Gen Z Is Killing Cash

Page 2 of Gen Z is about to kill cash | Retail Dive Using their phones to pay more and more. Advertisement 0 0 0    ... 135 comments | 5567 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    StrongSide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Location
    Birds Nest
    Posts
    1,594

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    For me, it's because on average you spend an extra 12-15% when you use one as opposed to cash.
    I get that, its much easier mentally to swipe a card than it is to hand over hard cash.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    62,738

    Quote Originally Posted by StrongSide View Post
    I get that, its much easier mentally to swipe a card than it is to hand over hard cash.
    No doubt. I used to do the whole, pay it off each month thing with credit cards. Once we started using cash for everything, it was eye-opening the amount of money we save each month simply by using cash and our debit card compared to credit.

  3. #18
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    10,443

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    I wish they'd let me use a card reader at GABP.
    Then youd have to pay taxes on your tips. Haha

  4. #19
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    10,443

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    My kids range from 22-30 years old, none of them carry cash even when driving home which can be up to over 200 miles one way. Drives me nuts.
    Im in that age range and my parents always told me the same thing and I never understood why it mattered? What would I possibly need cash for?

  5. #20
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    62,738

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    I’m in that age range and my parents always told me the same thing and I never understood why it mattered? What would I possibly need cash for?
    I've been at a gas station where the card machines were down before. That would really suck if you didn't have any cash and were in desperate need of gas.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,490

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    I’m in that age range and my parents always told me the same thing and I never understood why it mattered? What would I possibly need cash for?
    Any type of emergency purchase. The system could be down where you have to stop. There are several exits along their routes where there is but a single facility for gas. If they're experiencing an outage on their debit/credit system that would be a problem.

  7. #22
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    10,443

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    I've been at a gas station where the card machines were down before. That would really suck if you didn't have any cash and were in desperate need of gas.

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    Any type of emergency purchase. The system could be down where you have to stop. There are several exits along their routes where there is but a single facility for gas. If they're experiencing an outage on their debit/credit system that would be a problem.
    ATM down too? Odds of both being down is very slim. The one thing my parents did always tell me that I do follow is to never let my tank get below a 1/3 of a tank so I also wouldn’t ever really be in that situation to begin with.

  8. #23
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    62,738

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    ATM down too? Odds of both being down is very slim. The one thing my parents did always tell me that I do follow is to never let my tank get below a 1/3 of a tank so I also wouldn’t ever really be in that situation to begin with.
    Not every gas station, especially those off exits with one little gas stop, have ATM machines.

  9. #24
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    19,985

    Gas station ATM, that seems safe.

  10. #25
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    10,443

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Not every gas station, especially those off exits with one little gas stop, have ATM machines.
    I can’t remember the last time I went to a gas station that didn’t have an ATM.

  11. #26
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    10,443

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Gas station ATM, that seems safe.
    Probably 90% of the time I withdraw cash it’s at a cash station ATM. I don’t see how that’s any different than a drive through at the bank.

  12. #27
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    51,517

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Then youd have to pay taxes on your tips. Haha
    Oh, I'd still definitely prefer that we use cash. But I miss out on a handful of sales a game because people only have a card.

  13. #28
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    51,517

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    For me, it's because on average you spend an extra 12-15% when you use one as opposed to cash.
    I know that I'm the exception, but I spend way more frivolously with cash, but that's because in my mind, I've convinced myself that cash is fun money.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,490

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    ATM down too? Odds of both being down is very slim. The one thing my parents did always tell me that I do follow is to never let my tank get below a 1/3 of a tank so I also wouldn’t ever really be in that situation to begin with.
    Why not start out with the cash rather than rely on an ATM that may or may not be available? Never hurts to be prepared for the unexpected.

  15. #30
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    19,985

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Probably 90% of the time I withdraw cash it’s at a cash station ATM. I don’t see how that’s any different than a drive through at the bank.
    Idk just seems unsafe to me. I dont use ATMs at all so moot point really I guess.

Top