Answer me this Einstein.........

Page 3 of Why do joggers feel compelled to run in the streets? Are the sidewalks not good enough for them? At times I feel like throwing my coffee/drink on them,... 44 comments | 1481 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    41,533

    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell View Post
    The only time I have a real issues withe bikers is when they ride 2 or 3 abreast and don't give you room to pass they. I will swing out wide to go around them but if they are 2 wide sometimes you can't.

    To the whole point of they have as much right to the road, I know that's the case BUT I really believe that bikes should have to be licensed and that fee put into the road fund. Yes they have the right to the road but they do nothing to pay for upkeep.
    I would be fine to license a bike, but the flip side of the argument is that bikers make the cost of road construction less because their impact is exponentially less than that of a vehicle. The bigger issue is that 99% of roads are not equipped with necessary bike/ped facilities. For one, it was never considered; two, back in mid-1900s communities were built to maximize road width while ignoring bikes (and sidewalks); and third, so little goes towards bike facilities. Luckily communities now are making efforts to build separate bike lanes and accommodate these features, but to retrofit in cost book-oodles. The contributing of funds is great, but I just view that as ammo to throw back at the biking community. Still it comes down to motorists hating to drive around them or slowing down when in contact.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    41,533

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    While we are on this subject, I will take a minute to complain about bikers. And first of all, I enjoy riding my bike. However, many of the roads in our area, while scenic and great for biking, also are the only roads for cars. Why do the bikers have to think they are in the tour de France and ride 4 wide across a very narrow road? Also, I ride horses at Masterson Station in Lexington with others, and the head of the equestrian program has repeatedly talked to the people leading the bikers group for their Monday night ride, but the bikers can't seem to get the fact that horses don't understand bikes. And what a prey animal doesn't understand, it fears. That fear CAN cause a panic situation which would not be good for those novices on lesson horses. My ride is pretty bomb-proof, but I can't count how many times bikers have come speeding up to or by us and some of the horses are quite jumpy. It makes me wonder if the bikers don't feel it is their obligation to share the space nicely.
    Going 4 wide is stupid. To answer why they go 2 wide, studies show it is safer. From a visual perspective, drivers are more apt to treat bikers as a vehicle going two wide as opposed to single file where motorists will ride as close as possible to the bikers.

    And while I bike, I understand how difficult the biking community can be. I assure you I am not one of those folks. I do my best to give cars enough room as possible.

  3. #33
    swamprat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Westchase, FL
    Posts
    30,596

    In Florida, you can ride a bike on the sidewalk, if you keep the speed under 22 mph.

    My son was hit by a car, when in a bicycle lane in Gainseville when he was going to school up there. Luckly only broke his collar bone.

    There are bike lanes practically from where I get on the road, until I get to work. I thought about riding my bike to work, but after seeing a guy get nailed by a car that swerved into the bike lane, I put that out of my head. I see too many knuckleheads texting while driving to ever do that.

    I'm fortunate to have several bike trails for me ride in the area. It's been a while, but I used to ride the Upper Tampa Bay Trail, who's trailhead is not far from my home, 16 miles round trip.

    The trailhead of the Suncoast Trail is not far from me either. I've done that one a few times, but not the full 84 mile round trip.

    There's also the Courtney Campbell Trail which crosses the bay, from Clearwater to Rocky Point, running parallel with the causeway of the same name. It's 5 miles end to end, but a rush with the wind and the bay around you. Only did that one once and liked not of made it back. The wind provides a major workout. Wore my rear out.

    Those are just the ones I've been on. There are tons. Someday, I want to ride the Pinellas Trail, but you have to negotiate some vehicular traffic areas along the way.

  4. #34
    swamprat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Westchase, FL
    Posts
    30,596

    I have less of a complaint about bikes and more of a gripe about Vespas. Two people on a Vespa doing 25 in a 45 during a rain storm, traveling on a busy 2 lane road, drives me nuts.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Any complaints I've ever had about runners and bikers have dissipated. In my neck of the woods, you just have to learn patience. There are the bikers training for something...they love these roads for some reason. There are the Mennonites on bikes. The Amish on bikes, horseback, walking...There are the farmers and their tractors and other beastly looking equipment. And then there are the people who just drive 35 MPH no matter what the speed limit may be.

  6. #36
    ColonelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    34,253

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom View Post
    Any complaints I've ever had about runners and bikers have dissipated. In my neck of the woods, you just have to learn patience. There are the bikers training for something...they love these roads for some reason. There are the Mennonites on bikes. The Amish on bikes, horseback, walking...There are the farmers and their tractors and other beastly looking equipment. And then there are the people who just drive 35 MPH no matter what the speed limit may be.
    Wow that would be quite the exercise in patience! How many miles do you drive each way?

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCrazy View Post
    Wow that would be quite the exercise in patience! How many miles do you drive each way?
    96.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Location
    Bluegrass Region
    Posts
    10,520

    I love the "Share the road" signs - on roads that are physically the same as they have been for 50+ years when they were built. But they have some nice painted lanes on them.

    We do not need to "share" the road as much as we need roads, paths, routes, etc. that are ENGINEERED for their purpose. Go ask the engineer of a simple road done 50 years ago if he or she designed that road to carry joggers, bicyclists, cars and semis all at the same time. We know the answer. Most roads were never designed for this mix and painting some lines on that same road that has not physically changed does not change the specifications for the original design.

    If you want the non-vehicular traffic on the road then it should be designed, and engineered in, from the start. When roads are redone they usually do good things in this regard. But just painting some lines on an existing road (that make the car lane narrower and reduce buffer space and error management) and sticking up a sign that says "Share the road" is not a safety first approach. It is an enticement to danger.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Mar 12
    Posts
    199

    Throwing coffee/drink on them seems a little harsh.

  10. #40
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    41,533

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrasscard View Post
    I love the "Share the road" signs - on roads that are physically the same as they have been for 50+ years when they were built. But they have some nice painted lanes on them.

    We do not need to "share" the road as much as we need roads, paths, routes, etc. that are ENGINEERED for their purpose. Go ask the engineer of a simple road done 50 years ago if he or she designed that road to carry joggers, bicyclists, cars and semis all at the same time. We know the answer. Most roads were never designed for this mix and painting some lines on that same road that has not physically changed does not change the specifications for the original design.

    If you want the non-vehicular traffic on the road then it should be designed, and engineered in, from the start. When roads are redone they usually do good things in this regard. But just painting some lines on an existing road (that make the car lane narrower and reduce buffer space and error management) and sticking up a sign that says "Share the road" is not a safety first approach. It is an enticement to danger.
    Roads designed 50 years ago were designed for two things. Allow for rapid movement (i.e. highway design type features with wider roads), and not built to accommodate the large equipment we now have. While efforts are made to retrofit bike and pedestrian traffic, most do not have that financial capability.

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    So, then this morning, I'm driving through the Patoka Lake area and BAM! Traffic is stopped, police...all kinds of commotion. Turns out it was my coworkers...filming a TV commercial. So...10 minutes late to work because of work.

  12. #42
    BigTuna6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Scranton, PA
    Posts
    491

    The thing that kills me is when you get a group of bikers and they are on the road taking up enough space that you cannot safely pass them. And they are typically doing 15 mph under the limit.

  13. #43
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,015

    Developers are the root of all evil. We tax existing land-owners out of the ability to keep their land, then allow the developers to make a mint with little responsibility for infrastructure...that become the government and the people's problem. Then when we have more commerce and more people traveling to our ever-spreading communities, we have conflict. It only makes sense.

    Then we can enjoy riding our bikes or run through the urban blight left over unattended because the option above was more cost-effective.

  14. #44
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    41,533

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    Developers are the root of all evil. We tax existing land-owners out of the ability to keep their land, then allow the developers to make a mint with little responsibility for infrastructure...that become the government and the people's problem. Then when we have more commerce and more people traveling to our ever-spreading communities, we have conflict. It only makes sense.

    Then we can enjoy riding our bikes or run through the urban blight left over unattended because the option above was more cost-effective.
    This here. When you have cities that stick to their guns with new developments, things would be much better. Not to mention, while it is more cost-effective to not put in these features, the return is much better with sidewalks, bike lanes, and trails. People want to have that access and it is much more attractive to buyers.

  15. #45
    InItToWinIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Location
    The gym
    Posts
    1,686

    I always thought some people thought it was better for their feet/knees to run on the street.

    I don't find that in my experience (although I only run on hardwood), but that's what I've assumed.

Top