The $$$ Thread - Financial Advice

Page 4 of I thought I would open a new thread for those of us who want to discuss boring stuff like money. For starters, I have joined the Acorns app but am stil... 94 comments | 3841 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Ohio vs. the world!
    Posts
    23,875

    Going to be below 15,000 by the weekend it appears. That will take a while to fix.
    Advertisement

  2. #47
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,416

    It's rebounding a little after lunch. Back up almost 200 points.

  3. #48
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,416

    Gas prices are at a 12-year low ($27 barrel) now. That's why the market is crashing.

  4. #49

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,807

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    Gas prices are at a 12-year low ($27 barrel) now. That's why the market is crashing.
    And Obama just praised himself for getting lower gas prices. Guess he don't take credit for all the jobs loss due to that now.

  5. #50
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,416

    Okay...this is probably the dumbest question ever but I'm going to throw it out there anyways. Let's say I wanted to buy some Apple stock.

    I see that it's at $96.70 a share at market close today. How does one make a purchase? Let's say I want to buy 5 shares right now, how do I do that?

  6. #51
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Ohio vs. the world!
    Posts
    23,875

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    Okay...this is probably the dumbest question ever but I'm going to throw it out there anyways. Let's say I wanted to buy some Apple stock. I see that it's at $96.70 a share at market close today. How does one make a purchase? Let's say I want to buy 5 shares right now, how do I do that?
    Walk into a brokers office face to face and do it or get on E-Trade, Scottrade.com or one of the others.

  7. #52
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,416

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    Walk into a brokers office face to face and do it or get on E-Trade, Scottrade.com or one of the others.
    Can you buy it individually like that? I don't understand that process

  8. #53

    Join Date
    Nov 15
    Posts
    2,054

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    Kind of agree, particularly energy stocks. I've lost thousands of dollars this month but it could have been worse.
    Same here. When we bought our home prime interest rate was 15% . We had most of it saved and paid it off as quickly as possible. Now we have some cash and can't find anywhere to invest it for now we've sidelined it. At least, it's not jumping out the window time for our other investments, won't be the first time we rode it down and hopefully back up. Just trying to figure when it's reached the bottom and get back in with the extra we have right now.

  9. #54
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Ohio vs. the world!
    Posts
    23,875

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    Can you buy it individually like that? I don't understand that process
    Yes you can buy one stock or you can buy a fund that has 10 stocks within it, one could even be Apple. I have Apple in a fund of mine. It is risky buying one stock though your "all in."

  10. #55
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,263

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    Can you buy it individually like that? I don't understand that process
    Yes, it's very easy. Setup the account. Fund it by setting up your bank account for an electronic transfer. It will take a couple days for the that process to all be final and the funds settled.

    Fidelity
    Etrade
    Scottrade

    Tons of different online brokerages. Then place the order to buy apple stock.

  11. #56
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,416

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Yes, it's very easy. Setup the account. Fund it by setting up your bank account for an electronic transfer. It will take a couple days for the that process to all be final and the funds settled.

    Fidelity
    Etrade
    Scottrade

    Tons of different online brokerages. Then place the order to buy apple stock.
    I think I would be more comfortable with someone doing this for me. Where do you go to find an investor who helps you do the business end of things and you just say I want this and this and here's my money?

  12. #57

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    I think I would be more comfortable with someone doing this for me. Where do you go to find an investor who helps you do the business end of things and you just say I want this and this and here's my money?
    How much cash do you have to invest? That may determine your options.

  13. #58
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,416

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    How much cash do you have to invest? That may determine your options.
    Nothing major, especially starting out. I just want to be able to buy a few here and there and add to it over time.

  14. #59

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    Nothing major, especially starting out. I just want to be able to buy a few here and there and add to it over time.
    Brokerages have minimums. I'd first call a local financial advisor and ask him/her if there is a local office you can go to.

    Online brokerages are easy to use.

  15. #60
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,263

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    I think I would be more comfortable with someone doing this for me. Where do you go to find an investor who helps you do the business end of things and you just say I want this and this and here's my money?
    If your starting point is the $500 worth of Apple stock I'm not sure you will be able to find anyone that will help with that. They have minimums and like to point you in the direction of funds that help them get paid as well.

    Online is by far the easiest way to do that kind of thing.

Top