a couple of years ago I promised myself I would never get caught unprepared like that again.
    Good man, and enjoy the time home with family! Thinking I'll be following your lead and not working Friday night. If we end up under a snow emergency I'm as good as home. If not, it will be an adventure. Going to pray this primarily remains a snow event. The freezing rain element of this storm needs to disappear!!!

  5. #5
    nWo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Richmond,KY
    Posts
    40,749

    Quote Originally Posted by Content1 View Post
    Good man, and enjoy the time home with family! Thinking I'll be following your lead and not working Friday night. If we end up under a snow emergency I'm as good as home. If not, it will be an adventure. Going to pray this primarily remains a snow event. The freezing rain element of this storm needs to disappear!!!
    I agree completely

  6. #6
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    8,783

    One was just issued for the Ashland area as well.

  7. #7
    nWo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Richmond,KY
    Posts
    40,749

    Quote Originally Posted by JDEaston View Post
    One was just issued for the Ashland area as well.
    You are right. I don't know why I didn't receive the alert. I have an alert area set up for Boyd Co.

    Name:  mapserver.fcgi.png
Views: 332
Size:  89.9 KB

  8. #8
    nWo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Richmond,KY
    Posts
    40,749

    WKY was just added

    Name:  wms_iNWS.png
Views: 336
Size:  111.6 KB

    FULTON-HICKMAN-CARLISLE-BALLARD-MCCRACKEN-GRAVES-LIVINGSTON-
    MARSHALL-CALLOWAY-CRITTENDEN-LYON-TRIGG-CALDWELL-WEBSTER-HOPKINS-
    CHRISTIAN-DAVIESS-MCLEAN-MUHLENBERG-TODD-MISSISSIPPI-NEW MADRID-
    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HICKMAN...CLINTON...BARDWELL...
    WICKLIFFE...PADUCAH...MAYFIELD...SMITHLAND...BENTO N...MURRAY...
    MARION...EDDYVILLE...CADIZ...PRINCETON...DIXON...M ADISONVILLE...
    HOPKINSVILLE...OWENSBORO...CALHOUN...GREENVILLE... ELKTON...
    CHARLESTON...NEW MADRID
    442 AM CST THU JAN 21 2016

    ...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO
    MIDNIGHT CST FRIDAY NIGHT...

    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PADUCAH HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM
    WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO MIDNIGHT
    CST FRIDAY NIGHT. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

    THE WARNING INCLUDES MOST OF WEST KENTUCKY... AND NEW MADRID AND
    MISSISSIPPI COUNTIES IN SOUTHEAST MISSOURI

    * TIMING: A MIX OF FREEZING RAIN AND SNOW...AND POSSIBLY SOME
    SLEET...WILL SPREAD NORTH ACROSS THE AREA TONIGHT. THE
    PRECIPITATION WILL QUICKLY TRANSITION TO ALL SNOW AFTER
    MIDNIGHT. THE SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH MUCH OF FRIDAY BEFORE
    TAPERING OFF FROM WEST TO EAST FROM THE LATE AFTERNOON INTO
    EVENING HOURS FRIDAY.

    * MAIN IMPACT: ONE TO TWO TENTHS OF AN INCH OF ICE ACCUMULATION
    WILL BE POSSIBLE TONIGHT...WITH THE GREATEST AMOUNTS LIKELY TO
    BE IN THE VICINITY OF THE WEST KENTUCKY PARKWAY. 4 TO 8 INCHES
    OF SNOW IS EXPECTED FRIDAY AND FRIDAY EVENING. THE GREATEST
    AMOUNTS WILL BE ALONG AND EAST OF THE LAKES IN WEST KENTUCKY.

    * OTHER IMPACTS: TRAVEL ACROSS THE REGION WILL QUICKLY BECOME
    DANGEROUS WITH THE ONSET OF THE FREEZING RAIN. ONCE THE SNOW
    BEGINS...VISIBILITIES MAY DROP BELOW A QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.
    GUSTY NORTH AND NORTHEAST WINDS WILL LEAD TO BLOWING AND
    DRIFTING OF SNOW WHICH WILL ONLY MAKE TRAVEL CONDITIONS WORSE.
    THE STRONG WINDS MAY LEAD TO SOME ISOLATED POWER OUTAGES WHERE
    THE GREATEST ICING OCCURS.

    PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

    A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...
    SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO
    POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

  9. #9
    hoops5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 10
    Posts
    16,446

    Quote Originally Posted by nWo View Post
    The purple area is the warning. The blue is the watch area

    Name:  lmk.png
Views: 358
Size:  12.4 KB

    BUTLER-EDMONSON-HART-GREEN-TAYLOR-CASEY-LINCOLN-LOGAN-WARREN-
    SIMPSON-ALLEN-BARREN-MONROE-METCALFE-ADAIR-RUSSELL-CUMBERLAND-
    CLINTON-
    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MORGANTOWN...BROWNSVILLE...HORSE CAVE...
    MUNFORDVILLE...GREENSBURG...CAMPBELLSVILLE...LIBER TY...STANFORD...
    RUSSELLVILLE...BOWLING GREEN...FRANKLIN...PROVIDENCE...
    SCOTTSVILLE...GLASGOW...TOMPKINSVILLE...EDMONTON.. .COLUMBIA...
    RUSSELL SPRINGS...JAMESTOWN...SALEM...BURKESVILLE...ALBANY
    337 AM EST THU JAN 21 2016 /237 AM CST THU JAN 21 2016/

    ...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM EST /6 PM CST/ THIS
    EVENING TO 7 AM EST /6 AM CST/ SATURDAY...

    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LOUISVILLE HAS ISSUED A WINTER
    STORM WARNING FOR FREEZING RAIN AND SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT
    FROM 7 PM EST /6 PM CST/ THIS EVENING TO 7 AM EST /6 AM CST/
    SATURDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

    * TIMING...A WINTRY MIX OF FREEZING RAIN...SLEET AND SNOW WILL
    DEVELOP LATE TONIGHT. THE WINTRY MIX WILL CHANGE OVER TO ALL
    SNOW FRIDAY MORNING AND CONTINUE THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY MORNING.

    * MAIN IMPACTS...ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO ONE QUARTER OF AN INCH
    WILL BE POSSIBLE BEFORE THE WINTRY MIX CHANGES OVER TO SNOW.
    SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 9 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE IN
    AREAS ALONG AND NORTH OF THE CUMBERLAND PARKWAY. AREAS SOUTH OF
    THE CUMBERLAND PARKWAY DOWN TOWARD THE KENTUCKY AND TENNESSEE
    BORDER WILL SEE SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 6 INCHES BY SATURDAY
    MORNING.

    * OTHER IMPACTS...IN ADDITION TO THE SNOWFALL...GUSTY WINDS OF 30
    TO 35 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE LEADING TO SEVERELY REDUCED
    VISIBILITIES AT TIMES ALONG WITH BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW.

    PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

    A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...
    SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO
    POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE. IF
    YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD...AND WATER IN
    YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.
    THANK YOU!
    Question--why is Lexington smack in the pink, but not mentioned as one of the cities affected? Worried about my UK kids!

  10. #10
    Beechwoodfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Posts
    5,952

    Quote Originally Posted by hoops5 View Post
    THANK YOU!
    Question--why is Lexington smack in the pink, but not mentioned as one of the cities affected? Worried about my UK kids!
    As a veteran UK parent I can tell you not to worry about your UK kids. They likely have not only been planning on this, but counting on it as well. Not planning in the same way you or I would plan....but planning nonetheless!

  11. #11
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    I'm totally prepared. I bought extra bacon.

  12. #12
    nkypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Taylor Mill, KY
    Posts
    7,659

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    I'm totally prepared. I bought extra bacon.
    Never can have too much bacon in the house.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by nkypete View Post
    Never can have too much bacon in the house.
    I have 3 packages of Oscar Meyer center cut I found on sale at Kroger for 1.99/pkg in the freezer. I should be able to make it through this stor..

  14. #14
    PP1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    3,283

    I have an entire lamb in my freezer and two packs of gum in the cupboard. I'm all set.

  15. #15
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by PP1 View Post
    I have an entire lamb in my freezer and two packs of gum in the cupboard. I'm all set.
    His wool should keep him warm.

Top