Poll About Vaccines

View Poll Results: Click All That Apply To You

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • I get ALL vaccines for myself and my children.

    28 75.68%
  • I get SOME vaccines for myself or my children.

    4 10.81%
  • I get NO vaccines myself or my children.

    4 10.81%
  • I have concerns about vaccines but get them anyway.

    6 16.22%
  • I do not have concerns about vaccines.

    11 29.73%
  • I think once infections are eradicated, then vaccines are no longer needed for those infections.

    0 0%
  • I think vaccines can infect you with the disease they are trying to prevent.

    1 2.70%
  • I think vaccines DO NOT have links to autism.

    13 35.14%
  • I think vaccines MAY have links to autism.

    3 8.11%
  • I think vaccines DO have links to autism.

    2 5.41%
  • I think too many vaccines given at once are bad for the immune system.

    3 8.11%
  • I think combination vaccines are bad for the immune system.

    2 5.41%
  • I think infant immune systems canít handle so many vaccines.

    3 8.11%
  • I think mercury compounds (thimerosal) in vaccines may be dangerous.

    3 8.11%
  • I think formaldehyde in vaccines may be dangerous.

    4 10.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
  1. #1
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    29,358

    Poll About Vaccines

    Voting in the poll is anonymous. No one will be able to see how you voted.

    Let's hear your thoughts.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Someone you know writing a paper?

  3. #3
    rockmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    54,707

    CWB, go to SurveyMonkey and create your survey and tweet it and put it on Facebook for even more results.

  4. #4
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    29,358

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    Someone you know writing a paper?
    Haha, no. One of my coworkers was complaining at work this morning about 'having to take his daughter to get her flu shot because she has diabetes'. I was asking what his issue was with the flu vaccine, and it started about a 45 minute discussion about vaccines between seven different folks in the office. I was VERY surprised that I was one of three folks total in the conversation who didn't have serious issues with the standard vaccination protocol in the US.

  5. #5
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    60,416

    I think people who have an issue with vaccines, especially for children, are fruit loops.

  6. #6
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Historically, I'd challenge those folks to look at the results. But paranoia abounds.

  7. #7
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    19,034

    I don't have serious issues either although I don't do the flu and don't get my child the flu vaccine.

  8. #8
    Beechwoodfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Posts
    5,424

    I am a nurse and I can tell you that doctors and nurses have varying opinions about this. I had my kids fully immunized. I have had my shingles vaccine and get the flu vaccine which is required yearly for work. Never had any problems with them or with myself. I know several co workers who swear the flu vaccine makes them sick every year.

    The autism issue is interesting. I cannot remember a single person with autism when I was young...although autistic kids could have been put in a different classification. There seems to be so many people with it now. There has to be some causative factor.

    I do not remember anyone with peanut allergies which is fairly common and deadly. Asthma was pretty rare but is now also common.

    Makes you wonder what is going on with the immune systems of today's youth.

    Regardless, even I am not old enough to remember the tragic disabilities and even deaths caused by smallpox, polio, German measeal and even mumps. So I think the benefits far outweigh the risks.

  9. #9
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    29,358

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    I don't have serious issues either although I don't do the flu and don't get my child the flu vaccine.
    Thanks for the response, woodsy.

    Can I ask, is there any particular reason you opt against the flu vaccine? (I totally get it if you just want to keep the answer to yourself.)

  10. #10
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    29,358

    Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoodfan View Post
    Regardless, even I am not old enough to remember the tragic disabilities and even deaths caused by smallpox, polio, German measeal and even mumps. So I think the benefits far outweigh the risks.
    Pretty early on in the anti-vaccine movement I remember being at my parents' house when some kind of news story popped up on the TV about it. Afterwards my dad said, "If all the parents of kids these days had grown up in the era when everyone had a couple of friends or relatives who were lifelong cripples after having polio as a kid, they'd give their kids every damn vaccine out there."

    It's interesting to think about what kind of impact the first world eradication of several diseases has played in the movement for opting out of vaccines.

  11. #11
    TylerDurden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 15
    Location
    537 Paper Street
    Posts
    523

    Didn't they prove that the doctor who published the study results on autism being related to vaccines had completely fabricated his data?

  12. #12
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoodfan View Post
    I am a nurse and I can tell you that doctors and nurses have varying opinions about this. I had my kids fully immunized. I have had my shingles vaccine and get the flu vaccine which is required yearly for work. Never had any problems with them or with myself. I know several co workers who swear the flu vaccine makes them sick every year.

    The autism issue is interesting. I cannot remember a single person with autism when I was young...although autistic kids could have been put in a different classification. There seems to be so many people with it now. There has to be some causative factor.

    I do not remember anyone with peanut allergies which is fairly common and deadly. Asthma was pretty rare but is now also common.

    Makes you wonder what is going on with the immune systems of today's youth.

    Regardless, even I am not old enough to remember the tragic disabilities and even deaths caused by smallpox, polio, German measeal and even mumps. So I think the benefits far outweigh the risks.
    Great post

  13. #13
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    19,034

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Thanks for the response, woodsy.

    Can I ask, is there any particular reason you opt against the flu vaccine? (I totally get it if you just want to keep the answer to yourself.)
    Don't think it's necessary and wonder how much of it is a money grab. What was the last new strain a few years ago that was going to kill everyone? Wonder how much money was made off that vaccine? Fact is healthy people on 1st world countries just don't die from things like the flu. I think in the long run the vaccines weaken our bodies. Things like the small pox or polio that had high mortality rates and would even today, sure. But not for what amounts to a really bad cold.

  14. #14
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    45,762

    I've never gotten a flu shot and probably never will.

  15. #15
    TylerDurden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 15
    Location
    537 Paper Street
    Posts
    523

    I get the flu vaccine for other people as much as I get it for myself. I think people forget or maybe ignore the fact that these diseases and infections are communicable. If I don’t get infected with the influenza virus, then the people around me are less likely to get the influenza virus. The CDC found that there was an average of 200,000 hospitalizations annually because of the flu.

    If I do get the flu, I may be able to get through it and bounce back without too much issue, but the same can’t necessarily be said for my elderly neighbors with their weaker immune systems, or my friend’s infant daughter, or my diabetic cousin. The flu isn’t such a big deal to me, but it can definitely be to them. Maybe I wouldn’t even be the person to give them the flu, but maybe the person I give it to is the person who gives it to the person who gives it to them. I get the flu shot to minimize that virus.

Top