A Great Investing Decision

Page 2 of I've had a stock portfolio for years. It's performed OK. Went down a decent amount in 2008 like many. Last year I decided to cut back on the number of ... 566 comments | 28380 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    I think Cincinnati Bell (CBB) is a nice hold for the next few weeks. .
    I don't do any investing where my timeframe is measured in "weeks."
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    70,921

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I don't do any investing where my timeframe is measured in "weeks."
    You just don't like monitoring it or what?

    I like to have something on the side to play with other than long term trades.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    You just don't like monitoring it or what?

    I like to have something on the side to play with other than long term trades.
    I like to invest in good companies vs good opportunities which can be different.

    Too many variables can affect a short-term (ie weeks) opportunity.

    Plus, I do NOT like to monitor investments very often.

  4. #19
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    70,921

    ^ I think Monitoring them is the most fun thing about it. I will check back in with you in 3 weeks with my 10% gain. I got it at 2.58.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    ^ I think Monitoring them is the most fun thing about it. I will check back in with you in 3 weeks with my 10% gain. I got it at 2.58.
    I hope it works out for you. We all have our styles. I can go well over a month and never think about checking my accounts. I do subscribe to a service that sends me updates on their thoughts. I'll read those to see if anything catches my attention.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    9,020

    Does anyone subscribe to "The Motley Fool"?

  7. #22

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    Quote Originally Posted by SSC View Post
    Does anyone subscribe to "The Motley Fool"?
    I subscribe to them. It's been a good resource.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    9,020

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I subscribe to them. It's been a good resource.
    I get the emails, but don't pay for the info. What was the company they were touting last week b/c of smart phones?

    I don't have many individual stocks, but I have some disposable cash and I'm jumping in really soon. What kind of money would you say I would need to be willing to invest per year to subscribe to something like that?

  9. #24

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    Quote Originally Posted by SSC View Post
    I get the emails, but don't pay for the info. What was the company they were touting last week b/c of smart phones?

    I don't have many individual stocks, but I have some disposable cash and I'm jumping in really soon. What kind of money would you say I would need to be willing to invest per year to subscribe to something like that?
    They have different services. I subscribe to one called "Stock Advisor" which I'm guessing is about $200 per year. Each month the two brothers give a few of their favorite picks plus give you updates on their past recommendations. I have had a lot of success with it. It doesn't take much of a return to get your $200 back plus it's educational.

  10. #25
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    19,031

    What service do you guys use to trade?

  11. #26

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    What service do you guys use to trade?
    TDAmeritrade

  12. #27
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    70,921

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    What service do you guys use to trade?
    Etrade and Zecco (They have the cheapest trades).

  13. #28
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Regardless of color, all soldiers who fall come back wearing red, white, and blue.
    Posts
    20,084

    Do you guys hold for years?

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    8,722

    Question for anybody in this thread:

    I am a 20 year old college student with $5,000 to potentially invest. Who should I go talk to or where should I go to get the best advice on what to do with it?

    I can't stand money just sitting in the bank not working to build upon itself.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Magic View Post
    Question for anybody in this thread:

    I am a 20 year old college student with $5,000 to potentially invest. Who should I go talk to or where should I go to get the best advice on what to do with it?

    I can't stand money just sitting in the bank not working to build upon itself.
    The first question you have to answer is when will you need to dip into it? 1 year? 5 years?

    As far as whom to talk to you have a couple of options: 1. Someone you know (ie someone's dad who is in the business) and 2. more important than #1 is to educate yourself . Never take any one person's advice. I had a great advisor for a while but he also had many, many accounts so his attention was elsewhere (understandably ) and I wasn't a focus. I ended up just using him to placed the trades I came up with using other resources which meant I was not really gaining value from him.

Top