Disney World-- What To Do/What Not To Do

Page 3 of I've been going to Disney every year with my family for basically the past 20 years. My parents bought a DVC membership in 2001 and just bought our 2nd... 105 comments | 2908 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    6,317

    Quote Originally Posted by mountain ref View Post
    I disagree about staying at a Disney Hotel. If your going there to stay just at hotel then fine. If you wont be at hotel but to sleep then no reason to pay 3X as much at a cheaper hotel. Only perk is free parking and extra magic hours but if you plan your trip to go to parks that dont have extra hours that day then you miss a lot of people.
    Have you stayed on property before? Nothing wrong with that, but let's say you go to Magic Kingdom and stay for the fireworks, you have to take the monorail to the ticket center or the ferry. Odds are you may not even get on the first monorail or ferry. Then you have to wait for a shuttle to take you to your car when you get there. Then you have to deal with traffic getting out of Disney. Or you could stay on property and be back at your resort in 20 minutes. You say free parking like it's no big deal. The parking adds up, the driving adds up. After that how much money are you really saving? I'm just curious where you stayed on property if you did?
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    6,317

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    It's all a matter of preference obviously, but if you want to save some money I would go against Grant's suggestion and stay somewhere other than a Disney property. You will save literally hundreds of dollars, and you can find non-Disney hotels within a 10-15 minute drive of the parks.

    If you want to save money or spend it on something other than lodging, don't stay at a Disney property. If the cost doesn't bother you, Grant is absolutely right about staying on property.
    How much per night is a hotel outside of Disney?

  3. #33
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    45,762

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    How much per night is a hotel outside of Disney?
    I've stayed for $100-150 a night every time I've been.

  4. #34
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    6,317

    I'm not trying to allude to the fact that staying on property is the only way to do Disney because it's not. But I've only ever heard great experiences about staying on property and all of the bad experiences I've heard about Disney were from people who stayed off property. This doesn't mean that all off property experiences were bad though because a lot of you have had good opportunities it seems off property. There is no hiding the fact that Disney is expensive. Plain and simple. That's just how it is. When you stay off property you are paying for the Disney experience 24/7. It doesn't go away when you leave when to go back to your resort for the night. Its a completely immersive experience that truly can't be replicated anywhere else in the world. With that said I would never tell anyone how to spend their money. I completely understand the apprehension of spending a lot of money by staying on property, especially if you haven't been before or haven't been in a long time, but from my perspective it's been worth every dime.

  5. #35
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    6,317

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    I've stayed for $100-150 a night every time I've been.
    You can stay on Disney property for $150/ night easily. Only exception being maybe Christmastime.

  6. #36
    mountain ref's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,602

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Have you stayed on property before? Nothing wrong with that, but let's say you go to Magic Kingdom and stay for the fireworks, you have to take the monorail to the ticket center or the ferry. Odds are you may not even get on the first monorail or ferry. Then you have to wait for a shuttle to take you to your car when you get there. Then you have to deal with traffic getting out of Disney. Or you could stay on property and be back at your resort in 20 minutes. You say free parking like it's no big deal. The parking adds up, the driving adds up. After that how much money are you really saving? I'm just curious where you stayed on property if you did?
    I have stayed on Disney before.
    Getting out of Disney is no harder or easier if you stay there, you still have to drive to your resort and I have never had a bad time getting out of there, its very easy to leave.

    If you stay at a Disney hotel, for 4 days and you get to save 80.00 parking. but your hotel cost you 120.00 per night as opposed to 60.00 per night at International Drive. You save 160.00 dollars by staying off the resort.

    All your doing is sleeping at a hotel.
    But I have to admit just being at the hotel at Disney is awesome. I just cant afford it all the time.

  7. #37
    mountain ref's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,602

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    How much per night is a hotel outside of Disney?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    I've stayed for $100-150 a night every time I've been.
    I never spend more than 70.00 and thats at a nice place.

  8. #38
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    45,762

    Quote Originally Posted by mountain ref View Post
    I never spend more than 70.00 and thats at a nice place.
    I found the place we stay. It's the Best Western Gateway on Universal Blvd. Nice hotel and it runs $85-100 a night.

  9. #39
    mountain ref's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,602

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    I found the place we stay. It's the Best Western Gateway on Universal Blvd. Nice hotel and it runs $85-100 a night.
    I may have stayed there, I have stayed at about 7 hotels on that strip. Best ones are by Bahama Breeze and Ripleys and Wonderworks. The ice bar is cool there too.

  10. #40
    mountain ref's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,602

    Has anyone on here ever done the Holy Land Experience in Orlando?

  11. #41
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    45,762

    Quote Originally Posted by mountain ref View Post
    I may have stayed there, I have stayed at about 7 hotels on that strip. Best ones are by Bahama Breeze and Ripleys and Wonderworks. The ice bar is cool there too.
    This one is almost directly across the street from the Wet N Wild water park.

  12. #42
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    6,317

    Quote Originally Posted by mountain ref View Post
    I have stayed on Disney before.
    Getting out of Disney is no harder or easier if you stay there, you still have to drive to your resortand I have never had a bad time getting out of there, its very easy to leave.

    If you stay at a Disney hotel, for 4 days and you get to save 80.00 parking. but your hotel cost you 120.00 per night as opposed to 60.00 per night at International Drive. You save 160.00 dollars by staying off the resort.

    All your doing is sleeping at a hotel.
    But I have to admit just being at the hotel at Disney is awesome. I just cant afford it all the time.
    What do you mean by this? There is free transportation to and from all of the parks if you stay on property? It's a lot easier to leave the park. You may wait for the bus 5 minutes but the buses go in and out different entrances than the cars so you don't have the same traffic to deal with.

  13. #43
    mountain ref's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,602

    I have eaten at Magic Kingdom Cinderella Castle and this summer will eat at Be Our Guest Restaurant. I prefer Casey Corner for food though or Pinocchio village for Pizza

    Have eaten at Hollywood Studios at Hollywood and Vine all you can eat Breakfast. AWESOME.

    Have eaten at Epcot at the Garden Grill, just for character experience, it was Ok. Prefer eating at Germany all you can eat buffet. France for desert.

    I have never eaten at Animal Kingdom other than Pizzafari.

  14. #44
    mountain ref's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,602

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    What do you mean by this? There is free transportation to and from all of the parks if you stay on property? It's a lot easier to leave the park. You may wait for the bus 5 minutes but the buses go in and out different entrances than the cars so you don't have the same traffic to deal with.
    I have done the busses and by the time they make their stops I could have already been back to hotel.
    I have taken them from Art of Animation and I could have driven there faster.

    Plus I have my car and I can go if needed in a hurry and not wait on a transport.

  15. #45
    mountain ref's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,602

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    This one is almost directly across the street from the Wet N Wild water park.
    I have stayed close to it. The one I stayed by there was a round hotel.

Top