Snakes

Page 2 of Originally Posted by 2 Humped Camel There are no poisonous snakes. Most people don't realize that there aren't any poisonous snakes in Kentucky.... 26 comments | 1297 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    16,371

    I'll take a black snake in my yard versus a mouse in my garage any day! I used to handle them on occasion but not so much anymore.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 09
    Posts
    4,060

    As long as they don't surprise me, I'm good with them.

    Lift up a log (even though knowing the chances of seeing one are high) and see one unexpectedly? Freak mode.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Location
    The "859"
    Posts
    3,921

    There are no poisonous snakes.

  4. #19
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    I don't mind any snakes, as long as I can see the business end. And typically I relocate them. Depending on their level of cooperation, they may be living or otherwise.

    I killed a black snake last week on #12 of Big Blue during a golf tournament. I actually caught it, but the level of anxiety amongst the masses, I decided to relocate him sans head. Took the 3 iron out of my son's bag, he can't hit it worth a crap anyway.

  5. #20
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,269

    I have a pretty hefty fear of snakes so I'm on high alert at all times in areas where you typically find them. One got into my house once when I was in my teens. I went and stayed at my grandmas that night.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Posts
    37,659

    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Humped Camel View Post
    There are no poisonous snakes.
    Most people don't realize that there aren't any poisonous snakes in Kentucky.

  7. #22
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    10,051

    Quote Originally Posted by Watusi View Post
    Most people don't realize that there aren't any poisonous snakes in Kentucky.
    There are however, venomous snakes.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    8,350

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    We used to catch them in the woods all the time as kids, and it's never bothered me to hold one or anything like that. ...I'm usually the guy who all of my friends and family turn to if they have a snake that needs to get fetched out of their garage or yard or something.
    I used to not mind holding ones out in the wild but ever since seeing one strike at a friend when he lost his grip, I am a bit more timid now.

    So if I find one in my garage, can I call you? LOL

  9. #24
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    21,231

    Most of you Bluegrass/Louisville area/Northern Ky folk don't have to worry about the rattlers and the coppers. Eastern Kentucky hills have areas that are infested with them. There's one section of Owsley County called Upper Buffalo that I wouldn't even think about hiking into the hills. The locals are constantly killing rattlesnakes in that area and putting pics on facebook or in the local weekly newspaper.

  10. #25
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    39,780

    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    I used to not mind holding ones out in the wild but ever since seeing one strike at a friend when he lost his grip, I am a bit more timid now.

    So if I find one in my garage, can I call you? LOL
    Ha...I suppose if it came down to it I'd give a hand

  11. #26
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    39,780

    Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    Most of you Bluegrass/Louisville area/Northern Ky folk don't have to worry about the rattlers and the coppers. Eastern Kentucky hills have areas that are infested with them. There's one section of Owsley County called Upper Buffalo that I wouldn't even think about hiking into the hills. The locals are constantly killing rattlesnakes in that area and putting pics on facebook or in the local weekly newspaper.
    Back in my residential construction days I was the superintendent in charge of a new subdivision being built in Cold Spring (Campbell County) called Granite Springs. I built the first 20-ish houses in the subdivision before moving on to a new job. Anyway, when they were developing the land for roads, they apparently uncovered a large den of copperheads and the "residents" were put out of their home. I had probably one a week that I'd end up having to catch/kill/shoe off for the first few months I was building there.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Location
    The "859"
    Posts
    3,921

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Back in my residential construction days I was the superintendent in charge of a new subdivision being built in Cold Spring (Campbell County) called Granite Springs. I built the first 20-ish houses in the subdivision before moving on to a new job. Anyway, when they were developing the land for roads, they apparently uncovered a large den of copperheads and the "residents" were put out of their home. I had probably one a week that I'd end up having to catch/kill/shoe off for the first few months I was building there.
    That is really eye opening to me. My family has property on Dry Creek that backs up to that subdivision. I spent my childhood playing in the creek and all over the woods. I've seen plenty of garter snakes and black snakes but never a copper head. Very glad about that fact!

Top