Ford to stop making all but two cars for North America

  1. #1
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    45,434

    Ford to stop making all but two cars for North America

    Ford Motors announced that starting in 2020 they will only be selling two car models in the US, The Focus Active and the iconic Mustang. Ford will focus production on SUV's, Trucks and Crossover vehicles in North America. No word yet if the Lincoln brand will be reducing the number of cars in their lineup. GM Spokesman has said this shift has been coming for a while and that GM will likely move in that direction also over the coming years.

    Ford is basically giving up on US car business; GM isn't far behind
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,002

    Surprised but not surprised. I manage digital marketing campaigns for dealerships across the country, and dealers basically can’t give away Fusions or Tauruses, and the margins are super thin (sometimes losing money)on Focus and Fiesta. And search volume online is way lower than trucks and SUV’s, so much much so, they often invest little to no money on those models. Still, it’s hard to believe they wouldn’t keep at least one midsize, sedan in the lineup.

  3. #3
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    49,190

    Ford makes all their money in trucks. Probably a smart business move overall.

    That said, I love my '14 Fusion.

  4. #4
    OlDog75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Sittin' in the stands above the 50 yard line.
    Posts
    9,571

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Ford makes all their money in trucks. Probably a smart business move overall.

    That said, I love my '14 Fusion.
    So does my wife, solid car. Yet, Ford is still going to crank out the Focus as a "crossover" with that awful dual clutch automatic transmission that still has not been perfected. LOTS of issues with that tranny.

  5. #5
    LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    In God's hands
    Posts
    56,137

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Ford makes all their money in trucks. Probably a smart business move overall.

    That said, I love my '14 Fusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlDog75 View Post
    So does my wife, solid car. Yet, Ford is still going to crank out the Focus as a "crossover" with that awful dual clutch automatic transmission that still has not been perfected. LOTS of issues with that tranny.
    What is your wife doing in @TheDeuce's car?

  6. #6
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    9,396

    We worked with the Ford truck plant on their expansion a couple of years ago in Louisville. They can't make enough of those large full-size pickups to meet demand. And the profit margin on those is huge. There is almost no profit in the small car segment and it's been that way for a long time. I read that article earlier today and Ford is stating billions of dollars in cost savings. but like was mentioned above would be hard to not see a midsize offering.

  7. #7
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    49,190

    Quote Originally Posted by LRCW View Post
    What is your wife doing in @TheDeuce's car?

  8. #8
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    49,190

    Quote Originally Posted by BigVMan23 View Post
    We worked with the Ford truck plant on their expansion a couple of years ago in Louisville. They can't make enough of those large full-size pickups to meet demand. And the profit margin on those is huge. There is almost no profit in the small car segment and it's been that way for a long time. I read that article earlier today and Ford is stating billions of dollars in cost savings. but like was mentioned above would be hard to not see a midsize offering.
    My good friend is a super at FTP. He told me a while ago the number of trucks they had on order and it was an absurd number.

  9. #9
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,021

    Quote Originally Posted by LRCW View Post
    What is your wife doing in @TheDeuce's car?

  10. #10
    OlDog75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Sittin' in the stands above the 50 yard line.
    Posts
    9,571

    Quote Originally Posted by LRCW View Post
    What is your wife doing in @TheDeuce's car?
    Yeah, worded wrong. Wife has a 2014 Fusion. Thanks for the help LRCW.

  11. #11
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    9,396

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    My good friend is a super at FTP. He told me a while ago the number of trucks they had on order and it was an absurd number.
    I was told while there that if they wanted, Ford could sell every truck that came off the line to just China. Wow.

  12. #12
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    49,190

    Quote Originally Posted by BigVMan23 View Post
    I was told while there that if they wanted, Ford could sell every truck that came off the line to just China. Wow.
    Crazy to think, especially when you see how many are riding around here.

  13. #13
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,693

    Man, I love the F250/F350 but I just can't imagine paying the sticker for a new one. They cost more than the first house I ever bought.

  14. #14
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    19,609

    Quote Originally Posted by littleluck55 View Post
    Man, I love the F250/F350 but I just can't imagine paying the sticker for a new one. They cost more than the first house I ever bought.
    If you pay the sticker you are doing it wrong.

  15. #15
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,693

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    If you pay the sticker you are doing it wrong.
    I wouldn't know because I have never bought myself a new vehicle. But depending what you get, the msrp for a F350 is from $38k to $67k. Even if you get $10k off that price, that is a hefty bill.

Top