10 Most Dangerous States for You and Your Family to Live In

Page 2 of Originally Posted by Sandman You're right, and I'm the most guilty poster of this. I think the two are correlated. If you have some of the most dangero... 22 comments | 1322 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    LIPTON BASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    10,051

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    I think you're missing my point. It's not like if I take a stroll down the street in any of the places you mention it will be assured death. Just like anywhere else, there are good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods. You can get shot in certain neighborhoods of North Charleston or Memphis just as easily as you can in certain neighborhoods of South Chicago or the Bronx. By the same token there are areas of each of those cities that would be comparable to Indian Hills in Cincy or Anchorage in L'ville. Even Detroit has some nice neighborhoods. I've seen them.
    Suburbs. But in the actual city limits not a chance. Right across the highway there is Gross Pointe which has some of the most wealthy people in this country living there and like 8 minutes away Birmingham which is the same deal. But in Detroit? You don't go there unless your downtown at the Casino or a Ballpark.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    LIPTON BASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    10,051

    Didn't USA today just have an article two years ago about about how 4 of the top 10 most deadliest cities in the country were in Michigan ? Detroit, Flint , Saginaw and I want to say Jackson but I could be wrong on the 4th.

  3. #18
    NEERFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Location
    Contest Stalwart per mcpapa
    Posts
    35,256

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I get your premise, and agree that bad things can happen in a lot of places. I disagree on how likely you are to fall into peril in the cities you mentioned as compared to the ones I listed.

    For the record, there are no good neighborhoods in the south side of Chicago, the Bronx, or say Compton. DC proper has to be right up on this list as well.

    Detroit is a big metro area, I'm sure there are some nice neighborhoods in the metro. I've never been there, but from the crime and urban decay docs I've seen, there are plenty of places I don't think the cops even feel safe.

    Two quick stories, and I'm not normally one to be overly worried in most situations.

    Went to a White Sox game the year they opened the then "New Comisky" park. HAD to get gas after the game and thus had to spend a few minutes looking for and pumping gas on the South Side. It was Fourth of July and instead of setting off fireworks, residents were just burning things in the street. Missed the interstate ramp, and ended up in the projects you see from the Dan Ryan. Only time in my life I disregarded all laws, did a U-Turn against the light and got out of dodge. Figured if I got pulled over I'd be safer.

    Part of a group that won a trip to DC. When we check in, the staff tell us not to leave the building alone, ever. And, not to walk the streets at night, even as a group. Sponsor of our trip had scheduled a dinner for us the first night at a place a few blocks away with no transportation. Thus, we walked. Interesting 10 minutes, but no harm.
    July 4th is non a good time to visit the Southside. The residents of O Block is a scary place and that's just from seeing it on the tube.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Northern Ky.
    Posts
    5,097

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    Seems like we are equating a city with a state in many cases.
    You're right, and I'm the most guilty poster of this.

    I think the two are correlated. If you have some of the most dangerous cities in the country, seems to me the said state would fall in the dangerous category.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Northern Ky.
    Posts
    5,097

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    It's almost like people are weighing in without having read the methodology in the article...

    Crime rates are part of it... plus fatalities per 100 miles of vehicle travel, resident sex offenders per capita, and youth incarceration rates.
    I looked at all the stats involved in said article. As I noted in my first post, I think numbers (methodology) can be skewed to show whatever you want. I disagree with the premise.

  6. #21
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,069

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    You're right, and I'm the most guilty poster of this.

    I think the two are correlated. If you have some of the most dangerous cities in the country, seems to me the said state would fall in the dangerous category.
    And I don't buy that logic a lick. Just because Memphis is a poo-hole doesn't mean the rest of Tennessee is. I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna get mugged at Watts Bar Lake. Just like I have no concerns about getting mugged in Cooperstown.

    But by the same token, I'm drawn to the rough neighborhoods. That's where the record stores are. So that being said, I'm not that concerned about any neighborhood I go into. That doesn't mean I'm leaving my car unlocked and windows rolled down or anything. Just that I pay attention and adjust myself accordingly to whatever neighborhood I'm in, ghetto or suburbs.

    You'll only be as afraid as you allow yourself to be, wherever you are. I've found lots of hood rats to be great conversationalists, and many of them will allow you to take their picture if you ask them nicely and approach them the right way.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Northern Ky.
    Posts
    5,097

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    And I don't buy that logic a lick. Just because Memphis is a poo-hole doesn't mean the rest of Tennessee is. I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna get mugged at Watts Bar Lake. Just like I have no concerns about getting mugged in Cooperstown.

    But by the same token, I'm drawn to the rough neighborhoods. That's where the record stores are. So that being said, I'm not that concerned about any neighborhood I go into. That doesn't mean I'm leaving my car unlocked and windows rolled down or anything. Just that I pay attention and adjust myself accordingly to whatever neighborhood I'm in, ghetto or suburbs.

    You'll only be as afraid as you allow yourself to be, wherever you are. I've found lots of hood rats to be great conversationalists, and many of them will allow you to take their picture if you ask them nicely and approach them the right way.
    On the bolded: If the cities I mentioned are among the largest in not only the country, but the world, it stands to reason they may affect more than just their metro area. (NYC, Chicago, LA.) DC is a stand alone area, so if the city is bad, well...

    Ohio has some really nice Quaker communities. It also has areas of Cleveland, Toledo, Akron, Youngstown, Cincinnati, and others that I'd rather be no part of. That, for my money, makes Ohio a bit more dangerous than say South Carolina.

    On the rest of your post, I guess you've got street cred. To me, there's a big difference between going into a "rough" neighborhood, and a deadly one.

  8. #23
    Godot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Sunfish KY
    Posts
    19,103

    It would have been nice if you had posted a link for the beginning of the article. That way we wouldn't have had to read it backwards.

Top