Grilling and smoking thread

Page 22 of Originally Posted by malachicrunch Anyone ever try to grill a pizza? I did it last summer. It's tricky because you'll burn the crust before the top get... 332 comments | 31582 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #316

    Join Date
    Sep 17
    Location
    Independence, KY
    Posts
    173

    Quote Originally Posted by NEERFAN View Post
    I gave in and purchased the "36 Blackstone. They were $199 on Amazon yesterday, let's just say I'm excited to use it.
    Field and stream also have them on sale right now for $199....go grab one! They are normally $249 at wallyworld vs $299 at f&s. Walmart also has great prices on the weather cover, the cooking utensils kit, and the basting lid. You'll want all three to be the griddlemaster.
    Advertisement

  2. #317
    NEERFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Location
    Contest Stalwart per mcpapa
    Posts
    34,457

    Quote Originally Posted by ukcatfan17 View Post
    Field and stream also have them on sale right now for $199....go grab one! They are normally $249 at wallyworld vs $299 at f&s. Walmart also has great prices on the weather cover, the cooking utensils kit, and the basting lid. You'll want all three to be the griddlemaster.
    Prime delivery tomorrow but I can't use it until I move into my house in two weeks. I think I'll cook up some pork fried rice with shrimp. I

  3. #318
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    8,434

    I've been busy with work lately so I haven't grilled much other than hamburgers and such lately. Decided I'm going to do a pork shoulder tomorrow so went to pick it up as well as some lump charcoal and ended up grabbing some corn, shrimp and a honey sriracha marinated pork loin as well to cook tonight.

    Tossed the pork loin and corn on the grill and made shrimp scampi on the stovetop. The whole meal only took about an hour to make including warming up the grill. Simple, cheap meal that turned out excellent, $15 worth of food fed four of us.

    For what it's worth Walmart has 30lb bags of Western branded lump charcoal for $10 and I've heard really good things about it on some grilling forums. Typically I buy Royal Oak lump at $10 for a 15lb bag but figured I'd give this stiff a try.

  4. #319
    swamprat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Westchase, FL
    Posts
    29,299

    1st time doing something like this...

    I took a pork tenderloin, rubbed it down good with John Henry's East Texas rub (Old Bob's Hickory & Garlic), wrapped it up in bacon, got the grill stablized at 350, and grilled it with indirect heat until the internal temp got to 170. Took about an hour and a half.

    Came out juicy and tender. I give the credit to the bacon. I'll try it without the bacon, next time.

  5. #320
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    29,777

    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    1st time doing something like this...

    I took a pork tenderloin, rubbed it down good with John Henry's East Texas rub (Old Bob's Hickory & Garlic), wrapped it up in bacon, got the grill stablized at 350, and grilled it with indirect heat until the internal temp got to 170. Took about an hour and a half.

    Came out juicy and tender. I give the credit to the bacon. I'll try it without the bacon, next time.
    That sounds spectacular!

  6. #321
    NEERFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Location
    Contest Stalwart per mcpapa
    Posts
    34,457

    I've been in my new house for eight days. I have used the Blackstone 5-6 times including breakfast this morning. One of the best investments I've ever made.

  7. #322
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    9,442

    Grilled at a buddies house last night...burgers, chicken breasts, brats and a couple of small NY strips. Yum yum. Got some now telling me I make the best burgers they have ever had, one asking for my recipe today as he's grilling at his sisters tonight and wanted it. Gotta say it's pretty darn good.

  8. #323
    NEERFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Location
    Contest Stalwart per mcpapa
    Posts
    34,457

    Shrimp on the barbie.

  9. #324
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    8,434

    You're gonna love that griddle @NEERFAN!

  10. #325
    NEERFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Location
    Contest Stalwart per mcpapa
    Posts
    34,457

    Quote Originally Posted by JDEaston View Post
    You're gonna love that griddle @NEERFAN!
    Head over heels.

  11. #326

    Join Date
    Feb 06
    Location
    C'BURG
    Posts
    6,512

    Quote Originally Posted by NEERFAN View Post
    I've been in my new house for eight days. I have used the Blackstone 5-6 times including breakfast this morning. One of the best investments I've ever made.
    Got the 36" from amazon for $150 during prime days.

    Should be here tomorrow.

  12. #327

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Location
    Negan's Compound
    Posts
    3,419

    Anybody in here use a vertical smoker?

  13. #328
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    8,434

    Quote Originally Posted by NKYknowitall View Post
    Anybody in here use a vertical smoker?
    I don't have one but I have used the electric Masterbuilts before. They're great if you want want the smoker to literally do all of the work for you, but to me that takes all of the fun out of it hah. They also have a lower smoke profile than charcoal/wood fired smokers. Instead of using chips in the smoke box you can get a tube or maze for pellets though and use those to generate smoke and get a pretty good smoke profile.

  14. #329

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Location
    Negan's Compound
    Posts
    3,419

    Quote Originally Posted by JDEaston View Post
    I don't have one but I have used the electric Masterbuilts before. They're great if you want want the smoker to literally do all of the work for you, but to me that takes all of the fun out of it hah. They also have a lower smoke profile than charcoal/wood fired smokers. Instead of using chips in the smoke box you can get a tube or maze for pellets though and use those to generate smoke and get a pretty good smoke profile.
    I’m looking for one but with coals and wood. I’m not an electric fan. Just curious to see what people know by experience with it. Reviews are mixed on several of these so I was hoping to catch some insight in here.

  15. #330
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    8,434

    Quote Originally Posted by NKYknowitall View Post
    I’m looking for one but with coals and wood. I’m not an electric fan. Just curious to see what people know by experience with it. Reviews are mixed on several of these so I was hoping to catch some insight in here.
    A coal/woodburning vertical smoker is actually pretty efficient and adds a nice smoked flavor. The big key with those is how well they are insulated, ie, thickness of the metal. If the metal is thick enough they are really good smokers and much more efficient than the offset smokers.

Top