Big Beer Companies Trying to Push Out Craft Beer

Page 3 of The King of Beers Wants to Push Craft Brews out of Your Supermarket | Mother Jones Distributors whose beer sales are 98 percent InBev brands can get as... 69 comments | 1865 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    23,642

    I honestly don't understand craft beer? What is it, where is it & why should I care?
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    12,091

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    Was talking to my boss at lunch about this and said that we need to start a Craft Only distribution. Sure we won't compete with the big dogs but could still make some decent money doing it. I'm sure it won't be long til their are some. Just will take time.
    The issues are many, and it would be a long time before you were making a decent amount doing it. You'll need reefer trucks if you're distributing it cold, but even if everything is at room temperature, you'll need solidly built box trucks. You'll also need a mechanic on your staff to manage the garage and the maintenance of it / them. You'll need a huge warehouse, partially cold, partially dry storage. You'll need forks and palette jacks. You'll need sellers unless you're going to only handle inbound calls from bars. You'll have to have drivers, warehouse workers, admin staff, etc. The costs are significant, and the mark up legally allowed on beer distributors isn't nearly what you likely think it is.

    The crafts that will do well, contrary to an earlier post, are the ones that have climbed into bed with AB / InBev and Miller Cooors / "soon to be InBev" distributors to move their product because they'll be part of their "incentive packages". The local craft guy who just delivers his stuff in the back of a truck straight to the bar is going to have a really hard time assuring his establishments that they'll move enough products to offset the potential loss of incentive money.

    I don't begrudge InBev one iota for trying to use every ounce of leverage that they have, and I don't begrudge loyal craft drinkers for thumbing their nose at them.

    Golden Rule...he with the gold, makes the rules.

  3. #33
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    68,902

    I'm past the point in my life where I want to drink 12 bud lights. I'd rather have 2-3 craft beers and call it a night. #imold

  4. #34
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    20,796

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    I'm past the point in my life where I want to drink 12 bud lights. I'd rather have 2-3 craft beers and call it a night. #imold
    And there was even a time in my life (read: college) where that beer of choice wasn't Bud Light because 12 Bud Lights cost so much more than the stuff I was buying.

  5. #35
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    47,303

    Quote Originally Posted by MentschTrachtGottLacht View Post
    The issues are many, and it would be a long time before you were making a decent amount doing it. You'll need reefer trucks if you're distributing it cold, but even if everything is at room temperature, you'll need solidly built box trucks. You'll also need a mechanic on your staff to manage the garage and the maintenance of it / them. You'll need a huge warehouse, partially cold, partially dry storage. You'll need forks and palette jacks. You'll need sellers unless you're going to only handle inbound calls from bars. You'll have to have drivers, warehouse workers, admin staff, etc. The costs are significant, and the mark up legally allowed on beer distributors isn't nearly what you likely think it is.

    The crafts that will do well, contrary to an earlier post, are the ones that have climbed into bed with AB / InBev and Miller Cooors / "soon to be InBev" distributors to move their product because they'll be part of their "incentive packages". The local craft guy who just delivers his stuff in the back of a truck straight to the bar is going to have a really hard time assuring his establishments that they'll move enough products to offset the potential loss of incentive money.

    I don't begrudge InBev one iota for trying to use every ounce of leverage that they have, and I don't begrudge loyal craft drinkers for thumbing their nose at them.

    Golden Rule...he with the gold, makes the rules.
    You just ruined my dreams lol.

  6. #36
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    47,303

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    And there was even a time in my life (read: college) where that beer of choice wasn't Bud Light because 12 Bud Lights cost so much more than the stuff I was buying.
    I think about that from time to time. If I want to go cheap, it's Miller Lite, not Nati Light or Keystone anymore.

  7. #37
    World B Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Location
    UK / CCH / Bengals / Reds bandwagon
    Posts
    602

    Interesting how tall boys (16 oz) cans have become more prevalent these days & often discounted to same price as 12 oz. cans. There's your added Alcohol content.

  8. #38
    Habib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    Buy the ticket, take the ride
    Posts
    11,891

    I buy a lot of beer.

    If this list is accurate, I can't remember the last time I bought a beer from AB InBev (I suspect it might not be accurate, though).

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AB_InBev_brands

    I've gotten more from MillerCoors. Usually will get Coors Light at a sports bar if I'm going to be there a while. You can usually get Yuengling for the same price, though. I buy Leinenkugel every now and then.

    MillerCoors: Age Verification

  9. #39
    Habib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    Buy the ticket, take the ride
    Posts
    11,891

    I buy a lot of beer.

    If this list is accurate, I can't remember the last time I bought a beer from AB InBev (I suspect it might not be accurate, though).

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AB_InBev_brands

    I've gotten more from MillerCoors. Usually will get Coors Light at a sports bar if I'm going to be there a while. You can usually get Yuengling for the same price, though. I buy Leinenkugel every now and then.

    MillerCoors: Age Verification

  10. #40
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    47,303

    Quote Originally Posted by World B Free View Post
    Interesting how tall boys (16 oz) cans have become more prevalent these days & often discounted to same price as 12 oz. cans. There's your added Alcohol content.
    Is it though? I'm trying to make a past member proud with all my math today:

    12 ounces of Truth at 7.2% = .864 ounces of alcohol
    16 ounces of Bud Light at 4.2% = .672 ounces of alcohol

  11. #41
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    47,303

    And with all good arguments, someone eventually has to bring patriotism into it. Drinking craft beer is more American!

  12. #42
    World B Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Location
    UK / CCH / Bengals / Reds bandwagon
    Posts
    602

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    Is it though? I'm trying to make a past member proud with all my math today:

    12 ounces of Truth at 7.2% = .864 ounces of alcohol
    16 ounces of Bud Light at 4.2% = .672 ounces of alcohol
    Typical American consumer not able to do that math, especially after that initial few ounces. haha

  13. #43
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    42,444

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    Tastes like stale beer.
    No beer or alcohol tastes good... It's just a matter of how bad it tastes.

  14. #44
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    42,444

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    I'm past the point in my life where I want to drink 12 bud lights. I'd rather have 2-3 craft beers and call it a night. #imold
    Or man up and drink some bourbon.

  15. #45
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    47,303

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    No beer or alcohol tastes good... It's just a matter of how bad it tastes.

Top