6/2(1+2)

Page 3 of What's the answer?... 45 comments | 1247 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    54,961

    The answer is 1 folks.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    44,882

    Quote Originally Posted by MentschTrachtGottLacht View Post
    See post #27.
    See post #19.

  3. #33
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    12,741

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    See post #19.
    In my opinion, and about a thousand mathematicians (and yes, an equal amount agree with you/them), that person is incorrect because they are misapplying the order due to the poor linear way the question is asked. You don't go left to right before finishing the parenthetical operation, which includes the "2".

  4. #34
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    44,882

    Quote Originally Posted by MentschTrachtGottLacht View Post
    In my opinion, and about a thousand mathematicians (and yes, an equal amount agree with you/them), that person is incorrect because they are misapplying the order due to the poor linear way the question is asked. You don't go left to right before finishing the parenthetical operation, which includes the "2".
    Everything should include The 2.

  5. #35
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    12,741

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Everything should include The 2.

  6. #36
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    26,382

    Order of operations: BEDMAS - Brackets, Exponents, Divide, Multiply, Add, Subtract

    Brackets first: 1+2=3, so the equation is now 6/2(3)
    Exponents: None, so the equation is still 6/2(3)
    Divide: 6/2=3, so the equation is now 3(3)
    Multiply: 3x3=9

    Answer is 9

  7. #37
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    12,741

    If you expand 6 / 2(1+2) is it:


    A) 6 / (2*1 + 2*2) or
    B) (6/2) * (1 + 2)

    It is A, I think we'd all agree.

    My head is going to come off if I come back in this thread...and I actually mean that in a fun way
    .



  8. #38
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    9,006

    The answer, as it is written, is 9. This is not difficult.

    For it to be 1. The equation would have to be written 6/(2(1+2))

  9. #39
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    40,569

    Quote Originally Posted by MentschTrachtGottLacht View Post
    If you expand 6 / 2(1+2) is it:


    A) 6 / (2*1 + 2*2) or
    B) (6/2) * (1 + 2)

    It is A, I think we'd all agree.

    My head is going to come off if I come back in this thread...and I actually mean that in a fun way
    .


    It's B

  10. #40
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    54,961

    Where's @Science Friction? Isn't this his forte'?

  11. #41
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    9,782

    I scored pretty high in algebra in high school, but admittedly over the years have forgotten much that I had learned.

    With that said my instincts instantly had me concluding the answer to be '9' without realizing that there's be any reason to dispute it.

    I see now where the '1' folks are coming from, but I'm still content with sticking with '9'.

    ...And I think that @coldweatherfan in post #38 made a great straightforward case for it in the most simplist of terms.

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    5,306

    I thought it was 1 but can seen 9... I say we compromise and say the answer is 5...

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    5,306

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    2 + 2 = 5
    Reminds me of the joke about the guy who was interviewing two CPA's to be his accountant. He said, "I have one very simple question for you. What is 2 + 2"?

    The first CPA says "4". The second CPA answers "whatever you want it to be". Guess which one got the job

  14. #44
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    52,712

    Quote Originally Posted by ggclfan View Post
    Reminds me of the joke about the guy who was interviewing two CPA's to be his accountant. He said, "I have one very simple question for you. What is 2 + 2"?

    The first CPA says "4". The second CPA answers "whatever you want it to be". Guess which one got the job
    Just a few months later, his math was challenged by federal auditors.

  15. #45
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    9,006

    Edit

Top