Louisville President, Staff Dress as Mexicans Today

Page 2 of Originally Posted by Getslow I love going to the Oktoberfest at St. Joes here in Louisville. The pastor has the full getup, hat and all. His name is Fr... 101 comments | 3437 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    I've a seat by the fire, so I shan't move.
    Posts
    21,848

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    Louisville has issued an apology. What kind of leadership do they have at Louisville?
    Where have you been? Anyone who's been paying attention to Ramsey at all knows he's a terrible university president.

    Thank goodness this mildly offensive costume photo was released so everyone could finally join in.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    71,102

    This is the equivalent to blackface I guess?

  3. #18
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    I've a seat by the fire, so I shan't move.
    Posts
    21,848

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    This is the equivalent to blackface I guess?
    I truthfully wouldn't say so. This wasn't a good idea (and dressing up as a racial stereotype never really is), but this kind of stuff doesn't carry the historical legacy that blackface does on this country. I really believe blackface is a special kind of wrong that simply should never, ever be done.

  4. #19
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    51,613

  5. #20
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    51,613

    Delete

  6. #21
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Regardless of color, all soldiers who fall come back wearing red, white, and blue.
    Posts
    20,446

    It's never a bright idea to use someone's culture as your costume.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    This is the equivalent to blackface I guess?
    No. Blackface has a particular history to it that isn't nearly the same as this.

  8. #23
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    71,102

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    No. Blackface has a particular history to it that isn't nearly the same as this.
    When he says they were dressing up as immigrants I think that's a pretty bad look.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    As someone said there's no good that comes out of "dressing up" as someone else's race/culture.

  10. #25
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    7,889

    Should have dressed up as pimps and prostitutes. Probably wouldn't have offended anyone and would have been a great laugh.

  11. #26
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    43,710

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    Where have you been? Anyone who's been paying attention to Ramsey at all knows he's a terrible university president.

    Thank goodness this mildly offensive costume photo was released so everyone could finally join in.
    I'll give you credit, you've been beating the "Ramsey Sucks" drum for a while.

  12. #27
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    30,628

    Being almost completely from German blood...I guess I should get all up in arms when folks start donning lederhosen, dirndls, and Tyrolean hats during Oktoberfest.

  13. #28
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    I've a seat by the fire, so I shan't move.
    Posts
    21,848

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Being almost completely from German blood...I guess I should get all up in arms when folks start donning lederhosen, dirndls, and Tyrolean hats during Oktoberfest.
    I love going to the Oktoberfest at St. Joes here in Louisville. The pastor has the full getup, hat and all. His name is Fr. David Sanchez and is decidedly... not German.

  14. #29
    LIPTON BASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    9,748

    It wasn't a smart move because everyone gets upset about everything now.

    I'm not offended. I'm also not Mexican. I just don't get why people get upset over costumes.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    Quote Originally Posted by LIPTON BASH View Post
    It wasn't a smart move because everyone gets upset about everything now.

    I'm not offended. I'm also not Mexican. I just don't get why people get upset over costumes.
    I get the blackface issue. I'm struggling with this one though. Is the mustache?

Top