Shoulder surgery

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    24,746

    Shoulder surgery

    Just had the shoulder scoped this morning. Was supposed to just to clean up bone spurs, arthritis and shave down part of the bone. It's been separated for 18 years and time to get it worked on.

    Well today in the surgery, the doc discovered I also had a torn rotator cuff, not too surprised. My question is what should I expect? We didn't really game plan for the rotator cuff, so I don't know what to expect are far as a time frame. Going into the surgery my time away from work was a ball park guess of around 8 weeks, I'm thinking that's going to be much longer now????

    Anyone had the procedure done before? Any advice on what to expect?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    10,036

    Depends on what type of work you do. If it's physical work, I would think anywhere from 4-8 more weeks. Office job, maybe 2 more.

    The physical therapy is painful.

  3. #3
    NEERFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Location
    Contest Stalwart per mcpapa
    Posts
    35,209

    The therapy for my scope wasn't pleasant. Bob Mangine and his wife stretched me like an Auntie Anne's employee.

  4. #4
    NEERFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Location
    Contest Stalwart per mcpapa
    Posts
    35,209

    Looks like 6 weeks in a sling.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    24,746

    Quote Originally Posted by coldweatherfan View Post
    Depends on what type of work you do. If it's physical work, I would think anywhere from 4-8 more weeks. Office job, maybe 2 more.

    The physical therapy is painful.





    No desk duty for this guy. I pretty have to be back in fighting shape before the doc will release me.


    Quote Originally Posted by NEERFAN View Post
    Looks like 6 weeks in a sling.
    That's my concern and really taken back by the change in recovery. Going into it I was only supposed to sling it for a day or two and then start manipulating it. Frustrating to say the least but not like it's anyones fault. It is what it is.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    4,032

    Nothing more disappointing than having surgical expectations grow into something more. The good thing is you made the right decision in your medical team. They saw and knew the realities of what you needed to bring you back to 100%. Go luck with your rehab. You've got this sportsfan41. Down the road you are going to be very thankful.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    1,069

    Usually about 6 weeks, but can be faster, I had mine 2 years ago, it is better than ever. Will admit the first few times to therapy was a killer, but please do it and follow their advice, if they said do 20 reps I did 10 more. Absolutely had a terrific surgeon and very little pain, in fact I took three pain bills and that was to sleep, seems to be the biggest problem for awhile, getting comfortable with that sling on to sleep. But I am 100 per cent better, I coach high school softball and can honestly throw better and stronger than before surgery.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    24,746

    Quote Originally Posted by allsport71 View Post
    Usually about 6 weeks, but can be faster, I had mine 2 years ago, it is better than ever. Will admit the first few times to therapy was a killer, but please do it and follow their advice, if they said do 20 reps I did 10 more. Absolutely had a terrific surgeon and very little pain, in fact I took three pain bills and that was to sleep, seems to be the biggest problem for awhile, getting comfortable with that sling on to sleep. But I am 100 per cent better, I coach high school softball and can honestly throw better and stronger than before surgery.
    That's great. Thanks for the feedback guys. I know Physical Therapy can be rough but I'm somewhat familiar with the range of motion/muscle loss problems, having had 3 ACL reconstructions.

    This is just a different animal and not something I was really expecting.

  9. #9
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,006

    I've had surgery on both shoulders for rotator cuff tears, labrum tears, bone spur and partially torn biceps tendon. First off, I have had seven knee surgeries and ankle surgery, so I am not new to being worked on. The first shoulder surgery was 10 years ago. The first three days after the surgery were very painful, and I didn't have strong enough pain relief. I didn't sleep a wink and could only sit around. Finally, I was able to get better pain relief, but actually after the third day, it became manageable. The rehab went very well. I was only in the sling for 2 to 3 weeks and started rehab early. Within six months, the shoulder was 100% (although I damaged it again in a bike wreck last summer- as I sit with an ice pack). The second shoulder was repaired in 2016. Originally, it was thought I only had the bone spur as the shoulder was not nearly as painful pre-surgery as the other had been. However, in surgery they found the rotator cuff tears along with labrum and biceps tendon..who knew? Maybe because I was eight years older, or there were more problems, this shoulder took probably a year to get right, but it is now at or near 100%. I did demand better pain relief for post surgery and got it. However, after the 2nd day, I didn't really want it.

    In both cases, I missed only three days of work, however, I had an office job.

    I do the band therapy and other exercises religiously. I lift weights, but I am careful on the bench press and overhead presses and work more reps. than heavy lifting. I stretch, but it is never enough, and I need to do more.

    I hope this is helpful, and reach out if I can share anything else that helps.

    I wish you all the best.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    24,746

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    I've had surgery on both shoulders for rotator cuff tears, labrum tears, bone spur and partially torn biceps tendon. First off, I have had seven knee surgeries and ankle surgery, so I am not new to being worked on. The first shoulder surgery was 10 years ago. The first three days after the surgery were very painful, and I didn't have strong enough pain relief. I didn't sleep a wink and could only sit around. Finally, I was able to get better pain relief, but actually after the third day, it became manageable. The rehab went very well. I was only in the sling for 2 to 3 weeks and started rehab early. Within six months, the shoulder was 100% (although I damaged it again in a bike wreck last summer- as I sit with an ice pack). The second shoulder was repaired in 2016. Originally, it was thought I only had the bone spur as the shoulder was not nearly as painful pre-surgery as the other had been. However, in surgery they found the rotator cuff tears along with labrum and biceps tendon..who knew? Maybe because I was eight years older, or there were more problems, this shoulder took probably a year to get right, but it is now at or near 100%. I did demand better pain relief for post surgery and got it. However, after the 2nd day, I didn't really want it.

    In both cases, I missed only three days of work, however, I had an office job.

    I do the band therapy and other exercises religiously. I lift weights, but I am careful on the bench press and overhead presses and work more reps. than heavy lifting. I stretch, but it is never enough, and I need to do more.

    I hope this is helpful, and reach out if I can share anything else that helps.

    I wish you all the best.
    Thanks Doomer. Surgery was a week ago(last Thursday) and it's coming along. Doc essentially said on my follow up that I could hold small items like bottle's, plates etc but not to push it. That kind of surprised me but he also knows who he's dealing with, I've had 5 knee surgeries as well.

    Doc said the short side for recovery would be around 3 months so that's what I'm going to shoot for. My range of motion is already ahead of schedule but I know I don't want to over do it. This shoulder had been separated for over 18 years so all of this was a long time coming.

    Sadly, while I still had my nerve block after surgery, it made me realize just how bad my right shoulder is hurting as well. Hoping it's just do to inactivity and sitting around more than I normally do.

  11. #11
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    147,567

    I am glad you are on the road to recovery.

    And it is hard to find many older, active males that don't have shoulder issues.

Top