Question About Motorcycles and Red Lights

  1. #1
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    30,060

    Question About Motorcycles and Red Lights

    Is it legal for a motorcycle to drive between car lanes at red lights to get past cars in Kentucky? I've had this happen several times recently while sitting at a light and was curious if anyone knows.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    30,060

    Anyone? @theguru? @halfback20? @00Rocket28?

  3. #3
    CollegefootballGuy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 18
    Posts
    1,542

    It is against the law. Motorcycle riders only do it when the police are not around.

  4. #4
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    53,975

    Absolutely not legal in the same way that you driving in the break-down lane to get around stopped traffic is illegal.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,079

    The other day I was in stop and go traffic on Spaghetti Junction when’s motorcycle came roaring through the lanes of cars merging all together. I have no idea where he eventually went, but I was trying to get over into the right lane and almost hit him. Made me so mad!

  6. #6
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,812

    The only place I have seen it remotely legal is in CA on the highway. Motorcycles are allowed to pass you in stopped traffic. First time there scared me to death as I was stopped and motorcycle goes down the middle at about 50 mph. Was not expecting that and seems really dangerous.

  7. #7
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    53,975

    Quote Originally Posted by littleluck55 View Post
    The only place I have seen it remotely legal is in CA on the highway. Motorcycles are allowed to pass you in stopped traffic. First time there scared me to death as I was stopped and motorcycle goes down the middle at about 50 mph. Was not expecting that and seems really dangerous.
    Yeah. Pretty easy to take a biker out in that scenario just by randomly opening your car door to figure out why traffic is stopped.

  8. #8
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    52,014

    Often times seems like guys on motorcycles don't believe that traffic laws apply to them.

  9. #9
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    63,532

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom View Post
    The other day I was in stop and go traffic on Spaghetti Junction when’s motorcycle came roaring through the lanes of cars merging all together. I have no idea where he eventually went, but I was trying to get over into the right lane and almost hit him. Made me so mad!
    When idiots do stuff that is clearly illegal, I'm of the belief that it serves them right when (not if) they get hit. Probably would've taught him a valuable lesson.

  10. #10
    BirdsJustWin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 10
    Location
    Hopefull...
    Posts
    262

    Name:  Lane-splitting-states.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  149.8 KB

  11. #11
    jvdfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    By the Lake
    Posts
    8,812

    The only place I ever observed this was in Japan. I know a bunch of riders and I've never seen or heard of this happening. All of the ones I know obey all the rules and their only fear is terrible drivers not seeing them and the ones who text and drive. Idiots!

  12. #12
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    30,060

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdsJustWin View Post
    Name:  Lane-splitting-states.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  149.8 KB
    This conflicts with some are saying about it being illegal in Ky. I'd still like to hear from @capt278, @theguru, @halfback20, and @00Rocket28.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 15
    Posts
    615

    It would fall under reckless driving, wanton endangerment, failing to control, or other laws that also apply to cars. Don't have to specify it for bikes as they have to follow same rules as cars.

  14. #14
    00Rocket28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Posts
    22,890

    Quote Originally Posted by #99 View Post
    It would fall under reckless driving, wanton endangerment, failing to control, or other laws that also apply to cars. Don't have to specify it for bikes as they have to follow same rules as cars.
    Reckless-Possibly
    Wanton Endangerment-No, need an actual victim
    Failing to Control-No such charge exists that Im aware of

    Others possibilities not listed,Careless, Improper passing,Disregard/Fail Yielding ROW,Improper use of left lane/overtaking vehicle.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 15
    Posts
    615

    I meant to say could not should. I didn't see I put the wrong word there.
    Wanton Endangerment Law and Legal Definition. ... (1) A person is guilty of wanton endangerment in the first degree when, under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life, he wantonly engages in conduct which creates a substantial danger of death or serious physical injury to another person.
    Wanton Endangerment Law and Legal Definition | USLegal, Inc.
    I know of two people personally who were charged with and arrested for wanton endangerment for passing cars in between them and passing on the emergency lane. One was in a car the other was on a motorcycle. Both paid hefty fines and served some days in jail.

Top