Florida Beach Recommendations

Page 2 of We're headed that way at the end of March. We're looking for one of the closer beaches to NKY, like Destin. Suggestions?... 81 comments | 2909 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    9,342

    Luxury or just a nice clean place by the beach?
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    46,044

    March April May
    Atlantic Ocean
    Miami Beach 75 78 81
    Stuart Beach 70 73 77
    Daytona Beach 65 72 77
    St Augustine Beach 61 70 76
    Fernandina Beach 62 70 77
    Gulf of Mexico
    Key West 75 78 82
    Naples 71 77 82
    St. Petersburg 68 74 80
    Cedar Key 66 73 80
    Pensacola 63 71 78

    Average water temps...

  3. #18
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    62,510

    Quote Originally Posted by coldweatherfan View Post
    Luxury or just a nice clean place by the beach?
    Either's fine.

  4. #19
    ColonelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    34,117

    I assume you're driving? Any kids, other than yourself?

  5. #20
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    62,510

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCrazy View Post
    I assume you're driving? Any kids, other than yourself?


    Just one other than me.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    Ugh.
    Any water temp in March in Destin is about 66.

  7. #22
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    62,510

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Any water temp in March in Destin is about 66.
    I never considered water temperature. We were in Clearwater a couple of years ago at the end of March and the water was fine. Of course, that was a lot farther south.

  8. #23
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    19,278

    We go to Destin every other year for spring break, 1st week in April. Water is bareable but not that enjoyable. I wouldn't even try to get in in March.

  9. #24
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    19,278

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    I never considered water temperature. We were in Clearwater a couple of years ago at the end of March and the water was fine. Of course, that was a lot farther south.
    I I was in St Pete at the end of sept water felt like bath water. Went to Gulf Shores 2 weeks later and water was pretty dang chilly. There's a huge difference between North Gulf and down as far as Tampa.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    12 hours also gets your to the NE coast/Jacksonville area which you might like. Atlantic gives you better wave action.

    As far as the panhandle goes you obviously have Destin which I'm not big on - way too crowded for ol' Clyde. 2 hours east is a quiet little beach called Mexico Beach. Really quiet. If you go west of Destin you get over towards Alabama and they have the same nice beaches. We stayed in Perdido Key which is right on the state line. Nice area. Cross the state line and you have some nice Bama beaches as well. About the same drive as you have to Destin. It's also close to Pensacola if you want a city to visit.

  11. #26
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    62,510

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    12 hours also gets your to the NE coast/Jacksonville area which you might like. Atlantic gives you better wave action.

    As far as the panhandle goes you obviously have Destin which I'm not big on - way too crowded for ol' Clyde. 2 hours east is a quiet little beach called Mexico Beach. Really quiet. If you go west of Destin you get over towards Alabama and they have the same nice beaches. We stayed in Perdido Key which is right on the state line. Nice area. Cross the state line and you have some nice Bama beaches as well. About the same drive as you have to Destin. It's also close to Pensacola if you want a city to visit.
    I don't care for huge crowds either, but it's not a deal breaker.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,807

    Marco Island in Naples.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Feb 06
    Location
    C'BURG
    Posts
    6,452

    Vacationed in Pensacola last year and loved it. Beautiful beaches. Not too crowded but also not secluded.

  14. #29
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    7,889

    I'm with Mountain Ref, never thought I would say that lol. But i'd be looking at the Naples area for that time of year. Naples itself is great, Marco island and Sanibel island are great as well. Marco is just south of Naples and Sanibel is just north off the coast of ft. Myers. You also have estero island, otherwise known as fort Myers Beach there as well. The Naples/Ft. Myers area has always been my favorite part of Florida.

  15. #30
    swamprat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Uniendo Los Toros
    Posts
    28,264

    Randy, if you want to come back to Clearwater, you can break the trip into 2 parts. When we come up there, I will usually leave here after work on Friday, around 5 or 5:30 pm. We'll drive until we get to Kennesaw. There is a Springfield Inn there, right off of I-75, that is reasonably priced. We usually end up back on the road by 7 or 8 the next morning. We do the reverse coming home.

Top