What in the Hell is Hominy???

Page 2 of My dad likes it a lot; I think it smells like dirty feet. Please tell me that Oldog75 is the only person on here who likes... uh, ... whatever the hell... 29 comments | 1120 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    9,940

    Just so all y'all know.

    If you've had a corn totilla - you've had hominy.

    Corn tortillas are made from masa harina. Which is ground hominy.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    9,940

    I know the whole process sounds rather disgusting, but hominy made from tree ash lye is healthier for you than whole corn.

    You're body cannot process many of the nutrients in corn, most notably niacin.

    Turning it to hominy makes it possible for your body to absorb the nutrients.

    All that being said. I do not like hominy whole. I do love grits though.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    27,402

    Quote Originally Posted by coldweatherfan View Post
    Just so all y'all know.

    If you've had a corn totilla - you've had hominy.

    Corn tortillas are made from masa harina. Which is ground hominy.
    Then hominy is awesome!

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,980

    Is it true that hominy can help a man become more virile and pleasing to his woman? I have read as much, but is it true? If anyone knows if there is a correlation between hominy and virility, please post.

  5. #20
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    9,940

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    Is it true that hominy can help a man become more virile and pleasing to his woman? I have read as much, but is it true? If anyone knows if there is a correlation between hominy and virility, please post.

    A friend friend of mine is Asian and says that their hominy is made from millet, and is considered to be a Yang food. Meaning it is good for health and virility.

    Hominy from corn is not a Yang food.

  6. #21
    Runcible Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 17
    Location
    A river runs through it.
    Posts
    1,805

    ^ 那么这个东西没有阳么?

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,980

    Quote Originally Posted by coldweatherfan View Post
    A friend friend of mine is Asian and says that their hominy is made from millet, and is considered to be a Yang food. Meaning it is good for health and virility.

    Hominy from corn is not a Yang food.
    I need some yang. If I have to suffer through some millet, so be it.

  8. #23
    OlDog75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Sittin' in the stands above the 50 yard line.
    Posts
    9,760

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    Is it true that hominy can help a man become more virile and pleasing to his woman? I have read as much, but is it true? If anyone knows if there is a correlation between hominy and virility, please post.
    My Grandpa said so, it's gotta be true!

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,980

    Quote Originally Posted by OlDog75 View Post
    My Grandpa said so, it's gotta be true!
    Good enough for me. I've gotta get my yang on. Would you suggest Bush's?

  10. #25
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,753

    Quote Originally Posted by coldweatherfan View Post
    I know the whole process sounds rather disgusting, but hominy made from tree ash lye is healthier for you than whole corn.

    You're body cannot process many of the nutrients in corn, most notably niacin.

    Turning it to hominy makes it possible for your body to absorb the nutrients.

    All that being said. I do not like hominy whole. I do love grits though.
    What puzzles me is how those who originated this process (Native Americans, Mayans, etc... ) even knew to do this in the first place, and what benefits there would be from doing so. How does one arrive at the idea to one day say "I know... I'll soak corn kernels in tree ash lye so that the body can absorb niacin and other nutrients".

  11. #26
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    12,753

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    I saw what you did there.
    If I said anything clever here then it was just a happy accident, for at the risk of sounding stupid, I honestly don't know what it is that I did here that had you thinking that you "Saw what I did there", but thanks anyhow for thinking that I was clever when in truth I wasn't.

  12. #27
    Runcible Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 17
    Location
    A river runs through it.
    Posts
    1,805

    Quote Originally Posted by Runcible Owl View Post
    ^ 那么这个东西没有阳么?
    Sorry. Re: hominy. ^ "So... no yang for that thang?"

  13. #28
    OlDog75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Sittin' in the stands above the 50 yard line.
    Posts
    9,760

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    Good enough for me. I've gotta get my yang on. Would you suggest Bush's?

  14. #29
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    9,940

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Ball-fan View Post
    What puzzles me is how those who originated this process (Native Americans, Mayans, etc... ) even knew to do this in the first place, and what benefits there would be from doing so. How does one arrive at the idea to one day say "I know... I'll soak corn kernels in tree ash lye so that the body can absorb niacin and other nutrients".
    Like so many things I'm sure it started out as an accident.

    They found out that it allowed them to make it into a flour or paste that would bind together.

    Ground corn by itself will not bind.

    The health aspect was just an added benefit that they didn't even realize.

  15. #30
    LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    In God's hands
    Posts
    56,250

    Anytime I ever heard the word "Hominy" I break out in cold sweats. It brings back memories to when I was 5 or 6 years old and at my paternal Grandmother's house. My parents had to go out of town, and my maternal grandparents were gone also, so it was a rare occasion where I had to spend the night at my Dad's mom's house. For dinner that night my grandma served some sort of meat, with peas and hominy. I already hated peas, and the hominy looked and smelled awful. My grandma told me that I couldn't leave the table until I ate everything on my plate. I was prepared to wait her out, until she threatened to "Cut of my tally wacker " if I didn't finish what was on my plate. I forced it down, about gagging with every bite. I never spend the night with her again.

Top