Elevator Etiquette/Discomfort

  1. #1
    Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    90,544

    Elevator Etiquette/Discomfort

    A trend I've noticed over the last year or so regards elevators.

    If I'm on an elevator with one other person and we're NOT having a conversation I often get a "have a good day" from the person when they exit.

    Is it being polite? Or , my theory, is it mainly a "I've got to say something - this silence is killing me?"

    Anyone else a)notice it or b)say it when exiting an elevator?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Beechwoodfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Posts
    5,166

    They're just being friendly. I am a "have a good day" person.

  3. #3
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    44,395

    I think they're being friendly. Sometimes I speak and sometimes I don't.

  4. #4
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    6,385

    I always speak. The world is a better place when we are friendly and respectful towards one another.

  5. #5
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    60,808

    Elevator behavior has always made me laugh. People stand there and no one says anything. They just stare at the numbers, like something different is going to happen this time--like it'll go from 1 to 5 to 4 or something.

    So I usually get on the elevator and go stand right next to someone just to make them feel uncomfortable.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Location
    Stuck in the middle with you
    Posts
    1,620

    I find that looking people in the eye, smiling and speaking to them makes me feel good. By their reactions I'm guessing it has the same effect on most of them. If it doesn't, it's on them.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Posts
    777

    I usually break the ice by walking in and saying floor ----- please, and if a convo starts from that I roll with it.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Posts
    777

    Another note on elevator etiquette, does it drive anyone else a little crazy when the people waiting to get on the elevator rush the door when it opens and do not let the people exiting on that floor get off first?

  9. #9
    lawildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    The Compound
    Posts
    16,531

    Quote Originally Posted by StrongSide View Post
    Another note on elevator etiquette, does it drive anyone else a little crazy when the people waiting to get on the elevator rush the door when it opens and do not let the people exiting on that floor get off first?
    If you ain't first you're last.

  10. #10
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    48,112

    Quote Originally Posted by THE SHERIFF View Post
    I find that looking people in the eye, smiling and speaking to them makes me feel good. By their reactions I'm guessing it has the same effect on most of them. If it doesn't, it's on them.
    Patch Adams lifestyle.

  11. #11
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    8,564

    I just usually fart and look at them with a big, Cheshire cat smile. Breaks the ice every time.

  12. #12
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    55,286

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    Elevator behavior has always made me laugh. People stand there and no one says anything. They just stare at the numbers, like something different is going to happen this time--like it'll go from 1 to 5 to 4 or something.

    So I usually get on the elevator and go stand right next to someone just to make them feel uncomfortable.
    Friend of mine in college and I used to do this routinely. Or stand in the corner and look into the corner instead of looking at anyone. Fun times.

  13. #13
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    52,507

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    Friend of mine in college and I used to do this routinely. Or stand in the corner and look into the corner instead of looking at anyone. Fun times.
    If you really want to mess up a bunch of corporate zombies on a full elevator ride, instead of doing the accepted behavior and walking in and turning to face the door like everyone else, go ahead and don't turn around and stare right into their faces for the whole elevator ride. The uncomfortableness quotient will go through the roof. Especially if you start acting like you know everybody in there and start talking about the mythical party you saw each one of them at the night before.

  14. #14
    TAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    13,141

    I always ask them to push the button for a floor that does not exist. 15 floor hotel. "17 please" It takes them a few seconds and they always giggle.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Location
    Stuck in the middle with you
    Posts
    1,620

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    Patch Adams lifestyle.
    Most of us have the resources to be kind and helpful. Doesn't take a financial commitment, only a bit of time and effort.

Top Elevator Etiquette/Discomfort