Paying For College: How do folks do it these days?

Page 8 of In regard to kids paying for college...on a national average, tuition rates have inflated much faster than the rest of the market out there. Translatio... 133 comments | 3763 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #106

    Join Date
    Dec 15
    Posts
    89

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Do other schools have an incentive program for legacies?
    She implied they did. UK gives out of state legacies whose parents are life members of the Alumni association discounted tuition so that if the students grades are good enough drops it to instate tuition before any scholarships. TMC gives 500-1000 off tuition. I don't remember the specifics of other schools. My general impression is that UK is more worried about recruiting outside the state and even country to give more impressive diversity stats and are starting to realize they are losing alot of the top in state kids. At my daughter's high school's awards night we had kids turning down MIT and Harvard for UL because of full rides. We had Governor's scholars going to NKU and UL on full rides. Only one kid accepted a scholarship to UK. They are way too stingy I guess because students will come regardless of price
    Advertisement

  2. #107
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    10,077

    Quote Originally Posted by rjal View Post
    She implied they did. UK gives out of state legacies whose parents are life members of the Alumni association discounted tuition so that if the students grades are good enough drops it to instate tuition before any scholarships. TMC gives 500-1000 off tuition. I don't remember the specifics of other schools. My general impression is that UK is more worried about recruiting outside the state and even country to give more impressive diversity stats and are starting to realize they are losing alot of the top in state kids. At my daughter's high school's awards night we had kids turning down MIT and Harvard for UL because of full rides. We had Governor's scholars going to NKU and UL on full rides. Only one kid accepted a scholarship to UK. They are way too stingy I guess because students will come regardless of price
    Well the one thing UK has done that really ticked me off is they raised the requirement to get the GSP scholarship from 28 to 31. So I’m glad I went to school there when I did because I only got a 30. I think that could play a part in losing some of the top talent as well. But I think you’re right, all things equal UK would rather have the out of state student than the in state one. UL is a really good school as well though especially if you want to go into engineering and can get into the speed school which if someone can get into MIT I’m sure they got into the speed school. I don’t think there is a doubt that UL and the directional schools are capitalizing on UK not showing enough love to in state students.

  3. #108
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    33,755

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Other may disagree but I don’t think all degrees are created equal. With regards to Centre, it is the outlier IMO when it comes to liberal arts type school. I would have gone to Centre in a heartbeat if I didn’t get my GSP scholarship from UK. It’s a fantastic institution.
    Absolutely correct. With my Bellarmine vs. NKU example, I've no doubt that there are certain degrees that may hold more weight if they were conferred from Bellarmine than if they were from NKU, but I'd say there are definitely others that don't - like a BSN, for example.

  4. #109

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,009

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    I don't disagree with the premise you're getting at. Is there really an advantage to going and getting a nursing degree from Bellarmine University at $41,800 annually when you can get the same degree at NKU for $9,360? Sure, Bellarmine is a great college, but will you see much (if any) difference in pay if you apply for a nursing position with a BSN from Bellarmine versus a BSN from NKU? Doubtful.

    I just think choosing Centre as the school to make an example of isn't necessarily the best choice for your argument
    That's a fair point. And one that definitely crossed my mind. However, in all my dealings with Bellarmine, I don't think anyone is paying full price to go. It's not easy to get in, and if you've done your job in high school, the scholarships they award, get the price down to what you would pay at most other schools, like UK, UL, EKU etc. And my son has already been exposed to a wide network of grads in high places before even starting there. The cost vs value argument can be argued almost anywhere. But there are lots of systems and programs in place at Bellarmine that will be very helpful upon graduation. And at least in our case, the final cost of Bellarmine is actually going to be cheaper for my son than going to NKU. I know this sounds like a Bellarmine ad, but what it comes down to, is you really have to do your homework and put a lot of thought into college choice. But I wouldn't dismiss any college based simply on the window sticker price.

  5. #110
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    24,524

    Poor NKU....we get no respect lol.

    No Knowledge University

  6. #111

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,009

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    Poor NKU....we get no respect lol.

    No Knowledge University
    I've seen plenty of successful folks come from NKU. I think it's a great choice for many and am thankful that option is available and so accessible for this area.

  7. #112
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    10,077

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    I've seen plenty of successful folks come from NKU. I think it's a great choice for many and am thankful that option is available and so accessible for this area.
    I agree. It really is a great option for a large percentage of students in NKY. I know for example in Grant County they have an NKU center where you can stay at home and work while also completing most of you first 2 years of college in Williamstown. This is a fantastic option to help save cost and then when you need to go to the main campus a lot of classes can be taken M/W or T/Th so you theoretically only be on campus two days a week. In NKY we really are lucky to have a school like NKU in our area that is so open to commuters and have classes that can be taken off campus.

  8. #113
    TAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    16,281

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    National average is 10 years.
    I'm sure your lovely lady is above average!!

  9. #114
    OlDog75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Sittin' in the stands above the 50 yard line.
    Posts
    9,573

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelPops View Post
    Friend daughter 4.3 GPA / 33 ACT
    $1500 from UK
    Quote Originally Posted by littleluck55 View Post
    $1500?
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelPops View Post
    Correct. Applied for all of the top scholarships.
    Yup, pretty much was this way when my son went to UK. Couldn't believe that we could not get more money.

  10. #115
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    62,737

    Quote Originally Posted by OlDog75 View Post
    Yup, pretty much was this way when my son went to UK. Couldn't believe that we could not get more money.
    Youngest brother got a 35 on his ACT and was valedictorian in HS. Think he got maybe $2K a year from UK. Still ended up going there, but it's downright embarrassing how little that school gives out in scholarship money.

  11. #116
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    24,524

    I was being facetius @UKMustangFan as I am an NKU grad and used to hear that all the time.

  12. #117
    OlDog75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Sittin' in the stands above the 50 yard line.
    Posts
    9,573

    delete

  13. #118
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    10,077

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Youngest brother got a 35 on his ACT and was valedictorian in HS. Think he got maybe $2K a year from UK. Still ended up going there, but it's downright embarrassing how little that school gives out in scholarship money.
    I would have told UK to shove it. I don’t care how much I wanted to go there that’s just insane.

  14. #119
    OlDog75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Sittin' in the stands above the 50 yard line.
    Posts
    9,573

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Youngest brother got a 35 on his ACT and was valedictorian in HS. Think he got maybe $2K a year from UK. Still ended up going there, but it's downright embarrassing how little that school gives out in scholarship money.
    Yes that is. My daughter got more money from UofL but of course my son did not want to go there. UK was his dream. It was a struggle for us but both got their degrees in 4 years.

  15. #120
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    45,453

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Well the one thing UK has done that really ticked me off is they raised the requirement to get the GSP scholarship from 28 to 31. So I’m glad I went to school there when I did because I only got a 30. I think that could play a part in losing some of the top talent as well. But I think you’re right, all things equal UK would rather have the out of state student than the in state one. UL is a really good school as well though especially if you want to go into engineering and can get into the speed school which if someone can get into MIT I’m sure they got into the speed school. I don’t think there is a doubt that UL and the directional schools are capitalizing on UK not showing enough love to in state students.
    Isn't the UK GSP Scholarship for Tuition Only or does it pay more? I think some of the state schools will give more than just tuition with GSP, but I'm not sure.

Top