Strangest concert you've ever been to

  1. #1
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    51,211

    Strangest concert you've ever been to

    Concerts can be strange for a variety of reasons, whether you're a fish out of water, having been dragged to a show by your friends, a show you might not otherwise go to. Or, it's just odd because of the crowd, or the artists, the music, or because of what you see going on surrounding the show.

    Well, what is it for you, and why?

    For me, it's a pretty easy one: Insane Clown Posse.

    I saw them at the old Caddy's Garage before they tore the place down. Oddball white rappers decked out in clownish-looking Kabuki makeup, spraying 2-liters of Faygo on the crowd. Fans mixing it up in a mosh pit that looked every bit as aggressive as any punk show I've been to, and laughing at my buddy who was in there with 'em after he came back with most of the shredded clothing he had left soaked with soda-pop mud. Girls jumping up on stage to dance, only to have the artists come up behind them and lift the ladies' shirts up, to the delight of the crowd. Seeing some kid who couldn't have been more than 10-years-old in makeup soaking up all this funky weirdness along with his very square-looking mother of about 40.

    Runner-up: I went with a buddy to what used to be known as the Kool Jazz Festival. Not because it was a strange show itself, per se, but because of my buddy and I walking around downtown beforehand and I was accosted by a crackhead in the days before I knew how to deal with crackheads.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    36,824

    Black Oak Arkansas in front of an audience of about 200 people. The music was blaring, there were 50 guys decked out in biker gear, the chief security guy's name was Bear, and it was almost uncomfortable being in a big arena with so few people.

  3. #3
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    51,211

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    Black Oak Arkansas in front of an audience of about 200 people. The music was blaring, there were 50 guys decked out in biker gear, the chief security guy's name was Bear, and it was almost uncomfortable being in a big arena with so few people.
    I saw them at the Mountain Arts Center in Prestonsburg (in front of a few more people than that, however) a few years back. Jim Dandy is an interesting character, to say the least. This one is in my top 10, and perhaps top five.

  4. #4
    formerkywrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    26,189

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    Concerts can be strange for a variety of reasons, whether you're a fish out of water, having been dragged to a show by your friends, a show you might not otherwise go to. Or, it's just odd because of the crowd, or the artists, the music, or because of what you see going on surrounding the show.

    Well, what is it for you, and why?

    For me, it's a pretty easy one: Insane Clown Posse.

    I saw them at the old Caddy's Garage before they tore the place down. Oddball white rappers decked out in clownish-looking Kabuki makeup, spraying 2-liters of Faygo on the crowd. Fans mixing it up in a mosh pit that looked every bit as aggressive as any punk show I've been to, and laughing at my buddy who was in there with 'em after he came back with most of the shredded clothing he had left soaked with soda-pop mud. Girls jumping up on stage to dance, only to have the artists come up behind them and lift the ladies' shirts up, to the delight of the crowd. Seeing some kid who couldn't have been more than 10-years-old in makeup soaking up all this funky weirdness along with his very square-looking mother of about 40.

    Runner-up: I went with a buddy to what used to be known as the Kool Jazz Festival. Not because it was a strange show itself, per se, but because of my buddy and I walking around downtown beforehand and I was accosted by a crackhead in the days before I knew how to deal with crackheads.
    I cannot even imagine how you ended up at that concert.

  5. #5
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    51,211

    Quote Originally Posted by formerkywrestler View Post
    I cannot even imagine how you ended up at that concert.
    I was bribed by my co-workers at the time with promises of lots of laughs, free drinks and other amenities. They didn't disappoint.

  6. #6
    formerkywrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    26,189

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    I saw them at the Mountain Arts Center in Prestonsburg (in front of a few more people than that, however) a few years back. Jim Dandy is an interesting character, to say the least. This one is in my top 10, and perhaps top five.
    Goose on the Lake Festival this year was awesome...but the set that Black Oak Arkansas had was strange to say the least.

    I went to the Summer Sanitarium concert in 2000 at the Kentucky Speedway. Kid Rock, Metallica, Korn, System of a Down, and Powerman 5000...I was DEFINITELY a fish out of water. Actually in my high school days I got dragged to several "big name" rock concerts that you couldn't pay me to attend now.

    I did quite enjoy Korn though and the camping before the concert was a blast.

  7. #7
    MountainThunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    A proud Grandpa!!!
    Posts
    12,406

    In high school, I guess I was 15 or 16, I went to see Elvin Bishop at Brock Auditorium in Richmond. My buddy and I appeared to be the only people in the crowd under 35 years old.

  8. #8
    rockmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    52,939

    1a) GWAR
    1b) Nine Inch Nails with Marilyn Manson & Jim Rose Circus

    Don't ask.

  9. #9
    Hangman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Pikeville
    Posts
    15,620

    I haven't been, but I hear Tool is a trip to see live...

  10. #10
    Birdsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Vetustior Humo!
    Posts
    62,362

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom View Post
    1a) GWAR
    1b) Nine Inch Nails with Marilyn Manson & Jim Rose Circus

    Don't ask.
    Oh, but we so want to!

  11. #11
    MountainThunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    A proud Grandpa!!!
    Posts
    12,406

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom View Post
    1a) GWAR
    1b) Nine Inch Nails with Marilyn Manson & Jim Rose Circus

    Don't ask.
    Do tell!!!

  12. #12
    formerkywrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    26,189

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom View Post
    1a) GWAR
    1b) Nine Inch Nails with Marilyn Manson & Jim Rose Circus

    Don't ask.


    Picturing you at either one of those is quite comical!

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    tradin paint
    Posts
    2,959

    Saw Craig Morgan at Bristol Motor Speedway last Saturday. He was singing a son called Love Remembers. As he finished the first chorus he just quit singing and put his hand over his eyes. Some guy in the audience mooned him and had Love Remembers tatooed on his backend.

    He asked the guy if that was done before or after the song, the guy told him after. He was quiet a moment and said I wished I hadn't asked...

    Started singing the song again and forgot the words.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Posts
    486

    David Allen Coe at Foots in Brooksville KY. I'm not a fan to begin with and he was crazy drunk. Couldn't hardly sing.

  15. #15
    titletownclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Danville, KY
    Posts
    7,980

    Kid Rock/Korn/Metallica at Ky Speedway in 2001? 02?

    The day was incredibly hot and the crowd was HUGE.

    Reasons for being strange:

    1. Watched a guy collect money from people who wanted to see his girlfriend take off her shirt.

    2. People were urinating on top of the banked part of the racetrack so it would run down and soak the shorts/blankets/etc of the people sitting on the lower part of the banked track.

    3. Ambulances entered the mosh pit about every 15 minutes to take "the fallen" away.

    4. As we were leaving the concert and arrived at our car, a couple was having sex next to it. As a matter of fact, I had to ask the girl to remove her foot from the rear tire so I could open my door and get in. They never stopped even as we drove away and exposed them to the thousands of people leaving the concert.

    I swear the above is all true.

Top