Alzheimer's sucks

Page 3 of My uncle passed this morning after a battle with this incideous disease. In the last few years he literally lost everyone, not even knowing his wife of... 40 comments | 1408 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    的've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    28,499

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    My heart breaks for you, RTS. Such a devastating illness for the families of those afflicted. My sincere condolences. You are in my thoughts.
    Thank you, SF. I can't begin to tell you how much that means to me. My family and I really appreciate you thinking of us.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    的've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    28,499

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    Prayers.
    Thank you, FF74!

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,276

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    Lost my Dad yesterday, his battle with this horrible disease is over and he is now at peace. My continued prayers for your mom, All Tell and for you.
    I am so sorry I just saw this. My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

    I'm on my way to spend a week and a half with my Mom. While really looking forward to seeing her and Dad I'm a bit terrified on what I'm going to face in the evening at their house. Mom sundowns and gets very agitated in the evening. She says and does things the Mom that raised me would never say or do. We'll see. My siblings and I have been talking about what can be done to help both Mom and Dad around the house. We're looking into a service called Granny Nannies. That could be interesting. Mom is very reluctant to give up anything she's always done, including housekeeping.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    2,373

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    Lost my Dad yesterday, his battle with this horrible disease is over and he is now at peace. My continued prayers for your mom, All Tell and for you.
    So sorry for your loss and for the suffering your father and your family endured. May God's presence bring you peace and comfort.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,276

    Has anyone who has dealt with someone with this ever read the book 36 Hours a Day? Someone I know reccomended it. Wondering if anyone else has read it?

  6. #36
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    的've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    28,499

    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell View Post
    I am so sorry I just saw this. My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

    I'm on my way to spend a week and a half with my Mom. While really looking forward to seeing her and Dad I'm a bit terrified on what I'm going to face in the evening at their house. Mom sundowns and gets very agitated in the evening. She says and does things the Mom that raised me would never say or do. We'll see. My siblings and I have been talking about what can be done to help both Mom and Dad around the house. We're looking into a service called Granny Nannies. That could be interesting. Mom is very reluctant to give up anything she's always done, including housekeeping.
    All Tell, the only advice I can offer is to try your best to be prepared for things you're not going to want to hear. I know that's no help really, but it's the reality of the disease. With my dad, I just apologized to him when he would berate me. I would agree with him even when he made zero sense. I would change the subject whenever he appeared the least bit agitated about something. I'm sure you already know all this, but it's all I really have to offer if things get like they did with my dad. Hurtful things were said to me, but I knew it wasn't really him. It still stung deeply. If things are or get to that point, feel free to vent with me. I'd be glad to offer my cell number if you want and would be happy to talk, anytime. God bless your mom and your family. I'm praying for you all.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,276

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    All Tell, the only advice I can offer is to try your best to be prepared for things you're not going to want to hear. I know that's no help really, but it's the reality of the disease. With my dad, I just apologized to him when he would berate me. I would agree with him even when he made zero sense. I would change the subject whenever he appeared the least bit agitated about something. I'm sure you already know all this, but it's all I really have to offer if things get like they did with my dad. Hurtful things were said to me, but I knew it wasn't really him. It still stung deeply. If things are or get to that point, feel free to vent with me. I'd be glad to offer my cell number if you want and would be happy to talk, anytime. God bless your mom and your family. I'm praying for you all.
    I appreciate this more then you know. It's been an OK week so far. It's had it's ups and downs but really not any worse then I anticipated. So far she hasn't said anything unkind to me but she does say some nasty things to Dad. I just keep telling myself that that isn't my mother, that something horrible has happened to her. I find myself looking at a lot of old pictures. I'll keep your kind offer in mind and will continue to pray for you and your family.

  8. #38
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    "Every atom in our bodies came from a star that exploded. The atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. We are all stardust."
    Posts
    6,911

    My great grandmother had Alzheimer's back in the late sixties/early seventies(before it was called by that name). She became really mean to my great grandfather and my mamaw(her daughter). These were the two people she was closest to and loved the most before she became sick.

  9. #39
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    的've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    28,499

    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell View Post
    I appreciate this more then you know. It's been an OK week so far. It's had it's ups and downs but really not any worse then I anticipated. So far she hasn't said anything unkind to me but she does say some nasty things to Dad. I just keep telling myself that that isn't my mother, that something horrible has happened to her. I find myself looking at a lot of old pictures. I'll keep your kind offer in mind and will continue to pray for you and your family.
    Thank you, and know I'm sincere in what I said. If you need me in any way, I'm here. God bless.

  10. #40
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    "Every atom in our bodies came from a star that exploded. The atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. We are all stardust."
    Posts
    6,911

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    Thank you, and know I'm sincere in what I said. If you need me in any way, I'm here. God bless.
    And I'm here for both of you, anytime. I consider you both friends.

  11. #41
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    的've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    28,499

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    And I'm here for both of you, anytime. I consider you both friends.
    Very kind of you! Thank you so much! I feel the same!

Top