Millennials have ruined........

Page 14 of So another thread talked about millennials ruining the taxi business. What else has become a dying breed due to the millennials? Napkins for one. They ... 299 comments | 13910 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #196
    BirdBrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Posts
    5,393

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Axelrod View Post
    Also, although I do not go to great clips I have been before. When you walk in and haven't checked in, if there are no names on the screen when you check in you are next in line regardless. If there are names on the screen before you it either means somebody else is in the lobby waiting or has checked in online. I don't know their exact rules of somebody checking in and not showing up but nobody ever jumps ahead of you in line if your name is next.
    If they call your name, and you are not in the waiting area, next up is next up....unless you are specific about who cuts your hair (which I am) in which case you have to determine how long your preferred stylist is going to take with the person in the chair.....

    Getting a hair cut is one of the most stressful activities I have every 2.5 weeks.....
    Advertisement

  2. #197
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,521

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    You kind of missed my point, but I'll own it for clarity sake....

    Prior to me being forced into using the app, I would do exactly what @Mustang did...drive up, walk in, check in, sit down and wait my "turn"....but then the app happened, and I wasn't a part of the ability to be able to make my "turn" happen sooner....

    The real point of my post was that I actually loaded an app and use it regularly...but only for Great Clips....and only because places like Great Clips have ruined barber shops...which is where all the good stories and community engagement use to happen...

    Summary: I gave up and gave in...now I get a true sense of entitlement when I am already checked in before I walk in...
    I got your point but just want to clarify that no one is getting bumped or going to the front of the line. Checking in doesn't make your turn happen any sooner than if you were at the shop checking in. If the wait is an hour you can't magically make your wait only 5 mins because you checked in online.

  3. #198
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    55,190

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    You do understand that if you already have your name in line, someone that checks in or does call ahead after you doesn't jump in front of you. They are given a time based on wait times when they check in.
    He clearly doesn’t understand this point.

  4. #199
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    54,116

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    The topic is about what Millennials have ruined.

    In my opinion the check-in online is a prime example.

    Doctors appointments, making reservations at restaurants which take them, and walking in to eat at a chain restauuant or get your hair cut are two entirely different situations. UNTIL everyone is required to check in on-line and that is the only option, I consider it discourteous for someone to consider their time more valuable than mine. The reasoning of those that advocate this is present day young folks thinking. I'm there in their building, waiting to be seated, I don't want to be shuffled farther back because someone else has hit a key on his/her smartphone while still at home and thinks it's perfectly OK, to show up, walk-in and be seated in front of those folks who are already in the building. YES, I very much consider that inconsiderate, and I will never resort to doing it, and if I would, I would feel compelled to apologize to those whom I am displacing.

    Old school mentality??? Obviously
    Living in the past???? Absolutely.
    Backwards??? Probably.
    Resistant to change??? No Doubt, IF it benefits one class and not for the common good - you betcha.
    BUT this is what I hate about Millennials.

    There is always going to be a line. You are not making that line any shorter.
    If you can't get there and wait your turn you are very much making the statement that "I can tweak the system, and take advantage of you, because I am smarter than you, or more tech-savvy."

    Another case of just because its out there, and it makes YOUR life more convenient, doesn't make it right.
    I'd argue that they aren't the ones that think your time is less valuable. I'd say you do.

  5. #200
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,290

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    I'd argue that they aren't the ones that think your time is less valuable. I'd say you do.


    If you really value your time, you're going to take advantage of whatever makes the best use of your time.

  6. #201
    BirdBrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Posts
    5,393

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    I got your point but just want to clarify that no one is getting bumped or going to the front of the line. Checking in doesn't make your turn happen any sooner than if you were at the shop checking in. If the wait is an hour you can't magically make your wait only 5 mins because you checked in online.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    He clearly doesn’t understand this point.
    I "get" the entire thread....my posts are tongue in cheek (which is an old saying for some of the younger crowd that assists in pointing out irony) about how each generation perceives change differently, either good or bad and frequently depending on your cultural perspective. The problem is that it's not black and white most of the time...some good, some not so good....

    As long as I get the person I want to cut my hair, I don't care how I check in...I often let people go ahead of me to get the stylist I want, because some of them just can't cut hair at all....

    Letting people go ahead of you, when you are checked in really screws up the group milieu for those that are waiting patiently....

  7. #202
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    54,116

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I had to adjust to the Great Clips check in app....because my rage wouldn't allow me to be civil when I walked in and waited, then got bumped....

    I actually use it now, but only to prove I can load and use an app on my smart phone to my millennial kids.....
    It's a great resource, especially if you live around Cold Spring/Highland Heights area and have three that are pretty close. Can see which one has the longest wait time.

  8. #203
    BirdBrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Posts
    5,393

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    It's a great resource, especially if you live around Cold Spring/Highland Heights area and have three that are pretty close. Can see which one has the longest wait time.
    ....and I refuse to check in when the wait is more than 12 minutes, because that typically means there are at least 3 - 4 waiting.

    Irrespective of app check in, I refuse to wait more than about 5 minutes to get a haircut....there's a Home Depot right down the way that I can actively browse until the crowd clears out

  9. #204

    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Location
    Birds Nest
    Posts
    1,601

    I love the app personally. I have a 45 minute to hour drive home from work and I check in about halfway home and they are ready for me when I pull up. The only thing I don't like about Great Clips is you really don't know what kind of haircut your going to walk out of there with. Sometimes its perfect other times its like what just happened. I lost the buzzcut after highschool otherwise I would be cutting at home like most of you. Actually, I am heading on vacation tomorrow so I need to check in today on my way home.

  10. #205
    Hangman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Pikeville
    Posts
    16,065

    My hair has stayed the same my entire life because I don't want to risk anyone noticing me. I combed it one day and got a compliment. I can't be having that.

  11. #206
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    14,065

    Name:  B97E8842-3C26-435C-B80A-C9497A89C9D6.jpeg
Views: 94
Size:  56.9 KB

  12. #207
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    14,065

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Avocado toast?
    You’ve never been exposed to the wonderful world of avocado toast?

  13. #208

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,186

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    You’ve never been exposed to the wonderful world of avocado toast?
    Never heard of it till this thread.

  14. #209
    P_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 18
    Location
    The Backcourt
    Posts
    202

    Millennials killed the atmosphere at high school sporting events.

  15. #210
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    55,190

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    Classic present day thinking!!!!
    Thanks for making my case for me.
    What case did I make other than how you think the process works is wrong?

Top