Haircut: Appointment or Walk-in?

Page 2 of For those of you that go to a barber for a haircut, do you just walk-in any time or have to schedule an appointment?... 41 comments | 1881 Views | Go to page 1 →

View Poll Results: At my barber...

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • I just walk in and get a haircut.

    12 54.55%
  • I need an appointment.

    10 45.45%
  1. #16
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    In Lothlorien, where the trees bore flowers of gold and no evil thing ever dared come.
    Posts
    22,994

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Nah just in general. Like I could never just go to a random shop and wait for the next available barber.
    Same woman in Louisville cut my hair for YEARS. Been in Cincinnati less than a year and I CAN NOT find anyone that can get it right. Only one who was close quit and became a bartender.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    Bobby Axelrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 17
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    247

    Quote Originally Posted by tcjkbt View Post
    A barber told me once that the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is three days. A haircut is not a high priority in my life. I show up unannounced on Saturday mornings. They have just raised their price to $10. You can get cuts cheaper at the barber college----or at least you used to able to.
    To each his own but imo that is just not true. Depending on type of haircut obviously, there is a huge difference between going to a good barber and a Great Clips type place.

  3. #18
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    60,991

    Quote Originally Posted by tcjkbt View Post
    A barber told me once that the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is three days. A haircut is not a high priority in my life. I show up unannounced on Saturday mornings. They have just raised their price to $10. You can get cuts cheaper at the barber college----or at least you used to able to.
    Walk-in. If there's a long wait, I walk in the next day. It's not like my work and social calendars are bursting at the seams.

    And back in the day, the town in Maryland that I lived in was the home of the state barber college. Haircuts were three bucks. But this was over 40 years ago.

  4. #19
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,736

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Axelrod View Post
    To each his own but imo that is just not true. Depending on type of haircut obviously, there is a huge difference between going to a good barber and a Great Clips type place.
    Without question. People who think that way have never had a GOOD barber, or just don't really care how their hair looks. If you get a simple even cut all around, I can see where the barber wouldn't matter. Anything outside of that, it definitely does. Great Clips, Sams, Sports Clips etc. are all "value" cuts, and I wouldn't expect any exceptional cutting to be going on there.

  5. #20
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,736

    I pay $50 for my cuts, usually about once a month. Takes 1.5-2 hours depending on how much he and I talk. That includes the hair cut, wash, shaving cream with hot towel, and straight razor on hair line(s) and face, beard trim/cut. Well worth it, IMO, as my guy is by far the best barber I've ever had. This is the second shop he's been in since I've known him, he owns this one. I'll follow him wherever he goes until he stops cutting hair.

  6. #21
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    925

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    I pay $50 for my cuts, usually about once a month. Takes 1.5-2 hours depending on how much he and I talk. That includes the hair cut, wash, shaving cream with hot towel, and straight razor on hair line(s) and face, beard trim/cut. Well worth it, IMO, as my guy is by far the best barber I've ever had. This is the second shop he's been in since I've known him, he owns this one. I'll follow him wherever he goes until he stops cutting hair.
    #Bromance

  7. #22
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,736

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    Without a doubt. Can't be out here in these streets looking dusty.

  8. #23
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    149,648

    Me three!

    And on the topic of hair, this is me bragging but it is germane to this discussion, I get compliments all the time on my hair.

    My point is, people notice and if you are trying to be the best version of yourself make sure your "barber game" is up to par.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,815

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Me three!

    And on the topic of hair, this is me bragging but it is germane to this discussion, I get compliments all the time on my hair.

    My point is, people notice and if you are trying to be the best version of yourself make sure your "barber game" is up to par.
    People with hair problems.

  10. #25
    nkypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Taylor Mill, KY
    Posts
    7,539

    Every 5 weeks (on a Wednesday) like clockwork. When I pay, she automatically sets me up for the next one.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Feb 09
    Posts
    1,025

    Local barber that works 6-6, off wed. and sunday. Walk ins only. He still does straight razor on hair line, sideburns, and around ears, $10. I get mine cut when I know I'm going straight home to shower. Loose hair drives me nuts.

  12. #27
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,736

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Me three!

    And on the topic of hair, this is me bragging but it is germane to this discussion, I get compliments all the time on my hair.

    My point is, people notice and if you are trying to be the best version of yourself make sure your "barber game" is up to par.
    Yep. People compliment me all the time, and ask who my barber is. I don't tell them because he's already too busy.

  13. #28
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    149,648

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Yep. People compliment me all the time, and ask who my barber is. I don't tell them because he's already too busy.
    Exactly, hair is a consistent topic of discussion with me almost always started by someone else.

  14. #29
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,852

    I use to be always a walk-in up until a few years ago when my boy came along and needed haircuts as well.

  15. #30
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    13,626

    With no experience I've been cutting my own hair for the last two years and even get compliments. Before that I used to walk-in at that same place @OlDog75 goes with no appointment.

Top